Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jh92

Zig bugs and foam

Recommended Posts

Do these have to soaked or sprayed with an attractor before being used or do they work on their own? I've been watching a few videos on YouTube and they spray them with bug spray or something but I don't know if their just marketing the product or if you actually need it? 

Edited by jh92
Missed a word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a look on the essential baits website. They now produce a thaumatin spray which is awesome on zigs. 

I used to make my own up with a watered down version of the neat product. I still keep all my foam and plastic baits in this solution and top up with the spray before every cast. 

I truely believe that it brings a quicker response rate than when fishing without. But the main thing to get right is the location and depth of where you're fishing the zig. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, InteraX said:

I don't think you need it, but it might improve your catch rate IF what the tackle companies say is true. Try it without and see what your catch rate is like. If your not happy, try some spray and see if it improves.

 

8 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

Have a look on the essential baits website. They now produce a thaumatin spray which is awesome on zigs. 

I used to make my own up with a watered down version of the neat product. I still keep all my foam and plastic baits in this solution and top up with the spray before every cast. 

I truely believe that it brings a quicker response rate than when fishing without. But the main thing to get right is the location and depth of where you're fishing the zig. 

Thanks for the replies, i'll get some bug juice and thaumatin spray ordered later just in case I need it. I'm heading down the canal after work for a few hours so gonna try out the zig bugs I made last night and use them with out an attractor and see if I get anything lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

I squeeze my foam in a bottle of West Country baits sweetalin with a pair of forceps, before the cast , this will leak all day if needs be .

Could you do the same with hemp oil? Or would it be too thick mate? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I want flavour I'll normally use a trimmed down pop up that's been soaking instead of foam.

IMO these spray things can't be that effective, it'll wash off by the time the lead's hits the deck. You need to soak like Nige or use Chil's squeezy trick IMO.

12 minutes ago, jh92 said:

Could you do the same with hemp oil? Or would it be too thick mate? 

Oil isn't water soluble so it wouldn't make any difference to a zig IMO - a carp wouldn't be able to detect the oil until the zig was already in its mouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, yonny said:

 

Oil isn't water soluble so it wouldn't make any difference to a zig IMO - a carp wouldn't be able to detect the oil until the zig was already in its mouth.

Still not sure what to believe when it comes down to oils mate .

A guy I know absolutely swears by corn oil , drowns his boilies & particle in it .

This is after test done in his big koi pond where the fish would take the corn oil soaked boilie before non soaked .

He also has rather good catch rates :?

Edited by chillfactor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I add hemp oil to my particle and my boilies before dosing them in liquid food, then powder. 

The reason I do this is that the oils can rise in the water column, taking with it the food signals from the liquids and powders. 

On a zig, I want the flavour/attraction to be more localised as I'm not trying to pull/entice them down to a big bed of bait. Soaking them works a treat. I forgot to mention that when I top them up with a spray, they are held in the forceps (pretty much the same as phil) and released once coated in spray to pull in the liquid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

I add hemp oil to my particle and my boilies before dosing them in liquid food, then powder. 

The reason I do this is that the oils can rise in the water column, taking with it the food signals from the liquids and powders. 

I like your style fella. Great thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, yonny said:

I like your style fella. Great thinking.

Don't do too bad on it. I still coat with the  liquid food and powder in the colder months but don't use the oil for obvious reasons. I add in a low oil pellet that's the same attractor package as the bait though, replacing halve of the boilie content. Had some really quick fish these last few winters doing that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nigewoodcock said:

I forgot to mention that when I top them up with a spray, they are held in the forceps (pretty much the same as phil)

I think neither of you want to get your hands dirty :lol:

 

Definitely a good tip though :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ianain said:

I think neither of you want to get your hands dirty :lol:

 

Definitely a good tip though :)

You get a tighter grip, which means more ingress, with forceps. But saying that, if you get thaumatin on your fingers, you can taste it for days later. A really intense sweet taste. Quite nice actually!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the sprays on zig bugs - they come back smelling of the stuff many hours later so I think they're worth using 

Made some myself this year which had a rig ring attached underneath, then you just thread them on 'D rig style - look ok, more movement and you can change hook 😊

Edited by kevtaylor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...