Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Have been at the Carp thing for many years but was always a stick in the ground and a can of corn kind of guy until recently. In the last 4 years have been experimenting with many types of homemade baits including different flavors of boilies and things like tiger nuts and also have gone to the whole bite alarms, bait runners, and rod pod gig. The waters I fish have zero fishing pressure so there is no bait competition amongst anglers. The bite on the boilie baits seems to pick up after days of introducing them to waters but my fiercest days and biggest fish have all been on corn with having previously chummed corn. My question is that if I am fishing water that has no pressure will trying all these other baits result in higher catch rates and bigger fish than just sticking with good ole corn?  Thanks in advance. 

5 hours ago, Carpslapper said:

Have been at the Carp thing for many years but was always a stick in the ground and a can of corn kind of guy until recently. In the last 4 years have been experimenting with many types of homemade baits including different flavors of boilies and things like tiger nuts and also have gone to the whole bite alarms, bait runners, and rod pod gig. The waters I fish have zero fishing pressure so there is no bait competition amongst anglers. The bite on the boilie baits seems to pick up after days of introducing them to waters but my fiercest days and biggest fish have all been on corn with having previously chummed corn. My question is that if I am fishing water that has no pressure will trying all these other baits result in higher catch rates and bigger fish than just sticking with good ole corn?  Thanks in advance. 

Welcome to the forum.... only you can answer this question really , keep fishing & making notes if anything stands out . Sounds like the corn is doing the business for you though, 

Might be worth playing with size of baits too if your trying to pick out the bigger fish . 

Over the last four years I have done what you describe. I have paid attention to water temp, time of year (pre spawn, spawning and post spawning fish), flavor and color of bait, water clarity and diet of the fish. I have chummed with and fished all other baits next to corn. On some days might pick up more action on a particular bait and have even noticed patterns of particular bait working under certain circumstances at certain times of year but when I look at the reaction time of the carp to the bait and the amount of fish caught, overall corn is king. I understand by all standards i am new at this but guess I was waiting for an aha moment when one of those other baits would stand out. Up until now it has not happened. Maybe the next recipe will get me there. Thank you for your reply and as per your suggestion I will start paying more attention to the size of my bait.  

Im with Phil the corn does seem to be doing the business, i think removing would be a really bad idea.

When you talk about the other baits your trying, how long are you sticking with them, are you fishing 2 rods on the same spot with to different hook baits to gauge results.  Regualr chopping and changing can work against you in the long run.

And welcome to the forum :)

My state regs allow for 3 rods. That is what I have been using.  I have been pre baiting the night before with corn and usually two flavors of boilies. I have tried many different boilie recipes and to generalize them I have been using flavors that would yield sweet and sour, sweet and salty, spicy and sweet, and just plain spicy. All with varied flavor combos. I always use a pack bait of the same flavor boilie I'm fishing and start out with one rod of each bait fished side by side. On most outings I will end up using all corn on a hair rig by the end of the day because that is what usually brings the quickest bite.  I definitely notice an increasingly better bite on any boilie the longer I fish it at a particular spot but it seems I have to introduce it to the fish. And if they already eat the corn at will its seems like an extra step I don't have to take. With all the boilie choices, glug flavors and types of bait I was wondering if anyone found a serious advantage to catching fish in our North American waters where there is very little fishing pressure using these other methods and baits?  And on a side note my biggest disappointment was with tiger nuts and baits I made with tiger flour. I understand it's most likely my methods or presentation with tigers that led to the poor result but after all I read I thought it would have been a different outcome.  

Tigers are not the best particle by a long street, if you want some fermented particle recipes that will really do the business either search the particle threads or PM, me and we will see if we can beat the yellow magic, you bet we can but for reasons of banned baits, i am not going to publish on open forum as we do not want people going off with half the story and doing damage.

10 hours ago, Carpslapper said:

I have chummed with and fished all other baits next to corn. On some days might pick up more action on a particular bait and have even noticed patterns of particular bait working under certain circumstances at certain times of year but when I look at the reaction time of the carp to the bait and the amount of fish caught, overall corn is king.

Think you've answered your own question bud! If it aint broke don't fix it!

Welcome to the forum.

PM sent carpmachine.... and thank you folks for the replies. I will not stop trying other baits  in case I might come across a recipe my local carp can't refuse. But maybe lower my expectations of new attempts and not compare these baits to the mighty corn. 

