Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
serbusfish

How much bait to use on a day session?

I am really struggling this year, I have caught no Carp and i'm starting to think i'm wasting my time with it. I only fish day sessions which provides a big hurdle, what I really need to know is how much bait I should be using in this situation, how often I should be changing hook baits, and above all if i'm doing something wrong that could be ruining my chances.

I usually only fish for 8 hours max, what I have been doing is putting in half a kilo of cell boilies and 12 - 15 balls of groundbait which consists of additional nuts and seed particles. I use size 6 hooks (the Korda pre-made ones, usually DF rigs), I switch hook baits between a single Cell bottom bait and a snowman with either a cell pop-up or a krill wafter on top.

Am I doing something glaringly wrong here? Am I putting out too much bait/not enough?

putting it in the wrong place is my best guess. No hurdle just fishing day sessions at all. What is the stock like in the lake(s) you are fishing? Are others catching?

I'll happily cast out each rod once and leave it for 24hrs as long as I know its landed well and no diving birds/small fish have moved it. I'll also happily use 2kg of boilies over the rods if i'm catching. But that's the lake i'm fishing at the moment.

The answer to your question depends on multiple different factors; stock level, stock size, size of lake, nuisance species, time of year, weather conditions...

As I said, most likely you're putting it in the wrong place.

Hi mate,

Few questions

Is this your first year carping?

Are people around you catching?

has all your fishing been done on the same water?

Im fishing a water i have struggled with all year....and when times do get hard, I go to a local runs water where its hard not to get a bite just to build my confidence again. In terms of your subject "how much bait" well in 12 hours i will use 2/3 kilo of bait, but i have also gone to places and put out nothing but 3 or 4 boilies with every cast and caught all day. As most of the lads say...LOCATION is king.

55 minutes ago, greekskii said:

putting it in the wrong place is my best guess. No hurdle just fishing day sessions at all. What is the stock like in the lake(s) you are fishing? Are others catching?

I'll happily cast out each rod once and leave it for 24hrs as long as I know its landed well and no diving birds/small fish have moved it. I'll also happily use 2kg of boilies over the rods if i'm catching. But that's the lake i'm fishing at the moment.

The answer to your question depends on multiple different factors; stock level, stock size, size of lake, nuisance species, time of year, weather conditions...

As I said, most likely you're putting it in the wrong place.

The fishery I have been visiting recently has 4 waters of a similar size, but none are very large. I have attached a pic.

It is a very busy venue and people catch well, I don't know what the stocking is like though. There are plenty of "nuisance" species, Bream up to 10lb and Tench up to 7lb (the last time I went I caught a large tench on my snowman rig actually). I was fishing somewhere I know people catch Carp, top right pond along the treeline, I had lots of little knocks throughout the day but no takes.

1 hour ago, Ginger9991 said:

Hi mate,

Few questions

Is this your first year carping?

Are people around you catching?

has all your fishing been done on the same water?

Im fishing a water i have struggled with all year....and when times do get hard, I go to a local runs water where its hard not to get a bite just to build my confidence again. In terms of your subject "how much bait" well in 12 hours i will use 2/3 kilo of bait, but i have also gone to places and put out nothing but 3 or 4 boilies with every cast and caught all day. As most of the lads say...LOCATION is king.

I have been carping for a few years now, I tend to fish in the week when it isnt very busy but I am told people have been catching by the bailiffs.

higham.jpg

11 minutes ago, serbusfish said:

but I am told people have been catching by the bailiffs.

to sell you a repeat ticket I presume, not many bailiffs are honest, especially if its a day ticket water!

12 minutes ago, serbusfish said:

The fishery I have been visiting recently has 4 waters of a similar size, but none are very large. I have attached a pic.

It is a very busy venue and people catch well, I don't know what the stocking is like though. There are plenty of "nuisance" species, Bream up to 10lb and Tench up to 7lb (the last time I went I caught a large tench on my snowman rig actually). I was fishing somewhere I know people catch Carp, top right pond along the treeline, I had lots of little knocks throughout the day but no takes.

the bream and tench will hammer your bait, it's best to try avoid them with either large baits or potentially tiger nuts. Or fish through them, they will attract carp. What size are the carp? if you're fishing for a handful of wily old big carp then the wait will be normal and getting everything perfect is critical. If there are plenty of smaller carp (under 20lb say) then something is wrong with your approach and you need to adjust it. Is the 'spot' your fishing gravel, firm silt, soft silt, firm silt with a cover of soft silt, choddy and lots of debris (presumably under trees its more likely to be this). Are you fishing inline leads in silt? that will ruin your presentation massively. If you cant tell me what the spot is like then that's your problem.

