Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
motherhooker

Prebaiting on the other side of canal

Hi All

I've been prebaiting on my local canal for a few weeks but it been on the other side there is no access so can't see if the bait is being eaten. So not sure if it's going to work any ideas of finding out if the bait is being eaten 

Thanks 

Ian 

9 hours ago, motherhooker said:

can't see if the bait is being eaten.

This time of year, the canal is fairly coloured anyway, so even if you waded, filmed or walked around - you probably wouldn't see it anyway.

IMO, pre-baiting like this is a case of putting small amounts in over a long time so that the fish get used to the feed and the location, it also gives you plenty of bank time to observe any movements. Big carp will reveal themselves if you have the right feed and wait patiently - how deep is the water on the far bank?

4 hours ago, motherhooker said:

First ever canal carp 12lb but went like a rocket perfect mouth I know it relatively small but feels great to get off the mark will keep you all updated

Thanks

Ian

A carp from a river or canal is worth a whole lot more than a carp from a lake. It is one of the reasons i dislike weight being used as a measure of success!

Almost any 'numpty' can catch a big carp from a lake, but to catch one of any size from the river or canal is worthy.

In fact i still class a carp from my local river as a pb, despite having caught larger.

Well done on the fish. Must have been a great feeling when that rod went the first time after all that effort :) 

Im really no expert, but I'm thinking maybe you could start to reduce what you're putting in a bit but maybe not just yet? Weather is still pretty mild. It seems like there are fish that you have already educated about your spot so now in my head at least your just looking to keep the spot 'live'.