Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
banjojohn

CC Moore Belachan Paste Block

Hi All ,

I have a block of this and not opened it yet as I've heard it smells real bad , could I mix this with something to make a paste ? , Say ... pellets or even another paste to catch carp or is it a no no ?

IT smells so bad even if you keep it in the freezer it still smells and will stink that out.

You can use it anywhere, grated down into paste, mixed in groundbait, even as a boilie ingredient.

If you don't use the whole block, wrap in cling film, place in sealable freezer bag, place in another sealable freezer bag then place in air tight container. I try to think ahead and only open one up if I'm using the whole block. If you plan to stick it in a ground bait or spod mix, the smell will linger for days on your kit and clothes and other anglers will smell you coming from 50yds. It's potent stuff and only around 50grms per kilo of bait, is the usual recommended dosage. It's very soluble, so catapulting out a few neat chunks into the area you want to fish is a lot less hassle than trying to mix into ground bait..... Good luck.

On 14/08/2017 at 03:07, Big Common said:

If you don't use the whole block, wrap in cling film, place in sealable freezer bag, place in another sealable freezer bag then place in air tight container. I try to think ahead and only open one up if I'm using the whole block. If you plan to stick it in a ground bait or spod mix, the smell will linger for days on your kit and clothes and other anglers will smell you coming from 50yds. It's potent stuff and only around 50grms per kilo of bait, is the usual recommended dosage. It's very soluble, so catapulting out a few neat chunks into the area you want to fish is a lot less hassle than trying to mix into ground bait..... Good luck.

Excellent ... will try throwing a few chunks into the margins , Appreciate the reply :) 

No problem, it's incredibly soluble and will start to melt away fairly quickly especially if any small silvers get at it and water temps aren't too low. I have no doubt that it will also end up covered in naturals or at least draw them onto your spots. My advice would be to get this done early doors and get it wrapped up or packed away and try not to handle any kit until your hands have been washed, or even use rubber gloves.

1 minute ago, Big Common said:

No problem, it's incredibly soluble and will start to melt away fairly quickly especially if any small silvers get at it and water temps aren't too low. I have no doubt that it will also end up covered in naturals or at least draw them onto your spots. My advice would be to get this done early doors and get it wrapped up or packed away and try not to handle any kit until your hands have been washed, or even use rubber gloves.

I've not opened it yet ... is it really that bad lol ? I have some marigolds as not to contaminate My hands and other baits , 

I was thinking of adding it to a paste mix so at least it will last longer on the hook , guess you have no tips for that ? :) and Thanks BC 

It's pretty bad, smells like something meaty/fishy is rotting. It's fermented shrimp, usually krill. I mainly use it as an ingredient in my boilie mix, so once the baits are finished ,the smell , to a human nose ,is dulled down by other bits and pieces. I've not used it in  paste form, and doubt I will, simply because you will be handling it in your fingers. It's more of an attractor, than an out and out hookbait.  You could try adding some to a paste made from scolded pellets to boost the attraction, but you'll know what I mean when you open the packet. Grate the required amount into a bowl, add a dash of boiling water and stir until it is all dissolved, takes about 20 seconds. Then you have liquid belechan, which can be easily added to anything you want to mix up...Might be worth dissolving the whole block and storing in liquid form. Will make life easier the next time you want to use a bit.

Other things I've done are to coat my leads and leader materials. But TBH, this is a really stinky session if you try it. The thing I like about the stuff is that it's a purely natural ingredient. So IMO, you don't want to start baiting the same spots with loads of flavoured bits. The natural attraction of the belechan is plenty potent enough, and will dissolve and hang in the water column. That's how I picture it.