Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jh92

How to fish this water

Recommended Posts

I'm on a new water that I've fished twice but every time I've been nailed by bream. There's a huge head of bream on the water and now wondering where I'm going wrong. First time I went I tried a mix of vitalin and maize.. I stopped counting after like 10 bream lol. Second time I tried using crushed boilies and half boilies in a PVA bag with a 20mm boilie on the hair and I still got nailed so I switched to 4 or 5 20mm boilies on a stringer with a 20mm as a hook bait and they was still having it. 

Hopefully I'm going for a 48 hour this weekend and I'm wondering how I should try fishing it. The anglers don't really talk about how they fish it other than their using boilies. I've seen them spodding but I'm unsure if their spodding just boilies, or a spod mix. Wouldn't a spod mix attract bream though?

The baits I've got for a spod mix is birdseed, maize, vitalin, tuna flakes in sunflower oil, 4mm and 16mm dynamite marine halibut pellets and loads of tinned sweetcorn, I've also got about 30 20mm boilies left. What I was thinking of doing was fishing the 20mm boilies over the spod mix, or maybe a snowman rig with a 14mm pop up on top. I've got sacks of the stuff for a spod mix so I don't mind if I have to cook a load of it up if I can get through to the carp lol. Is this a good idea or would you try another way? I don't know the exact stock of carp in there, but people do seem to pulling them in, you hear alarms screaming through out the day and night lol. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, carpmachine said:

Tigers.

How would you fish them mate? I forgot to mention the water is 40 acres of open water ranging from basically nothing in the margin to 25ft in the middle. Its also quite silty in places

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fish for the carp in the margins and near to weed beds.  Use bigger boilies double 20mm is a start and keep the freebies in a tight pile, stringers or pva bags with five or six boilies in.

 

Bream prefer the open areas away from ambush points (think sheep in a field) and will happily graze over lots of smaller baits so things like pellets and corn should be avoided if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tigers, 20mm+ boilies, doubles as hookbaits. Personally I'd go for 24mm+ hookbaits. I've caught 3lb bream on snowman baits with 20mm bottoms with 18mm tops. Once they are soft they'll have them. 

Fish they spread approach, spread a load of boilies over a half tennis court size area, 3 hookbaits in it. keeps the carp moving and picking up the baits and the bream wont pay much attention due to the spread of bait. If they move through you might get a few but they'll soon move off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jh92 said:

The baits I've got for a spod mix is birdseed, maize, vitalin, tuna flakes in sunflower oil, 4mm and 16mm dynamite marine halibut pellets and loads of tinned sweetcorn, I've also got about 30 20mm boilies left. 

That is a recipe for bream city mate! I'd ditch the birdseed, maize, tuna, pellet and corn (especially the pellet!!!!).

Big boilies and nuts mate. You'll still have bream (they'll eat anything a carp will) but you should reduce numbers.

12 hours ago, jh92 said:

How would you fish them mate?

Like I would any carp water. Fish where you see the carp mate. It's simply not possible to get round the bream but if you know you're on carp you're half way there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies I'll try the boilie approach first. I'll go to the tackle shop tomorrow and see what boilies they got in 20mm and 24mm and a tin of tigernuts. I'll have a look at some throwing sticks too, never used one before but I'll give it a go :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the short reply the other day, work has been real busy these last few days. 

On 15/08/2017 at 21:17, bigtrev said:

fish for the carp in the margins and near to weed beds.  Use bigger boilies double 20mm is a start and keep the freebies in a tight pile, stringers or pva bags with five or six boilies in.

 

Bream prefer the open areas away from ambush points (think sheep in a field) and will happily graze over lots of smaller baits so things like pellets and corn should be avoided if possible.

I always think of a margin being right next to the bank, this wouldn't be possible mate, its a good 20ft from the bank till the water is deep enough to fish imho mate

On 16/08/2017 at 08:12, greekskii said:

tigers, 20mm+ boilies, doubles as hookbaits. Personally I'd go for 24mm+ hookbaits. I've caught 3lb bream on snowman baits with 20mm bottoms with 18mm tops. Once they are soft they'll have them. 

