Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Hi I am looking For a carp fishing sponsorship as I go carp fishing every weekend and I am obsessed. I could promote your products buy using them and reviewing them. My pb carp is 34lb 4oz as well as two other low thirties but my biggest ever fish is a 38lb 9oz sturgeon from a freanch fishing holiday. I am 15 years old and crazy about fishing 

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

welcome to the forum james, some nice fish there.

now try posting this where it might do you some good, email some of the big bait/tackle companies and include more details about your self and hobby, places you fish with maybe a couple of depositions from pool owners/bailiffs that know you.

start off small if you have to and get some more meat on your CV, have passion in what you do and show it.

good luck :wink:

Sponsorship.... now there's a word to conjour with... most tackle companies have sponsored anglers... but it's not what you would think... those companies want more than just results and photographs for their money and products...

They'll want product endorsements, tackle demonstrations, tackle development, innovation, tackle sales, and plain old solid hard graft... tackle shows are a large chunk of the start of the year through to about late spring, they have to be set up, taken down, and your presence required at them... there'll be magazine articles to write, and believe me Mags hate reading about blanks so your integrity and morals will be questioned, or is it that you just want someone to pay you to go fishing... the two are totally different and basically one of them doesn't exist at all.... I'm sorry if my words seem harsh James, but nothing in this life is free and to be honest,  if you are sponsored by a company and you end up working in the business, then you'll rapidly find that your time on the bank will be seriously curtailed... ask any of the top lads in the Carping business.... they'll all tell you they don't get out anywhere near as much as they want to... however your results are beyond question and lets hope you can carry on with that and achieve your goal... but beware, you'll not get rich on it... Tight lines

There is another side to this as well.... I used to be an Angling Coach (NFA/PAA) and at first it was brilliant... out fishing 2 or 3 times a week and showing folk how to fish and seeing their results improve.... but as with any job, resentment sets in, and if your hobby becomes a job, then all the downsides of "A Job" begin to intrude on the enjoyment of your sport... I stopped coaching after 9 years as the sport I loved had turned into "just another job" and I started losing the impetus to go out for myself...

I really do not get why young anglers crave what is known as 'sponsorship' in modern angling. For the most part the term is used to describe an agreement whereby the angler sends their catch pics to the tackle/bait firm in exchange for a discount on their gear (and it's usually a pretty poor discount at that). What comes with that is the obligation of having to push said firm on social media no matter what your thoughts on the material you have to push are. I've walked away from two firms as I was so bored and frankly ashamed of 'liking' and 'sharing' products that I wasn't impressed with and news that I honestly couldn't care about.

"Angler X catches a brace of 20s from some overstocked puddle full of simmos on this bait....." or "Angler Z catches a 50 from a commercial lake in France that's absolutely stacked full of 50s"... LIKE ..... SHARE ..... it was embarrassing. I'm so much happier spending full whack on anything I need and not having to care about what's happening in the world of social media.

Assuming you've a decent portfolio of nice catch pics I know of at least 2 firms where you could get on the team by e-mailing them today, it's that easy, there's no merit in it. It's a simple sell-your-soul situation; you take your very hard earned trophy shots and sell them for discounts as a cheap commodity for others to make money off.

The next level of 'sponsorship' is getting FREE bait/gear (sometimes known as consultants, although this same name is given to the lower level as described above more and more nowadays) - for this you have to catch lots and lots of big fish all year round from a variety of venues. Most of these guys are full timers so if you plan on having a half comfortable life you can forget about this option. Add to this you need to be a truly gifted angler in the first place in which case they'll likely come looking for you. No bait firm is going to entertain some fella knocking on their door asking for free gear. They do the knocking....

Then you get the guys that are employed by the firms - these guys have very real full time jobs, highly skilled jobs at that, and work savage hours. A lot of the 'sponsored anglers' you see on YouTube in the Nash/Fox/Korda etc vids fall into this category. If this is what you fancy you best stop worrying about carp fishing and start worrying about education; you'll not get a job in Product Development by sitting on the bank all the time. The market is so big and competitive now that the days of giving your angling mates jobs is long gone. They need to employ highly trained marketing and media experts, skilled designers and engineers etc... so get your prospects sorted before you start knocking on any doors.

At the top of the tree you have Terry Hearn - the only fella in the UK that gets paid to fish (Even Dave Lane aint paid to fish - he has a job to do same as anyone else).

The final option is just to go fishing and enjoy it. If any opportunities come your way (which is inevitable if you're good enough and a nice fella) then you can consider them carefully when the time arises.

Good luck.

Around the time James was being born is when I was becoming really "obsessed".   I wanted the brewery to sponsor my team to go to Texas for the Austin Team Championship.  All I wanted was some help with the gas and a few beer, didn't even get that. :D  We never went, but I certainly remember the thrill of getting into lots of good fish in those days.  Don't lose that obsession!, and welcome to the forum.

Yonny has it down to a tee. 

Personally I was offered a position as a tester for a local bait firm and of course said yes, because i'd used the bait and managed a PB and some other fish out of a tricky pit. If I hadn't used it before, well I would have not said yes before seeing samples. I get a slight discount, and have to use the bait (Not a problem because it's top quality stuff). Liking and sharing a few pics and posts on facebook, etc. 

