Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I can see the point being made though. Just think it should have had a disclaimer. Very unlike Simon to not write one too. 

I dabbled with salt but stopped bothering, I dont think it made a difference in all honesty. 

It's a great subject, as said in another thread, I found in my dissertation carp grew quicker and healthier in a specific level of salt water. And as said, maybe ancestry is something to do with it all, they do originate from the caspian, black and aral seas... 

I remember reading that article when it was in the mag, it's very interesting, people tend to forget that a lot of the items we use actually have a salt content so most people are using enough weather they are aware of it or not.

For me it not an attractant in its own right as in food, possible it enhances the taste element, osmoregulation is an interesting one, maybe the fish can detect when the water around then contains an amount of dissolved salt and it results in a comfort type situation just so happens there is a load of food there at the same time and they get there heads down, all the above is just pie in the sky of course with no evidence to back it up. 

1 hour ago, carpmachine said:

Mark Holmes does mention the spreading of rock salt prespawning

I enjoy listening to him, he comes out with some very interesting stuff, but I do take a lot of it with a pinch of salt.... no pun intended.....

Years ago I remember reading a University of Chicago study about carp and salt and how too much salt prevents growth or correctly protein utilisation.

I know a number of tests have been done and the optimum salt level in the diet is 1.5%, and at 2%, growth is rapidly decreased. Bear in mind almost all of those tests were done in countries that use carp as a food source, (:!:) so they want optimum growth.

mej_pub2016_21736533.pdf

While I have respect for Simon Scott, my worry is not what he is saying, but the angler and the need.

Almost every bait or ingredient we use already contains salt, Mr Scott even says that; for years it has been used as a preservative of our  and various animal food, and as a mould inhibitor. 

Now this 1.5 - 2% in the diet, at what point do you cross from the right amount to too much?

So as an angler, if every person who fishes a (highly stocked) lake adds (as an example) 2kilos of salt into 10kilos of bait, (that could be boilies, groundbait, spod mix), then you have hit the 2%.

Yes, I know, extremely unlikely, but say on a commercial water, it may happen; angler A mentions adding salt in his bait caught him more fish, angler B copies, but instead of putting 1 bag of salt into his spod mix adds 2, angler C sees, and adds 5.

This obviously doesn't include the salt already present in the hookbait or ingredients, just what is added by the angler.

Ok, I know not likely, but we honestly don't need to add more.

7 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

if every person who fishes a (highly stocked) lake adds (as an example) 2kilos of salt into 10kilos of bait

I don't think any angler in his right mind would consider using salt at those levels Nick.

1 hour ago, pooter said:

Trouble is not all anglers are in their right mind, they just follow blindly.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

I don't think any angler in his right mind would consider using salt at those levels Nick.

I would love to agree with you, but Problem is, as Pooter says there are those who 'follow blindly', or who just don't think.

Flavours, again an example, 2ml is recommended, so angler thinks if 2ml works, I'll make it better by adding 20ml. Then you have Danny Fairbrass or the Korda who people do follow blindly, DF adds salt into his spod mix, everyone who watches his articles or dvd's follows suit. Add the 'follow blindly' and the 'add extra' crew and you may have a problem.

Even worse is, as with the 'discharge lead' debate, tackle brands not promoting good angling (lead clips that discharge and leave a lead on the lakebed every time), it becomes commonplace as younger, maybe more fashion following or not so conscientious, environmentally aware people 'get on the salt'.

Its more to do with alcohol and its ability to disperse items in to the water, also its not effected by water tempurature like some oils etc  rather than it being a feed stimulant itself  

perhaps the party had other party goers who also added alcohol because they saw the first lad do it, following blindly so to speak.  I know anglers who add Malibu and or baileys to their baits either in stick/spod mixes or as a glug.  I doubt that the very small amount the occasional angler might use on bait would be an issue in a large lake.

Probably more hazardous was the hundreds of tins of cat meat being emptied into commercials a few years ago.

As you've noted the boiling point of Alcohol is lower than water so if it was in a boilie prior to boiling the boiling process would pretty much boil it away as it probably does with EA based flavours.