Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ltjh545

How do I know MY bait will work?

Hi guys

I recently decided to start making my own boilies (and baits in general - glugs, soaks and what not) and have done considerable amounts of research into it, such as what makes a good boilie, whats in all of the best boilies etc.

The lake Im planning on using them on over this summer is a fairly pressured lake, and the majority of anglers use the common, Mainline Cell, The Source, CC Moore, amongst other expensive premium brands. Obviously these baits catch fish, however if I made my own bait, and knew that it was of high quality with attractants and plenty of high nutritional food sources, how do I know that It would actually catch fish? Or if the fish are even feeding on it?  

Unfortunately the carp industry is a massively expensive one, and for young anglers like myself, affording to spod endless kilograms of bait in a session just simply isn't an option, and having worked out the costs, making my own is cheaper (granted they actually catch!)

Thanks

Leo

There are several good cheap boilie mixes in this section of the forum. As BL said, you will have to ultimately suck it and see since there are no guarantees.

Also, if you follow most of the threads about home made verses shop bought boilies - the absolute key to catching on any bait is to put your bait where the fish are.

You can make a good quality effective boilie using not much more than ground dried cat food and maybe incorporate some particles which can reduce your initial costs.

Have fun and enjoy making your own baits, it really is quite rewarding - providing you have a permission slip to use some of the ingredients.

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. As far as I'm aware, my ingredients have HNV and have good attractors and food signals so I must be doing something right. 

I guess ill just have to test them and see! :) I ventured into bait making because I'm only 18 and quite frankly paying for kilos of mainline cell doesn't sit well with my budget, making my own however does me nicely :D 

Have you bought all the ingredients or just looking?

You should be able to knock up a good cheap home made boilie for around £3.50 / Kg since you have no costs (labour, rent, electricity / gas etc...)

So far as attractors are concerned, a good mix will provide attraction, just be careful what you buy extra; all that glitters is not gold and suppliers of said products know how to polish well.

In fact I just received a block of Belecan in the post, it stinks already! I have bought all of the ingredients now and some I already had. Here is my recipe:

Base mix

30% Sardine and Anchovy Fishmeal (CC Moore)

20% Semolina

20% Soya Flour

15% Egg bird food (Essentially Nectarblend from Haiths)

7.5% spice mix (chilli powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper etc)

7.5% Calcium Caseinate

Wet mix

Per 1 Egg

2ml coconut oil

5ml Walnut oil

5ml Fish sauce 

4g of grated Belecan

I've still got some testing to do to see how much base mix is required for that 1 egg mix however after doing one it seemed to work out alright.

What do you guys think?

Not a bad start, a couple of thing though, there is a lot salt going in there, the fishmeal alone would cover the dietary requirement but you also have salt in the spice mix, belachan and fish sauce all have a higher than average salt contents.  Try leaving the oil out, there should be enough in the fishmeal, birdfood and soya already.  Not sure you need the added expense of calcium caseinate, switching it for PDF would be a cheaper option and do a very similar job from a amino's and solubility point of view as the fishmeal and soya will cover the protein requirement.

The crux of making your own is the trial and error process you will have to go through to get it right but the reward of catching on something you have put together yourself is usually worth it 

8 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

I know its not what you asked but if I was fishing a highly pressured venue and people are piling boilies in I'd try a completely different method

Hi Harpz

This is a very valid point and I've considered it. Instead of using round boilies I considered perhaps making all sorts of odd shapes since the venue is pressured and I figured the fish might be wising up to the round boilies. Who knows really, I plan on fishing my boilies with a particle spod mix, chopped up, crushed and some round so that theres variety in there, but its definitely worth fishing other things too!

You do know you don't have to pay £12 a kilo for boilies right? Plenty of extremely good baits out there for £6-7 a kilo. 

Looks an interesting combo and obviously you're not going for a flavour profile on the bait and leaving it natural which strays from the norm and may be a edge for you. 

1 minute ago, greekskii said:

You do know you don't have to pay £12 a kilo for boilies right? Plenty of extremely good baits out there for £6-7 a kilo. 

Looks an interesting combo and obviously you're not going for a flavour profile on the bait and leaving it natural which strays from the norm and may be a edge for you. 

Yes I do know that, but for me, knowing EXACTLY what goes into my boilies and then also having the satisfaction of catching on them is second to none!

