Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Thank you for the welcome 😊 I'm grateful for any pointers.  My partner is teaching me , patience of a saint!  Although he admitted I shocked him with my casting and how quickly I picked it up (shocked myself too 😂)

I'm eager to learn as much as I can and to add to the tips he's giving me, looking forward to trying out the spod mix and catching my first fish. 👍

I've been reading through some of the posts already up so have picked up some useful bits from there that I'll try at the weekend. 

Welcome to Carp.com.

To be honest there is no such thing as a spod mix that is only suitable for spring, summer or winter. A spod mix can be wet, dry, particles, pellets, groundbait, boilie whole or crushed.

You could quite easily use just hemp, or mix it with maize, sweetcorn, pigeon conditioner, any or all of the previous, or a mix of bloodworm, green lipped mussel and coarse pellets.

To some extent what you use is your own secret, and your mix may be your advantage. The important part is how much and where you put it. You don't want to be over feeding the fish, but equally, you want enough to attract them, with enough to maybe feed off other species.

My standard groundbait mix tends to be a mix of Vitalin with Pigeon Mix in it, and then just pour in a few tins of prepared hemp, and a handful or two of pellets, although one lake locally  we have noticed bloodworm and Green Lipped mussel pellets really draw the fish in, they love them.

I can use this either 'dry' and catapult or throw it in, or spod/spomb it, or make it wet and sloppy and spod it in.

Thank you for the advice,  I noticed on one of the other posts that it says not to use anything too oily in cold seasons, so I thought maybe there would be things that worked better in different weather's.

That's exactly why I want to experiment 😊  I don't want to just stick with a set mix I want to find my own combination,  so I thought if I got ideas of what others use I could try adjusting it until I find some different ones that I'm happy with. 

I'm definitely going to give the pigeon conditioner a try,  I had a read up on it earlier and it looks good. 

1 hour ago, Chunkymonkeymoo said:

Thank you for the advice,  I noticed on one of the other posts that it says not to use anything too oily in cold seasons, so I thought maybe there would be things that worked better in different weather's.

That's exactly why I want to experiment 😊  I don't want to just stick with a set mix I want to find my own combination,  so I thought if I got ideas of what others use I could try adjusting it until I find some different ones that I'm happy with. 

I'm definitely going to give the pigeon conditioner a try,  I had a read up on it earlier and it looks good. 

I rarely add any oils to my groundbait or stick mix, although Good Oil (hemp) and Sunflower or Rapeseed oil are very good attractors, just not until the water is warmer, but low levels will work, even in winter.

Other liquids worthwhile including are CSL liquid, Feedstim, Molasses (buy it from animal feed suppliers, not tackle shop).

Have a play, even things like Tinned tuna, in any of its liquids may work.

My best advice is keep your  spod mix simple and cheap, If you have a old cool box that is perfect for preparing particles even hemp (not tiger nuts) with out the need to cook it all and stink your house out. Just simply fill your cool box half full with particle to allow room for it too swell up and cover it with boiling water and seal the cool box, I would use hemp and corn and maybe some boilie and pellets which u can soak in a oil so u get a flat spot on the surface to give you a indication of fish feeding/moving around your bait. Also pigeon food from a farm store would be a good easy start for a spod mix and you can add things like chilli flakes and tins of tuna or other tinned fish for extra attraction.

welcome CMM

spodding is great fun and it will certainly help you improve your casting.  As the others have said you really can wack anything into a spod mix and it would work on most days.   In the spring time I would suggest that zigs are the way to go, fishing the upper and mid layers during the sunny warm periods and then dropping a bottom bait or a low chod to the deck over night.   Nearly all of the contents of your spod mix will eventually fall to the bottom and depending on the mix will take different amounts of time to get there.  My zigging mix has the following in it.  oats (cheap as you like from a supermarket) desicated coconut (must be soaked for a while or it will float) hemp both whole and liquidised and sweetcorn again whole and liquidised.  I sometimes add small 10mm boilies depending on the bottom bait I intend to use.   I use a small spod that has been taped up and will cast regularly.    Wear a hat and an old hoody as you will get quite messy.

Welcome to the forum.

My basic spod mix is mixed in the bucket on the bank  ...

1 can of corn

1 can of hemp seed

1 pint of 6mm trout pellets

1.5 kg of sonubaits green groundbait

Some crushed and whole boilies.

Chuck everything in the bucket and mix i normally add a little lake water untill the mix just about holds together when squished in your hand.

I also use this as a stick mix but i add some oil to it to stop it melting the bag.

Goodluck.

Word of warning if the lake your fishing holds stockies and your after one of the old wise big boys and would like your rig left alone avoid the trout pellets ... most stockies are raised on trout pellets and will make a b-line for them.

If like me you are just after a bite going into your 7th session with 6 blanks previous then add more trout pellets :D.

P.s welcome to the blank club ... We never talk about our captures on here.

Edited by DEANO30