Fish they spread approach, spread a load of boilies over a half tennis court size area, 3 hookbaits in it. keeps the carp moving and picking up the baits and the bream wont pay much attention due to the spread of bait. If they move through you might get a few but they'll soon move off.

I'm gonna go with what you said mate, spread boilies over a big area and fish all three rods over it. How much bait would you put in to begin with? 

On 16/08/2017 at 08:15, yonny said:

That is a recipe for bream city mate! I'd ditch the birdseed, maize, tuna, pellet and corn (especially the pellet!!!!).

Big boilies and nuts mate. You'll still have bream (they'll eat anything a carp will) but you should reduce numbers.

Like I would any carp water. Fish where you see the carp mate. It's simply not possible to get round the bream but if you know you're on carp you're half way there.

Yeah I'll give spodding a miss then mate, all I was thinking was if I put enough kept putting it out the carp might eventually find it lol. The only problem with the water is you can't really fish where you see the carp, 2\3 of the res is "out of bounds" for anglers because its a nature reserve and it can get pretty rammed so you have to take whatever swims available really lol. 

On 16/08/2017 at 08:18, carpmachine said:

Whatever you do, dont use the source, Bream go nuts for em.

 

On 17/08/2017 at 00:50, malcfish said:

Hi try a nut mix based boilie 20mm + stay away from fish meal boilies bream love then. 

Thanks, I'll have a look at some tonight hopefully, been trying to get off work early to get to the shop!!! Nightmare lol 

On 17/08/2017 at 02:52, Big Common said:

zigs

I've got some bugs and a zig float in the bag so if I don't get any action after a day I might try chucking one out mate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends how big an area it is. I tend to fish 3 different spots and start by putting 20 baits around each spot with the throwing stick or catty. Then another 20 or so between the spots to link them up with a trail of bait. Then 20 just dotted around the area behind and to the side and in between the lines. Keeps them searching. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, greekskii said:

Depends how big an area it is. I tend to fish 3 different spots and start by putting 20 baits around each spot with the throwing stick or catty. Then another 20 or so between the spots to link them up with a trail of bait. Then 20 just dotted around the area behind and to the side and in between the lines. Keeps them searching. 

Thanks for sharing mate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fishing gear is all sorted, I'm a bit gutted the throwing stick and braid hasn't turned up yet because it was out of stock after I ordered it?lol I've got work for a few hours then off for 48 hours on the bank!!! I couldn't get 20-24mm boilies this time but I've got 18mm with 15mm pop ups, so I'll try double bottom baits and a snowman rig :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it goes against most of the other advice you have been given, but I would keep in with some spod mix. On Ardleigh some nights I could get breamed out, even with 18 and 15mm boilies on a snowman bait, yet others it could be carp first. The groundbait mix was usually fished The Method style, with a snowman hookbait, and consisted of Vitalin, particles, Sweetcorn and pellets.

Some nights I was spodding in a few kilos of bait, and catching carp from the off. I remember a few times spodding in bait, near the small dam, and catching a few decent carp. Strangely enough the weights of both the largest were exactly the same, a battle scarred mirror, and a wild angry leather.

 

 

Margins deep enough to fish?

To some extent if it is more than 2 feet deep then it's deep enough to fish, and if you can get to 3 or 4 feet of depth then you can keep an eye on your baited area. 20 feet or so? Perfect, the bream don't necessarily like coming that close to the bank, whereas carp will.

While I was fishing the reservoir, the majority of the carp were all hooked in 6feet of water, and that was around 30 yards out, although one came from inches from the bank, with only just enough water to cover their back.

 

Use whatever boilie you feel comfortable with, the carp will be competing with the carp, so will likely eat any decent bait. As it happened, when I was fishing Ardleigh I was using Particle42 boilies, based around Tiger Nuts and other particles, it's not the bait it is finding the fish.

