Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I got some rhodium oil, musk oil, and some shellfish oil years ago.  It all seems in fine condition still.  I had read that rhodium oil was a great fish attractant, but it never seemed to do me any good.

I just learned that coating wet bait with glycerin will make it safe for use in PVA mesh, and that it is a good idea to add some flavor (as long as it is only oil) to the glycerin.

I am thinking of using rhodium oil or sesame seed oil, and I want to check it out on the forum before I make a mess.  Does anyone know if carp like rhodium oil? 

Science says that the carp cannot detect oil (therefore it cannot be an attractant) whereas anecdotal observations by anglers say they do attract.

The reason science says it is not an attractor is that oil is not water soluble, in order for a carp to detect something (and draw it towards the substance) it must be soluble.

Your personal experience  agrees with science in this case.

If you look through the bait section of the forum you will see several discussions over this subject; draw your own conclusions.

A yeast extract (Marmite) may be a better bet to use if you want some attraction.

Thanks for the great information, ianain. It all makes sense.  What I am really after is pva proofing my bait.

Here's where I may need some help.  I did search for "rhodium," "rhodium oil," and I don't remember what all, and I kept coming up blank.  Was I using the search function incorrectly?

I found out what marmite is.  Sounds yummy.  How do you use it?

Edited by Puddingstone
new information

6 hours ago, Puddingstone said:

Thanks for the great information, ianain. It all makes sense.  What I am really after is pva proofing my bait.

Here's where I may need some help.  I did search for "rhodium," "rhodium oil," and I don't remember what all, and I kept coming up blank.  Was I using the search function incorrectly?

I found out what marmite is.  Sounds yummy.  How do you use it?

heyup! Rhodium oil? never heard of that one, i keep a stock of around 20 oils and in my bag i carry at least 5 samples in atomizers, they come in handy for giving your hooker a spritz before the cast.

Marmite or Vegimite, you can use as a dip straight from the jar or dilute with water to 50-50 strength and use as a glug for soaking/rehydrating air dried boilies or 50-50 mix with sunflower oil as a dip for your PVA baggies, its a killer in the right places :wink:

PVA proofing bait can be achieved by several methods,

1) add salt to your particles/groundbait mix on the bank as this will slow down the melt time of the pva, (hit and miss)

2) premix your g/bait at home to give it time to dry out a little then wet down with an oil such as hemp oil (good)

3) if particles i use two methods, one i always spread out enough for two baggies on a bucket lid to dry then bag up as needed and two, hand mix flavoured oils into particle baits to dispell the water and for added attraction.