Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jh92

Fishing for river carp

7 minutes ago, carpmachine said:

you need the rods up beachcaster mate, suggest you get some good tripods, too low across the flow, it drags the line in a fast flow, go Barbel style.

Cheers mate I've got a beachcaster tripod at home that I'm pretty sure I could fit some alarms to so I'll give that a crack tomorrow hopefully. 

Baited up yesterday with boilies and corn and about half a kg of boilies today, probably chuck in about the same when I leave. Using them Nash instant action boilies that are high attract baits or something so with them being loaded with attractors hopefully it pulls something into the area lol

When the guys I know opened there shop many years ago now , they did quite a few videos on various subjects.  Some were under water features on the local rivers , what they found was even on rivers that are barely flowing a boilie will roll down stream on the river bed . If you want to prebait a river you need to find a whole or a ledge & bait there as the bait will hold .

That was always my starting point find the deepest whole in your stretch :wink:

Like cm says rods up high to prevent line drag .

On 08/03/2018 at 15:17, carpmachine said:

I would guess in a tidal river, prebaiting may be fruitless due to strong flow, you have the right idea with high attract, as most of any prebait may end up miles away, no tidal rivers close to me, but if i was thinking of prebaiting, i would use PVA bags with a stone in and try to hit bottom asap, boilies chopped, round may roll away, particle heavily oiled.

I was thinking about freezing tubs of particle and chucking frozen block in but not sure if it'll sink lol. 

On 09/03/2018 at 07:51, chillfactor said:

When the guys I know opened there shop many years ago now , they did quite a few videos on various subjects.  Some were under water features on the local rivers , what they found was even on rivers that are barely flowing a boilie will roll down stream on the river bed . If you want to prebait a river you need to find a whole or a ledge & bait there as the bait will hold .

That was always my starting point find the deepest whole in your stretch :wink:

Like cm says rods up high to prevent line drag .

I'll have a lead about in the next few days mate and see what I can find, I'll have to start chopping the boilies in half, don't want them rolling away lol. I've the a tripod up with some alarms so I'll try that next time and hopefully it'll keep the line up out the water 👍👍

31 minutes ago, jh92 said:

I was thinking about freezing tubs of particle and chucking frozen block in but not sure if it'll sink lol. 

I'll have a lead about in the next few days mate and see what I can find, I'll have to start chopping the boilies in half, don't want them rolling away lol. I've the a tripod up with some alarms so I'll try that next time and hopefully it'll keep the line up out the water 👍👍

How much does the water drop on low tide ? This would be the time to get a marker float & try & find the deepest sections / any holes etc if you catch it right the float will hold position well & give a good indication of the depth . 

4 hours ago, carpmachine said:

frozen balls of bait, not round with a good stone frozen in the middle, does work, its a tip i gave one of our American friends, also a rake on a rope enables you to create your own holes, i did this on the Nenebehind my holiday home, the flow carrys the silt away and  over time helps you scour out a considerable hole.

I'll give it a go mate I've got a few Chinese food containers so I'll fill them up, put a few stones in and freeze them. Loving the idea of making a hole with a rake, never used one before so I'll be looking forward to giving it a go thanks! 

3 hours ago, chillfactor said:

How much does the water drop on low tide ? This would be the time to get a marker float & try & find the deepest sections / any holes etc if you catch it right the float will hold position well & give a good indication of the depth . 

Not 100% sure mate but at a guess I'd say about 2 metres, I've spent quite a bit of time walking the bank at low tide to look for snags, but the only ones I could see were the ones near the surface or poking out the water because its really murky and can't see the bottom lol. Next time I'm down fishing I'll take a marker and see what I can find mate cheers 

That's why i asked how tidal it is .... There might be a window where the two currents equal out & the float stays roughly above the lead (does on the lower Severn)  .  Admittedly Won't be spot on like on still water , but like I said it will give an indication of depth . Over time you should be able to work out how much you need to allow for the angle of float to lead . Your be able to find any big changes in depth which is what your looking for  . The float can also give away were the fastest water is as your see & feel the drag difference . 

All depends on the flow though at the end of the day your just have to play it by ear .