It doesn't take long to know whether fish are eating your bait. If you can't see them eating it, just pull a lead through an area that you've been baited previously. A clearer spot should materialise after a couple of pre baits of 50 to 100 baits or more depending on stock levels.

Personally, as mentioned, I'd ditch the added oils and use some liver powder or blood powder as a soluble attractor. Fish and blood or fish and liver are a good combo. Your mix isn't a million miles away from one I use. Keep it simple to start with and tweak it as you go once you've learned more about the fish and the venue and what else is going in the lake........ At least, that's my approach.... But I'm in no hurry.

Firstly there is no cast iron obligation to "spod the granny out of it"  with boilies. Firstly,if 'everyone' else is doing that there's enough food in the lake as it is and possibly too much.

Secondly you're under no obligation to use boilies.

You could stalk with breadflake, worms,corn or a cocktail of them.

You could try the method with basemix  powder for fast breakdown. 

Try zigs at different depths.

Try particles .

Try pellets.

Try floaters.

The last 3 are very inexpensive. 

Thanks for your input.  It was most gracious.

The bloke mentioned cost,I suggested less costly alternatives.  

The bloke didn't specify boilie only orientated responses.

I'd wager my post has more relevance than your sniping. Take a day off Dierdrie .

To be brutally honest my aim was to make a boilie PART of a spod/method mix, rather than making it my sole bait, but also having it there as a single feed bait if I see it fit for the situation, thanks for all of your replies and suggestions!

The best i can offer is you take on board " Hutchs" comments .

Their is a Base mix recipe 0n this forum somewhere which is very good by all accounts , but you may just feel you are copying and not creating your own.

13 minutes ago, dayvid said:

The best i can offer is you take on board " Hutchs" comments .

Their is a Base mix recipe 0n this forum somewhere which is very good by all accounts , but you may just feel you are copying and not creating your own.

9 minutes ago, carpmachine said:

Yep, if you are boilie inclined, the guy knows what he is talking about, find yourself a bait that you know works and stick with it, a few blanks mean nothing, dont change, a regular trickle if a bait is any good will produce results.

Thanks guys you've given me a nice confidence boost! :D 

21 minutes ago, ltjh545 said:

To be brutally honest my aim was to make a boilie PART of a spod/method mix, rather than making it my sole bait, but also having it there as a single feed bait if I see it fit for the situation, thanks for all of your replies and suggestions!

That's a good way to introduce your bait if confidence isn't sky high to start with. but be warned, I have had sessions when they get pre occupied on the particles in the mix. It's not to say that they won't eat the boilies, they just won't be moving between baits whilst feeding so are less likely to find your hookbait before they move off. When this happens it can give you a few doubts about your bait.. Don't let it. Just fish with less spod mix next time.

Like most things, I think it is water?stock dependent....  One of my old syndicates you could get good results fishing boilies over hemp seed. But there were 200 fish in 4 acres of water.... Different story on my current water. One small spomb which has to be accurate or a small bag. They have a real buffet of naturals now, diificult to hold them, so a bite at a time is the way to go whilst they are in grazing mood.

There are no hard set rules in my fishing  .... watching fish feed tells me you can't afford to have them .

Watched fish ignore a whole host of different baits but the right combo can see them clear the lot , where it was being left previously.  

I personally have no problem mixing it up :wink:

if there is one part of my fishing that money doesn't come into then its bait. i accept the op is 18yrs old so money may well be tight but don't scrimp and save on bait. after all its the one thing that you need the carp to like in order to get a bite, (ok a good rig to nail them on as well but a bait they are willing to pick up first and fore most). making your own bait and indeed catching on it is a massive buzz but only if it is accepted by the fish and can work out just as expensive trying to find that out.  a couple of sessions tells you nothing about how good your bait is. i know of a bloke who had his own bait firm back in the 90's and he would test his bait in his pond which held a number of carp. now he used to feed them for 6 weeks and if they still accepted it after that time then it was a goer. now on more than one occasion the fish would a eat a certain bait for 4 or 5 weeks then all of a sudden not even sniff it. so it goes to show even if it is accepted to begin with it might blow in a few weeks. now  if there is all that bait going in from other anglers and you know what it is then why not take advantage of it. if money is tight then  1 pot of cell pop ups and a kg of bait should see you catch your share (if you are on the fish that is).

as for your base mix, its ok and will more than likely catch fish. as for your attractants i like a lot. in fact you are very close to my attractant profile and the carp love it. good luck whatever you do.