Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
valleywaters

Beginner help? BC Canada

Okay so there's a lagoon close to me that holds alot of common carp as I see them cruising on the surface around noon. The water is very muddy so hardly any visibility. Just looking for any helpful tips or rigs to try. Thanks

Ps. Bait stealing fish are common at the lagoon

Welcome to the forum.

Floating baits might be a start as you can see them on the surface, introduce some bread or soaked dog biscuits and see what happens, if it's windy or if you have a lot of wildlife (ducks etc..) you might want to try fishing a couple of feet below the surface and flick some loose feed in, just a few every few minutes and change frequency and quantity to see how they react.

Nuisance fish are by their nature a problem, harder baits like maize might be worth a go, or larger particle baits - (bolies?) larger prepared: nuts, legumes, beans - the list of things to try is endless.

Welcome to the forum.   Sounds like you have a good opportunity!  Try tying some hair rigs, (a simple and safe sliding sinker method works for me), and as mentioned the list of possible baits is long.  Don't worry about mud, they'll sniff it out.  Remember that any pre-baiting or any introducing of loose feed into the water is illegal in BC, (what you have on the end of your one line is it), so seeing where they hang out is a real bonus.

10 hours ago, buzzbomb said:

Welcome to the forum.   Sounds like you have a good opportunity!  Try tying some hair rigs, (a simple and safe sliding sinker method works for me), and as mentioned the list of possible baits is long.  Don't worry about mud, they'll sniff it out.  Remember that any pre-baiting or any introducing of loose feed into the water is illegal in BC, (what you have on the end of your one line is it), so seeing where they hang out is a real bonus.

Hey thanks for all the tips. I tried a hair rig below a slip bobber and some corn but I can't seem to figure out what time they want it. And yeah no chum is a bit of a bumber

I lived in Canada for several years before moving back here.

One major problem for carping is that a lot of places don't allow realy bait, (or pre-baiting) and you are limited to one rod at a time. 

Spinning and fly fishing are the most popular. 

2 hours ago, cyborx said:

KT has hit the method i would use, a 10wt fly rod with a mock mixer on it would work a treat :lol:

My old pal Rocket gave me the fiberglass 9wt salmon rod he had built in 1966 and I got a nice 8 wt reel and line from someone on a forum so I'm tooled up for it.  I still have to catch one on it but have tried a few times.  When I had a rising carp in the river I tried a large mayfly for visibility since the water was stained and there were mayflies on the surface, but couldn't coax him back.  Since my first carp was caught on a woolly "booger" I claim to have confidence in leech patterns. :D  Bear in mind almost none of the carp here have ever seen boilies or corn or anything but naturals but they aren't picky eaters.  Most are probably caught on big nightcrawler worms.  Not every province bans groundbait, and I think some places allow 2 rods (we can use 2 lines through the ice here but not on open water).  These are from the good old days when we had a little carp club and baiting co-op, we caught a lot of good fish then too.

IMG_2023.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

14 hours ago, buzzbomb said:

My old pal Rocket gave me the fiberglass 9wt salmon rod he had built in 1966 and I got a nice 8 wt reel and line from someone on a forum so I'm tooled up for it.  I still have to catch one on it but have tried a few times.  When I had a rising carp in the river I tried a large mayfly for visibility since the water was stained and there were mayflies on the surface, but couldn't coax him back.  Since my first carp was caught on a woolly "booger" I claim to have confidence in leech patterns. :D  Bear in mind almost none of the carp here have ever seen boilies or corn or anything but naturals but they aren't picky eaters.  Most are probably caught on big nightcrawler worms.  Not every province bans groundbait, and I think some places allow 2 rods (we can use 2 lines through the ice here but not on open water).  These are from the good old days when we had a little carp club and baiting co-op, we caught a lot of good fish then too.

IMG_2023.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

you lot are just too hard core for me :lol:

I’m in Vancouver what lagoon are we talking about. I have taken 20 large up to 32” carp on the fly this may. Maybe I can help you out a bit. Or we can share some locations and techniques for the area

my brother is also a carp guide in the okanagan. Princeton salmon arm Kelowna all around the interior. Bow fishing and fly fishing. I can definitely point you to some good areas with less bait stealers