Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Highy

NGT Tackle - Anygood

Recommended Posts

As i am a new starter to carp fishing i cant help but notice 1 of the cheaper brands NGT sell all carp gear but is it any good...

You have top makes Korda, ESP, Taska, Korum but how good is NGT. ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a full 3 rod setup with everything but upgraded the alarms to the VS alarms with the built in snag ears..used the rods once but as they are fibreglass and not carbon, might upgrade to Sonik SKS or SK3/SK4 but like the look or Nash Pursuits...

NGT also do carbon but in a Dynamic range.

But as a starter i will soon learn and find out from friends with info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luggage & odd terminal bits only.

 

Probably get slated for this, but Korda u can't go wrong with for end tackle. Useful diagrams in case you're stuck with tying knots etc.

 

As with everything in life you get what u pay for, but don't pay over the odds. It is expensive but better quality will last longer. NGT is ok for beginners, just upgrade when you can afford it.

 

Happy carping fella

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said NGT bits and pieces are ok, i have the landing net handle, ok it's a bit heavier and thicker then the best models and it doesn't look as cool but it has worked for me for over 2 years now and is still going strong and at £8.99 i thought ot was a bargain too, also if i break it i won't be as bothered as if i had paid £50!

 

I have just upgraded my rods and have bought Shimano Tribal Velocity 3.25tc rods and have to say although not alot more expensive (£15) than my older rods (JRC Contact 2.75tc) they are worlds appart.

I also have the NGT Tackle box and Bivy table, i personally think They are as good as the rest and won't be upgrading them any time soon.

 

With NGT tackle you generally have to pick it up and have a feel to see if it's ok and will suit your needs but generally for a beginner i don't think there is anything wrong with it.

 

Just my opinion!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for starter kit you can't go far wrong... as others have said, as you get more accustomed to using the gear, you will find it's limitations... I concur with the other chaps that for terminal gear, it's just not worth buying cheap... as it's the last three feet of your gear that will catch you the fish... go for a named and trusted brand8)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, welder said:

 

Highy, you might want to consider bringing pod and full setup back from the edge until only your rod tips are over the water. Cast shadows and sight of the outhang by fish cruising the edge may result in spooking potential catches.

 

Just an observation.

 

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imho a lot of angling equipment is designed to catch anglers more than fish, it's certainly a valid opinion to not compromise on end tackle, and whilst some of the Ngt gear isn't as good as the competition, some of it is almost identical. So often we get charged like a wounded rhino, for an item because it's Nash or fox.... etc, I've heard some real horror stories about Nash equipment, of recent note the scope rods, and I've had items from fox in the past, that really havent been up to the job, it may look pretty and earn q-dos among the carp fraternity, if it has a fancy name, it might even be good, but that's by no means a guarantee. If you want an opinion on a piece of Ngt equipment find someone with direct experience of an item, who's not a tackle tart, or even order it from somewhere you can send it back to after making a fair assessment of the quality for yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jimmy_c said:

Imho a lot of angling equipment is designed to catch anglers more than fish, it's certainly a valid opinion to not compromise on end tackle, and whilst some of the Ngt gear isn't as good as the competition, some of it is almost identical. So often we get charged like a wounded rhino, for an item because it's Nash or fox.... etc, I've heard some real horror stories about Nash equipment, of recent note the scope rods, and I've had items from fox in the past, that really havent been up to the job, it may look pretty and earn q-dos among the carp fraternity, if it has a fancy name, it might even be good, but that's by no means a guarantee. If you want an opinion on a piece of Ngt equipment find someone with direct experience of an item, who's not a tackle tart, or even order it from somewhere you can send it back to after making a fair assessment of the quality for yourself.

I have started off literally everything NGT...rods..reels..luggage..terminal.

The only things ive kept is the carryall for my terminal bits n bobs & brew kit bag.

The rods i had were the Maxx and upgraded to Sonik SK3..Reels were tiny and upgraded to Sonik 8000's.

The terminal tackle boxs are ok for little bits of terminal.

Kettle, toastie maker, gas stove adaptor, are all good.

There sleepsytems look good too.

But as a starter they would last about 12month (ish) but ive gone to Sonik now for most stuff...love the Brand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite like some ngt stuff tbh I have a pop up cradle which is excellent , the quiver which is great for a light rod bag , a carry all which is as good as any Ive owned before, a net which seems ok for the price some of the other stuff looks good the cooking stuff especially, the PVA mesh works as well I've used it in fairly cold water and it melts very good value tbh 

I think for rods and reels etc it's always worth spending a little more , I noticed some of them are sold as medium modulus blanks , I work testing carbon fibre and you want a high modulus rod as that means it will compress more when you need it 

For hooks and other terminal tackle I have been using bank tackle lately very impressed with there hooks tbh always sharp and well priced too and some good patterns to try 

I have bought some sonik bits lately spod reel which seems solid and should be reliable ,Vader X 10ft rods look nice still not tested them the sk Tek chair which is sturdy and fairly light and also the SKS bite alarms I have played with those and I think I will like using them 

All in all things like bags etc won't catch you fish so will spending loads on them really help your angling ....nope it's money I would rather spend on bait and stuff that will help 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything I've bought from NGT has been disgracefully poor quality.

