Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jh92

Fishing for river carp

I thought I'd give a diary a go so I can keep track of my fishing and hopefully pick up a few tips from other members :)

Yesterday I went fishing down my local canal, it was that caked in weed I wasn't able to fish it. The stretch I was going to try fishing and where the carp usually are was that green it was like a football field lol, so I went over to the river for a walk to see if there was any fish showing, my watercraft isn't the best so I'm not sure what they were but I'm sure it was fish lol. I also spoke to the bailiff and he was saying that there is carp around there, so I'm keen to give it a good go down there and its an ideal spot because its not that far from home so I can spend the evenings after work down there. It's the tidal part of the river (pretty close to the estuary) and it gets quite strong when the tide is going out and on its way back in.

The kit I'm thinking of using is:

3 x 13ft 3.25t/c rods, I've got 3 x 9ft 2.75lb rods but I don't think they'll do the job

3 x big pit reels loaded with 15lb daiwa sensor 

End tackle is 1m of 45lb lead core heli rig style with 2.5 - 5oz leads (depending on how fast its flowing) and the hook link will be about 10 - 12" of 25lb braid with a size 6 korda wide gape hook. Should I use a leader as well? I'm not sure if its safe to be used when using lead core.

For bait I'm gonna use a mix of vitalin and maize with a bit of corn oil and maize as hook bait, from what I've read the oil will help when fishing a river because it will carry food particles down stream or something like that?  

The way I'll fish is 1 rod up stream, 1 rod out in front and 1 down stream in the near margin. I'm not sure about what angle the rods should be at and if I should use back leads? Should the rods be up in the air like you do when beach casting so a lot of the line is out of the water and should back leads be used, because there's hardly ever any boat traffic there and  wouldn't the flow move the back lead because of how light they are? I'll either mold the ground bait around the lead with the hookbait inside it or I'll throw in a few balls around each rod, I probably won't bother with prebaiting as such, but I'll throw in any groundbait I have left after each session. 

Anyway hopefully the next time I update this i have banked a fish :D cheers 

Edited by jh92

7 minutes ago, David_gravesend said:

Wow what river you fishing the Zambezi!?! 

Id say you're existing rods would be fine and personally wouldn't be using leadcore, keep the rigs simple and strong and you'll do well. 

Haha that's good mate the smaller rods are a lot lighter to carry and use, I was just worried about the weight they have to cast so I thought the 3.25tc rods would of been better 

Wow, i love river carping, but fishing a tidal estuary is not on my agenda, i live too far inland, the nearest is 40 miles away, so i give you advice in good faith without much experience of your target. Normally i would advise sweetcorn/maize everytime and avoid boilies, but with the tidal effect, prebaiting may be useless, you need high impact baits, fishy boilies, prawns, liver, feeder, vitalin and a two and a half foot tail fished downstream, dont upstream ledger unless using a big weight and fishing bowstring, you hit the time your tip comes back straight, very difficult technique. Fish downstream tight lined close to the near bank, forget three rods, the second rod on the far bank, beachcaster to avoid the flow, the near rod low and tight, space the baits many yards apart with the far bank much closer, dont bother prebaiting, waste of time, too much movement, your tackle is over the top, fish 15 nylon down to twelve behind a feeder, dont backlead if no boats, it scoops weed, and try to fish when the river is at peak height or thereabouts.

7 hours ago, carpmachine said:

Wow, i love river carping, but fishing a tidal estuary is not on my agenda, i live too far inland, the nearest is 40 miles away, so i give you advice in good faith without much experience of your target. Normally i would advise sweetcorn/maize everytime and avoid boilies, but with the tidal effect, prebaiting may be useless, you need high impact baits, fishy boilies, prawns, liver, feeder, vitalin and a two and a half foot tail fished downstream, dont upstream ledger unless using a big weight and fishing bowstring, you hit the time your tip comes back straight, very difficult technique. Fish downstream tight lined close to the near bank, forget three rods, the second rod on the far bank, beachcaster to avoid the flow, the near rod low and tight, space the baits many yards apart with the far bank much closer, dont bother prebaiting, waste of time, too much movement, your tackle is over the top, fish 15 nylon down to twelve behind a feeder, dont backlead if no boats, it scoops weed, and try to fish when the river is at peak height or thereabouts.

Thanks for the reply cm, honestly mate the far bank is like a big cliff made from mud where the river has been flowing through there for hundreds of years lol something prehistoric about it. I like the idea of using liver and I'll give it a go because I might catch an eel... And I love catching them lol. I was thinking of adding tigernuts to the mix if I get breamed out and use them on the hook link. Also about the gear I'm using, from what I've read online big strong tackle is needed, I don't mind using lighter stuff it's just if I do hook up to a carp, is be gutted if I lost it due to the light gear I was using lol. I'll give what you said about the rods and positions a try and see how it goes mate, thanks!

I was watching a video earlier of some guy fishing in France, he put a load of chilli powder and black pepper powder in with his ground bait, he was saying the bream won't go near it because of the pepper, is this true??

They sneeze so much that they can't get near the bait, why do you think they're called snotties?

Lots of people put things in or on their bait because .... bream will eat anything if they get their heads down.