52 minutes ago, greekskii said:

to sell you a repeat ticket I presume, not many bailiffs are honest, especially if its a day ticket water!

the bream and tench will hammer your bait, it's best to try avoid them with either large baits or potentially tiger nuts. Or fish through them, they will attract carp. What size are the carp? if you're fishing for a handful of wily old big carp then the wait will be normal and getting everything perfect is critical. If there are plenty of smaller carp (under 20lb say) then something is wrong with your approach and you need to adjust it. Is the 'spot' your fishing gravel, firm silt, soft silt, firm silt with a cover of soft silt, choddy and lots of debris (presumably under trees its more likely to be this). Are you fishing inline leads in silt? that will ruin your presentation massively. If you cant tell me what the spot is like then that's your problem.

I believe most of the carp are in the 12lb - 20lb region.  They are all old warriors, I don't think new fish have been stocked in it for years. The spot is firm silt, and I have been using inline leads...

7 minutes ago, serbusfish said:

The spot is firm silt, and I have been using inline leads..

first problem there. Inline leads and silt dont go together, try a helicopter set up for better results. or the faithful running rig. Inline leads send the swivel end in to the silt and will drag your hooklink in to it too. Normally ending up with a kinked or looping hooklink.

9 minutes ago, serbusfish said:

They are all old warriors, I don't think new fish have been stocked in it for years

If that's right then they are probably riggy fish and have seen it all before. Your approach clearly isnt working so it's not about how much bait you're putting out. Try something different. Fish a handful of boilies over a rod and nothing else. If all your rods are out to the far bank then a handful over each spot being fished and then single boilies along the tree line for 20m either side, every metre or so will act almost like a trail for them. A change of bait maybe? 

Above all else, when you turn up find where the fish are and fish for them. If you are just heading to this spot and fishing it regardless of where the fish are then they may not even be there. As you said the lakes are small so fishing 2/3 rods tight to the far margin will effectively cut the lake in half. I've seen it happen. It means the fish will either pass by you on the far margin (great) or near margin. 

Basically adapt your approach. 

if it was me fishing this venue id have a walk round at first light

I usually find this is 1 of the best times to see signs of feeding fish

when ive found the best spots on a few pegs id try and fish 2 different spots and bait about 60 baits per spot and if 1 spot gets more runs then move all rods to that spot

if im fishing into silt id start off with a 9" braid hook link and if the fish are a bit riggy id use a kd rig with a drilled out bait with a no6 shot wrapped in putty about 40mm from the hook

as for how much bait id put it throughout the day it would depend on what activity I was getting in the swim

but regardless id put in 30 baits in every 3/4 hours at this time of year

most people have a different baiting approach but ive always found match style little and often works well

as they say once its in you cant take it out again

5 hours ago, serbusfish said:

I am really struggling this year, I have caught no Carp and I'm starting to think I'm wasting my time with it.

No you're not wasting your time buddy, a quick reminder of patience paying off, you've put so much effort into your fishing, it will pay off - somehow :)

May I suggest that you consider your own advice and look to another venue to build some confidence, the (dare I say it) commercial fisheries can offer you the chance to catch a few and it might be worth travelling a bit further and fishing for a slightly shorter period.

As I don't know the Ripley area (if you're still there), but I'm sure there will be something right up your street (metaphorically speaking :oops: ).

Great advice guys thanks. I am going to try a helicopter rig on one rod and running lead on the other.

@ianain That day was one in a million lol, definitely not an average day at that venue. I have no problem catching at commercials, but they mostly have smaller carp, its very rare to catch a double at these venues (the ones near me anyway).

On 08/08/2017 at 11:51, serbusfish said:

That day was one in a million

But you caught, it all came together - keep at it and you will be rewarded.

Could be worth sacrificing a days fishing to walk around and see what others are doing.

Believe it or not, I have been known to go through 5kilos of bait on a day session, a mix of groundbait, pellets and crushed boilies, with a kilo of each sweetcorn and boilies.

It was to feed off the smaller species, roach, and bream, and to get the carp interested.

I very rarely use helicopter rigs, personally I found I got funny takes and hookholds, preferring to use pendant style running leads on run rings, which I found gave me better options.

The first thing on arriving at any lake is finding fish, or signs of fish, walking round, looking. If the shows are at 5am in the morning and then nothing, and you can't be there for it, then try to find a feature to fish.

Do the fish move around during the day? Are there features to fish to? Snags, weedbeds, lilies, tree lined margins.

Are you able to put bait in a few spots and come back to it to see if it has been eaten? Can you stalk them? 

Will the carp move into regular baiting a spot, as said, a ball of groundbait every 10, 15, 20 or 30 minutes. Will they move onto a bed of bait. One of my favourite baits for doing that is a mix of hemp and sweetcorn. 

If if you are catching tench, then to some extent you are getting it right; I have found tench can be more wary than carp, but sometimes like bream, can keep carp off the spot you are fishing. Yet other times you can be catching tench or bream regularly and the next fish is a carp.