I used their snag ears and the thread stripped/ear cam flying off on the first take when I was fishing locked up to a snag tree. I was lucky to keep the rod, let alone land the fish. They're not fit for purpose and frankly dangerous for the fish.

Tried their leads and one came off the swivel on the first cast.

Tried their butt rests, the threads were all different lengths.

I am not going anywhere near NGT stuff again.

27 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I think for rods and reels etc it's always worth spending a little more

Funny you say that as the one thing I've heard good reports of is their 4 pc travel rod. It's supposed to be decent and it's dead cheap. I'm still not going near it though,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hum and hah with NGT.

I have some of their rod bands, neoprene and velcro. Ok, as with any pull tight stretch rod bands, they have 'mishaped' but still work.

 

Some NGT stuff is bought from the same factories as bigger names, but at cost, cheaper specifications, or bulk purchase.

I thought about NGT stage stands, but couldn't convince myself, they just didn't look or feel right, compared to Solar stage stands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, emmcee said:

I've always said "buy cheap, buy twice". Yes some stuff is over priced but you get what you pay for (the majority of times). Some of the big tackle firms I won't touch with a barge pole. 

I tend to agree.

I always do some serious research before buying anything. My objective is to buy the absolute best on the market for my kind of fishing (which is usually the mobile approach which means I need light, compact, and hard wearing gear). Sometimes it happens to be the most expensive, sometimes it's a cheaper alternative, either way I won't let price deter me from buying the best.

Ultimately if what you buy isn't the best for you, you'll eventually end up replacing it regardless of whether it goes wrong or breaks. Imo the cheapest way in the long run is just to save the extra pennies and buy what you consider to be the best from the off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do tend to research everything I buy nowadays and if it isn't up to scratch I wouldnt buy it and there are items that I agree you will buy twice if they are no good, 

My worst piece of tackle at present is my old Nash viper in usage terms it isn't that old but the poles have started weakening and a storm pole just snapped last time I was out it was about £200 when I got it all those years ago so not cheap but it's on my list of things to replace dissapointed with it really and wouldn't buy another and actually tend to avoid Nash stuff now as a consequence 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Some NGT stuff is bought from the same factories as bigger names, but at cost, cheaper specifications, or bulk purchase.

deffo.... one shining example is the Korda Tackle bank... £25 if you buy Saint Danny's offering... £12.50 if you buy the NGT one... and they are almost identical... not having a pop at Korda, they charge what they think folk'll pay... but why pay double the price for the same bit of kit???? a lot of gear is made to catch the angler not fish...  NGT do a good mix of good and not so good gear...  sort the junk out and you'll find some good bargains that'll last years...

 

Caveat Emptor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/07/2017 at 19:40, Highy said:

As i am a new starter to carp fishing i cant help but notice 1 of the cheaper brands NGT sell all carp gear but is it any good...

You have top makes Korda, ESP, Taska, Korum but how good is NGT. ??

NOT GOOD TACKLE 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

deffo.... one shining example is the Korda Tackle bank... £25 if you buy Saint Danny's offering... £12.50 if you buy the NGT one... and they are almost identical... not having a pop at Korda, they charge what they think folk'll pay... but why pay double the price for the same bit of kit???? a lot of gear is made to catch the angler not fish...  NGT do a good mix of good and not so good gear...  sort the junk out and you'll find some good bargains that'll last years...

 

Caveat Emptor

Another is the Korda singles vs NGT singles

Korda £250+

NGT £30+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluelabel said:

deffo.... one shining example is the Korda Tackle bank

 

20 minutes ago, Highy said:

Another is the Korda singles vs NGT singles

That's not really fair lads. Korda designed both products, came up with the materials, determined how they could be made, designed tooling, and went through all the prototype phases. That is a process that takes many, many months and costs a hell of a lot. I know that because the company I work for design and manufacture products.

NGT then essentially steal the designs (they can't be patented) and have them made for as cheap as possible to undercut them. So it's not really a case of NGT simply buying from the same factory, they are taking advantage of others hard work to make a quick buck for themselves.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, yonny said:

 

That's not really fair lads. Korda designed both products, came up with the materials, determined how they could be made, designed tooling, and went through all the prototype phases. That is a process that takes many, many months and costs a hell of a lot. I know that because the company I work for design and manufacture products.

NGT then essentially steal the designs (they can't be patented) and have them made for as cheap as possible to undercut them. So it's not really a case of NGT simply buying from the same factory, they are taking advantage of others hard work to make a quick buck for themselves.

 

Im not complaining...ive got/had a few NGT bits but lately they havecopied a few designs..even the FoxEos reels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...