Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Ginger9991

Casting Help

Hi Everyone,

So i went fishing last night in a swim a friend recommended with the advice "fish as tight to the island as possible", So the island looked pretty far out, i set up anyway and attempted to hit it. Im using 12ft 2.5TC Grey's Prodigy rods, Shimano ST6000 reels, using a 3.5oz zip lead. One rod had 15LB line, one had 12LB line......It became apparent pretty quickly that i couldnt cast to the island, At my best cast i done about 19.5 wraps, so thats only just over 60yards i believe. I hit the clip once or twice but spent about 40 minutes trying to hit clip (the island was probably another 3 or 4 wraps away). I had no heavier leads. This is the first time i have had to cast that far and im really dissapointed to find how short my cast is, Im not weak i spend a fair bit of time in the gym so its not a strengh issue. My technique obviously isnt great judging by my results but thats something i can practise and work on when i go to venues that require that lengh of cast, so my question is really, Would changing to big pit reels make much difference? What distance is everyone else getting? HELP?

On a more positive note i did manage to catch 3 including a 28.6LB.........All from a margin lol.

19.5 Wraps should equal 74 yds, so shouldn't be to much trouble with a single hookbait,  I would hazard a guess and say your casting technic needs refining ,i would suggest you have a look around and see if you can find a casting instructor near to you, failing that watch some videos on youtube  then  find a field and practice .

If its any help check out videos of Terry Edmonds he has helped a few on here myself included.

He made it obvious that technique is far more important than physical strength.

Put his name into search on here .

Cheers

Ian

3 hours ago, Ginger9991 said:

Hi Everyone,

So i went fishing last night in a swim a friend recommended with the advice "fish as tight to the island as possible", So the island looked pretty far out, i set up anyway and attempted to hit it. Im using 12ft 2.5TC Grey's Prodigy rods, Shimano ST6000 reels, using a 3.5oz zip lead. One rod had 15LB line, one had 12LB line......It became apparent pretty quickly that i couldnt cast to the island, At my best cast i done about 19.5 wraps, so thats only just over 60yards i believe. I hit the clip once or twice but spent about 40 minutes trying to hit clip (the island was probably another 3 or 4 wraps away). I had no heavier leads. This is the first time i have had to cast that far and im really dissapointed to find how short my cast is, Im not weak i spend a fair bit of time in the gym so its not a strengh issue. My technique obviously isnt great judging by my results but thats something i can practise and work on when i go to venues that require that lengh of cast, so my question is really, Would changing to big pit reels make much difference? What distance is everyone else getting? HELP?

On a more positive note i did manage to catch 3 including a 28.6LB.........All from a margin lol.

terry shows it well in this vid, stance, action and release all rolled together into a perfect cast. :lol:

how far does that spomb go eh!!

Totally agreed with you C.M but if you find yourself in a situation where you need distance it is nice to have it in your armoury.

Currently I am not fishing anywhere where it would be necessary but in the past I remember struggling like mad to get to the fish.

Cheers

Ian

34 minutes ago, carpmachine said:

Yeah but how many fish does he cast over, 90 percent.

thats a given bud but how many times have you heard folks say that the big uns hang out waaaayy over there on that inaccessible bank, or on the margin shelf round that island in the middle of the lake?

on a smallish  lake it may not be a problem but on some of these big pits and meres you could be looking at well over 100yds to the biggies.

now me personally, i would do a moderate cast and be well happy with whatever came along even though 100yds is well within my range, but some people just itch to get the big ones :lol:

3 minutes ago, cyborx said:

thats a given bud but how many times have you heard folks say that the big uns hang out waaaayy over there on that inaccessible bank, or on the margin shelf round that island in the middle of the lake?

on a smallish  lake it may not be a problem but on some of these big pits and meres you could be looking at well over 100yds to the biggies.

now me personally, i would do a moderate cast and be well happy with whatever came along even though 100yds is well within my range, but some people just itch to get the big ones :lol:

I concur and how much more satisfying than using a baitboat lol !

Cheers

Ian

3 minutes ago, ianfrog said:

I concur and how much more satisfying than using a baitboat lol !