If you really want to get 'sponsored' the best way is to find a bait you are confident with and use it to good effect. Rack up the catches, especially if they are fish from hard waters or particularly nice looking fish, or known fish. and keep sending them the pictures or mentioning them in posts/tweets/etc. They'll take notice when you're tagging them weekly. 

Welcome to Carp.com.

I must admit I had to wait a while to chill before I posted otherwise I would haven given a mouthful which would likely have offended, but Yonny has said a lot better than I would have done.

Too many people think that carp fishing is a cash cow, earning big money from sponsorship or field testing. The honest answer is very few people actually make big money from fishing. 

The best way to fund your fishing is to get yourself a job, and treat your fishing as a leisure time pursuit, NOT as your job. 

As an aside, a few years ago there was a writers job going in one of the popular Carp mags... as a lover of the written word.. haf decent angler and then NFA Coach I applied.... the pay was atrocious... half of what I am currently earning and they wanted me to relocate to suffolk... then there were the notions that you never give a bad review on product testing, or slag a company or its products no matter how bad, for fear of losing that companies advertising revenue.... the idea that you wrote about fishing was a very tenuous one.. most of the job was selling advertising space... bit of an eye-opener I can tell thee...

2 hours ago, bluelabel said:

then there were the notions that you never give a bad review on product testing

I read some of the Carpology reviews on there website and it's proper embarrassing! No matter what the product is, how good (or rubbish) it is, they always say it's the most amazing thing ever. It's ridiculous and the authors should be ashamed. It tarnishes their (Carpology's) reputation IMO. There'll be youngsters that lap this tosh up spending hundreds in some cases on what is essentially cheap Chinese rubbish with a popular tackle brand logo stuck on it. Outrageous.

this is one of the reasons why I turn to a forum for info on gear... the denizens therein are (hopefully) without agenda and give an honest review,  unhindered by the pressing weight of  biased reporting for fear of revenue loss...

This is the main reason that I decided not to pursue a career in the angling press... the hipocrisy of it all, that and the outright lies that are produced when an angler blanks on a feature (seen it done and read the reports afterwards)

Edited by bluelabel
(addendum)

Well look at Nash 

Black oops

scope recon  are we going to war with this gear 

aimed at kids straight of their PlayStation  Call of Duty

and those who think they are SAS material 

6 hours ago, Big Common said:

A good reason not to buy anything that is fresh on the market. Wait for honest reviews and opinions from someone whose put a product through it's paces in real fishing situations...

The product reviews in mags are mostly, brand new bits and pieces straight out the box... I think you need a seasons worth of use to give an honest review, 6 months minimum.

And first prototypes are often higher specifications than the actual product when it's released 3 months later!

13 hours ago, bluelabel said:

I spoke at length with Karl on the matter and no matter how you defend it, it's wrong... his own defence was that bad products don't get reviewed 

Lol..... what a load of tosh, don't blame you for ditching the idea fella!

9 hours ago, dayvid said:

Well look at Nash 

Black oops

scope recon  are we going to war with this gear 

aimed at kids straight of their PlayStation  Call of Duty

For sure mate. The website says: A stripped out ultra light Special Forces edition

Absolutely hilarious IMO, and one of the reasons I avoid Nash gear altogether.

9 hours ago, chillfactor said:

The last shipment from China all turned up with the eyes the wrong way round.  

Ha! Brilliant!

9 hours ago, ianain said:

No wonder I kept casting behind :lol:

Lol.......

Taking the name out of the equation, the  bigger of the two brollies (can't remember if its the 'Ops  or The Recon) is the dogs danglies... had one for two seasons... its not the black material, just plain green, but it packs down small and goes up in minutes and really is a nice bit of kit...  

If you want a shelter that will pack up small enough to fit in the boot with the rods, it fits the bill perfectly... Nash gear has come on loads in the last few years and TBH  having been fishing for the amount of time I have, I'm not easily pleased...

Its called market targetting... all the companies do it to a greater or lesser degree... some of the names of Poles make me laugh out loud.... but theres nowt in the name if the product is total pants... if you can see the quality of a product, should the name matter... ? 

On 7 July 2017 at 08:10, carpmachine said:

Black ops, its a fishing rod for Gods sake, BC may be right , tounge in cheek or reality, either way i wont be getting one, rather get in the water with a decent rod than contemplate this hype, what the hell is happening to fishing.

For years Nash has been using double entendres or puns for tackle names; making it sound like the names are aimed at smutty minded teenagers, now using the Black Ops name as said looks like aimed at X-box teenage freaks.

May be a bit cynical, but another reason I try to avoid the brand, although I must admit the Outlaw Hurricane Shelter and Outlaw Landing net were worth what I paid for them.

I may not have done full service, but I have been shot at, and stabbed, and I have mates who have put their lives on the line, and to be honest I find using black ops and recon a bit disrespectful to people who have served in HM or Uncle Sam's (or any other) forces.

I think some folk are being too sensitive... I bought the brand because I wanted compact gear... I'm too old to play xbox games... wouldn't know how anyway...didn't even get the reference I am old enough to respect our and others forces however... but  avoiding a whole brand because of its products names ? Blimus.... chill people...