I think something you can take from this is that bait flavours don't make a great deal of difference... It's the general make up of the bait and the food signals that the bait gives off. It's no good just changing the flavour if the bait is not good enough in the first place....

Corn, apart from the visual aspect, also contains good levels of vit B5, (pantothenic acid), something, that simply put, helps turn food into energy. TBH, you can replicate this by adding ingredients that contain B5. Liver powders, salmon derivatives....... Poultry livers are said to be very high in B5.

But as mentioned, you will only be replicating something that is already working with your corn.. But in boilie form , will cast further and to some extent, evade the attentions of smaller fish.

I'm sure there are other reasons why carp find corn attractive, but the B5 theory has always stuck in my head.

Try it on a river, no boilie will touch it, then try fermented particle baits and you will see why carrying 5 kilo of boilie during our social, i didnt use any, Ian had 9 fish, and he is a fine angler, better than most on boilie, but i leave an open space and echo the American chaps words, its all about ammounts going in, otherwise particle will slaughter it.

I'm sure there are other reasons why carp find corn attractive, but the B5 theory has always stuck in my head.

You missed out its natural Lysine content BC, which plays a big part in the carps love of the yellow grain

3 hours ago, carpmachine said:

Try it on a river, no boilie will touch it, then try fermented particle baits and you will see why carrying 5 kilo of boilie during our social, i didnt use any, Ian had 9 fish, and he is a fine angler, better than most on boilie, but i leave an open space and echo the American chaps words, its all about ammounts going in, otherwise particle will slaughter it.

I would hazard a guess that you would use a far greater quantity of particle to that of boilie? You even state yourself how much you prebait! 

4 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

I would hazard a guess that you would use a far greater quantity of particle to that of boilie? You even state yourself how much you prebait! 

Nige, i have discussed this with guys from South Africa, India, Bangladesh, USA, Canada, Australia, and Eastern Europe via PM, as well as a good number of the lads on here, your own experience with zigs should tell you the same story, you dont throw many bits of foam in, Phil did pretty well, the boilie thing is not the be all and end all, and is an inferior bait, beleive what you like and we leave it at that, hope the guys have deep pockets and enjoy slow fishing, the choice is theirs.

Who has ever said that boilies are the be all & end all cm . It's just about getting it right while your on the session.... be it /boilie / corn / nuts / bottom baits /pop ups/  Zigs / floaters/ meat / prawns/  etc etc . 

I did well on the Zigs because that's where the fish were & the peg I ended up with after the draw just screamed Zigs.  If i would of drawn the right hand side of the lake I would of been on a baiting approach for sure & as Lewis proved with the biggest fish of the trip it would of worked .... it's simply adapting to what you have in front of you . 

Edited by chillfactor

Mate, they only work because of the quantities going in, ask our coleagues on 4 continents who have used them beleiving they were the magic formula, not so buddy, lots of carp caught long before the boilie blitz started, carp tax son, nothing less, beleive what you like.

11 hours ago, carpmachine said:

they only work because of the quantities going in........... carp tax son, nothing less

Fair enough that you're not a boilie fan CM, but for me that's simply not true.

Sure boilies have their flaws, all baits do, but IMO it's a fact that a decent boiled bait is one of the best baits available to the carp angler.

Nige, i have discussed this with guys from South Africa, India, Bangladesh, USA, Canada, Australia, and Eastern Europe via PM,

Clearly a one sided view, I'm part of a bait making group elsewhere and we have a very high number of members from these parts asking if certain ingredients they can obtain will work.  The big problem for the guys in most of these countries is locating the correct ingredients as they are not as freely available as they are in the UK.

In this country Yonny i would agree with you, and of course its selective, but it depends on the ammount they see, our coleagues abroad do not have the advantage of you guys beleif in piling these things in, they are not an instant bait as you know, dont get me wrong, i always carry them, they are as Phil says a tool, Ian scored heavily on his boilies in difficult conditions, but ask Jonno, tough 48, with one run on his most popular mainline baits, two runs in 40 minutes on mine in a difficult area of the lake, i am not trying to convert any of you, but i ask you to think, boilies catch loads of fish, because most anglers use them, just think and try, nobody is right or wrong, you might be surprised.