Cheers

Ian

i had to learn cos the wife just could not see why i needed a bait boat, but oh god!! the elbow after spending a sesh at 90 - 120 yds :lol:

3 hours ago, carpmachine said:

Then why cast further.

Only 1 part of the margin was fishable so i needed somewhere to put 2 other rods, My friend has done very well tight to the island every time his fished it, Also fish were lumpy out there all evening/night/morning. I fished as close as i could get and didnt get a touch all night, I fished one on a little spot mid lake as well and had no luck, All the shows were near the margin that produced the fish and tight to the island.

4 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

don't know if any1 has mentioned but don't forget your finger stall if your casting long distances

Very interesting you mentioned this as I asked Terry Edmonds about this and he told me that if you are using a good quality leader and your technique has been worked on they are unnecessary.

I was very surprised but on checking his videos he doesn't use them and it is difficult to argue with someone who can hit 250 yards.

When thought about I suppose if line is thin enough to cut you shouldn't be able to load it that much, probably more useful for spodding or repeated casting with damp hands.

Cheers

Ian

Dropped down to a 2.5 and still having the same issue as it did cross my mind, I read a few bits yesterday which im sure will help, Shame its a month til i can get out and test it.....So now im like, Should i just buy big pit reels anyway.... lol

Find yourself an empty field or football pitch where you cant possibly hit anyone and practice !

You will get a much better idea of your progress over grass as you can measure whereas water is very deceptive.

But above all practice is the key !

Cheers

Ian

1 minute ago, ianfrog said:

Find yourself an empty field or football pitch where you cant possibly hit anyone and practice !

You will get a much better idea of your progress over grass as you can measure whereas water is very deceptive.

But above all practice is the key !

Cheers

Ian

I had to do this after changing my rods to get used to them (didn't want to look a noddy on the bank)

As said watch some videos mate im sure we are all doing something wrong weather that be the line ... rod ... line lay on the reel ... leads ... technic etc etc ... i added 20 yards to my cast just by watching some videos and found that just by standing in the correct position was all that was needed.

Power has nothing over technic i watched a 14 year old hit 70 yards not a massive range by any standards but he was being taught by his dad and i watched as he showed him the technic to look at him if he was fishing alone you would think he couldnt hit 25 yards.

On 20 May 2017 at 10:57, Ginger9991 said:

Hi Everyone,

The 6000's are not a particularly big reel, so switching up reel size to a 10000 or even bigger (Big Pit) may help.

On Nazeing with 15lb line on 2.75 lb TC rods, and 10000 size reels I found around 90metres was my limit, it was the line lay and depth of spool that prevented longer distances.

Going to the 7000 Beastmasters put back another 30metres without any practising!

Increasing the lead size may now not benefit you, 3.5oz on 2.5lb TC rods is probably their limit, going heavier could now being overloading the rod.

I know what people are saying, why cast further when you did catch from the margins, but close margins with regular disturbance may spook the fish after a while, so the option to fish the 'long distance' feature can be a benefit that enables you to catch more.

2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

The 6000's are not a particularly big reel, so switching up reel size to a 10000 or even bigger (Big Pit) may help.

Nick , there's no difference between 6 & 10000 spools , the external diameters are the same .

I can mix & match my spools on the different bodies .

If your going to step up then it would have to be big pits .

1 hour ago, chillfactor said:

Nick , there's no difference between 6 & 10000 spools , the external diameters are the same .

I can mix & match my spools on the different bodies .

If your going to step up then it would have to be big pits .

There is a fraction of a difference:wink:

I measured it when I was at the tackle shop,  the spool sizes on the DL10000's are slightly bigger diameter wise, by around a millimetre or two, and also slightly longer from  front to back, they may be able to be swapped as the centre fixing is the same.

Just to update everyone. I still havent been out on the bank but i have brought a set of 3 shimano XTA Medium long casts, Was going to wait and just get my technique correct then evaluate but i have managed to get the 3 for £180 second hand which i thought was a really good price. Hopefully that coupled with better technique will sort me out!