Carp can move into areas being frequented by bream, if you go back through John Wilson's Go Fishing, he fished Ardleigh for some of the bream, in the middle of his bream haul he hooked a carp on his bream gear. I had the same; eleven or twelve bream, the next fish was a carp.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was going to be bad session because things weren't going to plan as soon as I got there. As I was strapping the bungees down on the barrow, one came loose and cracked me right across my back.. It stung for ages lol.

When I got to my swim I found a nice patch with the marker and went to throw some boilies out with the stick, as soon as the first one hit the water about 20 gulls flew across the reservoir and started nailing every boilie. I swear they was getting them before they hit the water. So I gave up and waited for them to fly off and they did, but to the far bank. That was it then as soon as I would pick up the stick they would fly over straight away. I stopped baiting up, chucked the rods out to the marker with a stringer on each and waited for it to get dark.

When it was dark I couldn't really see that much but still chucked out roughly a kilo of boilies with the stick around the area the marker was. Worked like a charm. I landed 2 and lost 1 at the net on the first night. One was 12lb and the other was 15lb 8oz. The one lost at the net was much smaller so I wasn't too bothered lol. On the second day i banked a 21 1/2lb common. What a cracking fish, it was my first 20 of the year too. It pretty much went dead after that, I couldn't get any bait out till it was dark and when it was I chucked out roughly another kilo. I had a drop back early hours of this morning which the back lead got snagged on something under the water, I'm pretty sure it was a stump. I lost the fish but luckily I didn't get snapped up and managed to get my gear back. I didn't catch anything after that but enjoyed the rest of today lying on the bank catching some sun lol.

Big thanks to all you lads that helped me!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jh92 said:

I thought it was going to be bad session because things weren't going to plan as soon as I got there. As I was strapping the bungees down on the barrow, one came loose and cracked me right across my back.. It stung for ages lol.

When I got to my swim I found a nice patch with the marker and went to throw some boilies out with the stick, as soon as the first one hit the water about 20 gulls flew across the reservoir and started nailing every boilie. I swear they was getting them before they hit the water. So I gave up and waited for them to fly off and they did, but to the far bank. That was it then as soon as I would pick up the stick they would fly over straight away. I stopped baiting up, chucked the rods out to the marker with a stringer on each and waited for it to get dark.

When it was dark I couldn't really see that much but still chucked out roughly a kilo of boilies with the stick around the area the marker was. Worked like a charm. I landed 2 and lost 1 at the net on the first night. One was 12lb and the other was 15lb 8oz. The one lost at the net was much smaller so I wasn't too bothered lol. On the second day i banked a 21 1/2lb common. What a cracking fish, it was my first 20 of the year too. It pretty much went dead after that, I couldn't get any bait out till it was dark and when it was I chucked out roughly another kilo. I had a drop back early hours of this morning which the back lead got snagged on something under the water, I'm pretty sure it was a stump. I lost the fish but luckily I didn't get snapped up and managed to get my gear back. I didn't catch anything after that but enjoyed the rest of today lying on the bank catching some sun lol.

Big thanks to all you lads that helped me!!

I think you have discovered that back leads can be a pain, any snags or weed they can cost you fish; either by lack of indication at the rod end, or by holding the line in snags or weed.

 

I know how much of a pain seagulls can be, I gave up with the stick or the catty if they are about, and if the spod or Spomb is spooking fish, as it can, it might be worth resorting to stringers.

 

I have a favourite picture of one of my stringer set-ups I have been known to use to 'beat the birds', 30 casts with 30 bait stringers soon gets a bit of bait out.

A mate was taking the mickey out of me for doing it, yet 10 minutes after the last one I had a 28lb Two Tone Linear.

I would say leave a gap between each bait, so they can come apart, but if some are tight it does confuse the fish a bit:wink:

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I think you have discovered that back leads can be a pain, any snags or weed they can cost you fish; either by lack of indication at the rod end, or by holding the line in snags or weed.

 

I know how much of a pain seagulls can be, I gave up with the stick or the catty if they are about, and if the spod or Spomb is spooking fish, as it can, it might be worth resorting to stringers.

