Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Martin

I'm in deep water

I'm just after a little advise on fishing in deep water on a pit I've decided to tackle . Ive been using my marker and found a big shallow area down the bottom of the lake this swim is quite popular so I've been searching the middle of the lake and found depths of average of about 20 ft ,this is a bit out of norm for me as lakes I've fished in the past have been a bit shallower  . One area I have found has two humps ether side of a large area about 8ft apart and quite a hard area ,the humps come up to 17ft ether side and like I said about 5ft apart the area in between is about 20 ft deep  .Ive used my grappling lead and only found small amounts of Canadian but otherwise quite clean my gut feeling told me to bait this area  , my question is has anyone ever fished this depth of water and any advise would be great full  thanks Martin 

Recently fished a mere up in Shropshire that was 20 ft deep.  All my fish came on 12 - 13ft Zigs. 

Personally if & when I fish lakes of this sort of depth again.... it would be Zigs all the way .

Although the feature you have found does definitely warrant some bait too .

Thanks for the advice I've just come back from the pit and baited up this area again after couple of hours I had a couple of  fish crash over the top so gave me a bit of confidence I'm booking a couple of days off in June so I may try a zig in the general area as well as a bottom bait just to see which works thank you again 😆

My syndicate is quite deep at one end and still produces fish, Zigs can be very effective in those depths and if your planning on using adjustable zigs please dont buy the ready made kits where you pay massive carp tax a pike sub float will do the job perfect and will cost you a fraction of the price. Also when fishing zigs on a hot day try spombing out some dog biscuits (asda 2kg for a quid or 2) and fish a foot or 2 bellow the surface and if you can get them going you can clean up on this method but SHHHHHHHH dont tell anyone LOL.

I wouldn't be too worried at all about 20 ft, especially if you're finding Canadian down there. Twenty feet only seems deep to you because you're not used to seeing it. The carp see it every day and I'll guarantee you they'll feed down there at some point.

On 30 May 2017 at 14:09, Big Common said:

Agree, now the water temp is warm enough, they will be getting down regularly..... Air pressure can play a part at depth, but this happens on any lake.. High pressure, and as mentioned, zigs or shallower areas, don't ignore the margin shelf.

Ardleigh Reservoir has depths down to 45feet, although almost every fish I caught came at 6feet deep.

My Lee Valley waters also go to 20feet depths, and I have caught fish around 15feet deep on bottom baits.

As BC has said, that margin is always worth a look as is anything different feature wise, be it a gravel hump, silt patch or weed bed. Don't forget that there is natural food in any weed, snails and the like.

So would you be fishing the Margins in this hot weather Nick , B. C. ? ; I fished one evening this week and the water in the margins was warm - I'm thinking would the Carp be more comfortable in deeper ( more oxygenated ? ) water . 

Do the fish seek out deeper ( and therefore darker ? ) water when it's a very bright day ? .

Does my ramblings make sense ? , probably not :(

8 hours ago, Big Common said:

TBH I fish the margins all year round on one rod if it's a quiet enough swim. The margins have produced more fish for me over the years than any open water spot. They are the first part of the lake to warm up. Carp love warmth, they are cold blooded and will actively seek out the warmest parts of any lake. BTW these are just my thoughts gained from various conversations/threads and observations. In warmer weather they sun themselves on or near the surface, in the cooler months they look for warm layers mid water.

Air pressure plays a big part for me. Hot weather , in the main, comes hand in hand with high pressure, another reason why they will be found near the surface. Being as most of us fish on the deck, low pressure weather systems are considered good times to fish, perhaps deeper spots become more comfortable with less combined pressure. Of course, zigs, for those that use them, have blown all this away as they can be fished at any depth...... In warm, high pressure conditions I would fish the shallowest spots I could get away with . I've caught fish , fishing a foot down the shelf on an 8ft deep margin after seeing fish feed at the same depth but at the other end of the lake. Literally slurping at the bank in 18 inches of water. If I was to fish open water in these conditions I would want to find a hump or the top of a bar.

As far as dissolved oxygen levels. A slight ripple against the bank will oxygenate the margin, or anywhere else where there is a ripple. Partly why carp will often follow the wind IMO.... When it's really hot and still, they will most often be found in the weed..best of both worlds.... Plenty of D.O. (photosynthesis by weed during the day time), and a safe place to sun themselves with the odd mouthful of food at hand.... But when the sun goes down and the weed starts kicking out CO2 , I don't mind a trap set in the edge for when they move out, or a high spot on their rout.

Just my thoughts, nothing is set in stone , we all know how Mr Carp likes to move the goal posts now and then.

BTW, Crusian, it's ramblings that keep these sort of places ticking over mate. It's all food for thought.

Many thanks B.C. 

That's just the answer I was looking for .

You're a Gent. 

:D

Like BC I normally have a rod in the margins.

On Brackens in a particular swim the margins contain some lovely features, overhanging trees, snags and an undercut bank and are always worth a punt, even in hot weather. It's those spots where the fish dive into to hide. You could be fishing one rod in the deeper water, but it's normally the margin rod that produces, although one of my biggest fish did come from a gravel hump that rises to 5feet from the bottom in open water.

More fish in Brackens come from the margins,  gravel bars and weedy areas than from the deepest water, despite us trying it, especially when we see the whole bottom bubbling up.

Taverham was another one, although on many hot days I did spend many days walking round with a bucket of dog biscuits, the margins would produce, especially if you could lower a bait in without being seen.

I'd rather fish the margins than at any distance , especially if there is a reed bed or lilies , I think that by lowering in my rigs I get a better presentation than casting out and not being sure , in my findings the fish seem to head for deeper water once hooked rather than into the reeds /lilies ect , I do think about the areas i fish in and ease of playing and landing the fish , I have a plan in my head on how this is going to work .. tuesday I fished the margins all day only used one rod as the areas were too small for more , I had 6 fish and moved between 4 different spots after each fish ...

dave 

18 hours ago, Big Common said:

Agree Dave, easier to place rigs and apply accurate baiting. The only draw back being on busy lakes the foot fall and anglers turning up to fish and walking straight to the waters edge on their walk round.

Getting back to the OP of fishing deeper water. It wouldn't bother me at this time of year to fish on the deck in 18/20ft of water, now that things have warmed up. As long as I though that this was the layer that the fish were feeding in. 

But I saw an underwater feature once where a deep bowl had been scatter baited with boilies. A few days later, a diver went in and took some pics.  You could literally draw a straight line at 14ft as to where the fish had been in and eaten the bait. Anything deeper had been left. TBH this was done in early Spring, so the water temps would have played a part. But it just showed how finicky they can be at going another foot deeper to pick up a mouthful at certain times. I think if you fish the deepest spots, you are putting all your eggs in one basket and need to be 100% sure that the fish are using them, whilst you are there. I would feel more confident with some slightly lower air pressure. Perhaps an adjustable zig would give more options and help find the right layer to fish.. But  if it's a fairly low stock venue, where bites don't come easy at the best of times, it could prove to be quite a head banger. 

I can't remember who wrote about it first, possibly Jim Gibbinson, but on a few 'bowl' type water he found fish came from a particular depth on the marginal slope, or a ledge on the slope.

No point in using round baits that would roll to the bottom of the slope if the fish were coming from say 8 feet deep on the slope in otherwise 20 feet of water.

Hi Cloud

in my findings the fish seem to head for deeper water once hooked rather than into the reeds /lilies etc " 

That's happening to me also Dave ; I keep thinking why , when I'm fishing close to snags are the Carp storming out into open water on most occasions ? - still I'm not complaining ! .

:)