 

I have a favourite picture of one of my stringer set-ups I have been known to use to 'beat the birds', 30 casts with 30 bait stringers soon gets a bit of bait out.

A mate was taking the mickey out of me for doing it, yet 10 minutes after the last one I had a 28lb Two Tone Linear.

I would say leave a gap between each bait, so they can come apart, but if some are tight it does confuse the fish a bit:wink:

image.jpeg

Yeah mate but the problem is I can't help but think if the line isn't pinned down on the bottom, fish could swim into the line easier and spook because of the angle of the line going from the rod tip to the lead? 

I was so mad at the seagulls but at the same time I did find it pretty amusing because these birds new what they was doing. They would sit on the far bank from dawn till dusk just waiting for anglers to bait up!! I think using a spomb/spod will be okay because a lot of anglers use it to get bait out and still catch, I wish I took mine but it got left in the shed lol :(

I've never seen anything like that before mate lol is it awkward to cast? I will give that a try if I forget or can't use a spomb next time. I do have a question though, when making stringers, do you use PVA string or PVA tape? I used string a few years a go and I found that the boilies slide up and down on it? Maybe I was using the wrong thickness but tape worked better in the end lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jh92 said:

Yeah mate but the problem is I can't help but think if the line isn't pinned down on the bottom, fish could swim into the line easier and spook because of the angle of the line going from the rod tip to the lead? 

I was so mad at the seagulls but at the same time I did find it pretty amusing because these birds new what they was doing. They would sit on the far bank from dawn till dusk just waiting for anglers to bait up!! I think using a spomb/spod will be okay because a lot of anglers use it to get bait out and still catch, I wish I took mine but it got left in the shed lol :(

I've never seen anything like that before mate lol is it awkward to cast? I will give that a try if I forget or can't use a spomb next time. I do have a question though, when making stringers, do you use PVA string or PVA tape? I used string a few years a go and I found that the boilies slide up and down on it? Maybe I was using the wrong thickness but tape worked better in the end lol 

That thing can be a bit wobbly in the cast, but because it is tied to the run ring and hook it tends to follow the lead and stay tangle free.

For stringers I have used Kryston Meltdown for years, I found it simply the best. I know it's a 'waste', but to stop boilies sliding I usually double it over for short stringers that I attach to the hook. For longer stringers I tie an overhand knot at the end, and only double over the end that I thread them onto that. 

That long stringer was tied to the run ring at the run ring, and looking carefully, the snowman hookbait is formed with one of the baits on the stringer. 

 

Seagulls, on Nazeing as soon as you pick up the throwing stick they appear. Sometimes you may get away with firing out 3 or 4 baits before they come in, but no more.

 

Depending on the range, unless you have your tips up in the air, at around 40metres the line is laying along the lakebed anyway. It naturally arcs down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

That thing can be a bit wobbly in the cast, but because it is tied to the run ring and hook it tends to follow the lead and stay tangle free.

For stringers I have used Kryston Meltdown for years, I found it simply the best. I know it's a 'waste', but to stop boilies sliding I usually double it over for short stringers that I attach to the hook. For longer stringers I tie an overhand knot at the end, and only double over the end that I thread them onto that. 

That long stringer was tied to the run ring at the run ring, and looking carefully, the snowman hookbait is formed with one of the baits on the stringer. 

 

Seagulls, on Nazeing as soon as you pick up the throwing stick they appear. Sometimes you may get away with firing out 3 or 4 baits before they come in, but no more.

 

Depending on the range, unless you have your tips up in the air, at around 40metres the line is laying along the lakebed anyway. It naturally arcs down. 

I will give it a go mate, maybe not so many to start with though lol. I'll use up the rest of my tape first and then look at trying the kryston meltdown. 

Same as where I was fishing mate, as soon as you pick the stick up they will start flying towards you lol!

I'm fishing at about 90 yards on the reservoir I'm on at the moment, so next time I'll give it a go without back leads. Thanks for the help mate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mate thats the biggest stringer I've ever seen, no wonder it was hard to cast.

Have u tried stocking. It casts alot easier than stringers, i gave up them years ago. 5-7 baits in a stocking casts any distance. 

As for the gulls, spomb every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear you CM. 

Nearly invested in one a few years ago. Cant quite put my finger on why?? But most venues have banned them round my neck of the woods. So never bought one mate. The new estate ticket however has me rethinking to get to inaccessible spots that have probably never seen a rig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, commonly said:

Mate thats the biggest stringer I've ever seen, no wonder it was hard to cast.

Have u tried stocking. It casts alot easier than stringers, i gave up them years ago. 5-7 baits in a stocking casts any distance. 

As for the gulls, spomb every time.

I wonder how much you would go through if you was sing 30 baits at a time mate lol

3 hours ago, carpmachine said:

Bait boat chaps, they wont go near it.

Maybe one day mate but they are really expensive and I'm not willing to invest in one yet. 

1 hour ago, Big Common said:

Congrats on your fish JH, good angling mate. Not sure how far out you need to get your baits, but spombing them usually puts the gulls off on our place, long enough for each delivery to sink. They don't seem to like the spomb being retrieved across the surface.

I'm fishing at about 90 yards at the moment mate using 9ft 2.75 t/c rods with small reels and I'm struggling to get it further. The carp are close to the far bank, and usually stay around there because you can't fish from that bank. Next time I go I'm taking my 13ft 3.25 t/c rods with big pit reels and hopefully get it closer to the far bank. I normally use one of my 13ft rods for spombing but if I'm using all 3 next time I might just use one of my beach casting rods with a spare big pit reel. It might not look the part but it will certainly belt a spomb far enough lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, carpmachine said:

Bait boat chaps, they wont go near it.

I'm sure someone on here mentioned having their boat attacked ?

The trouble is anglers train them, and just like crayfish - nothing stops them. Mind you, a shot gun or rifle might have a better return on investment (for the birds that is) :evil:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jh if you need 30 baits go to a pva bag mate.

Or try to be accurate with the ol spomb.

The birds tend to stay away from that, on the cast, although i did have an encounter with a swan  on retrieval once.

You are dead right on boats being expensive. As above I'm really thinking about one for my new venue.I'm convinced it will be devastating there. Just a question of whats the best value. Do u need sonar etc. Maybe look for a different thread before & whilst i save up. Wish my lottery win would hurry up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ianain said:

I'm sure someone on here mentioned having their boat attacked ?

The trouble is anglers train them, and just like crayfish - nothing stops them. Mind you, a shot gun or rifle might have a better return on investment (for the birds that is) :evil:

I wish lol

14 hours ago, commonly said:

Jh if you need 30 baits go to a pva bag mate.

Or try to be accurate with the ol spomb.

The birds tend to stay away from that, on the cast, although i did have an encounter with a swan  on retrieval once.

You are dead right on boats being expensive. As above I'm really thinking about one for my new venue.I'm convinced it will be devastating there. Just a question of whats the best value. Do u need sonar etc. Maybe look for a different thread before & whilst i save up. Wish my lottery win would hurry up.

Cheers bud, I'll probably stick to spombing in the day and throwing stick in the night. And yeah I had a look at some boats last night on angling direct... Roughly £500 for their cheapest boat lol

11 hours ago, David_gravesend said:

Birds don't like the spomb and braid lying on the surface so I usually  make a cast with a baited spomb then don't retrieve it, I'll use the spomb as a marker for the catapult or throwing stick to get a better spread of bait. The gulls don't go anywhere near it!

I'll give that a go next time mate. Someone on there suggested a laser pen? But it got me thinking, that would only work in the dark? Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jh92 said:

Someone on there suggested a laser pen? But it got me thinking, that would only work in the dark? Lol

That can deal with coots but not really gulls. They also scare carp incredibly effectively; as water is denser than air the laser looks like a mile-long light saber under the surface!

Spomb is the way for me. When it hits the surface leave it in place for the baits to sink a little, if you retrieve straight away the birds can still dive on them and get them.

Well done on your fish bud!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...