Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Carp123_0

Who fishes with 2 rods ?

Regardless of water size....once i was in my own and fished 3 rods....playing 1 fish and gods honest truth i had the other 2 rods run off also...luckliy an angler was looking with a friend for were to fish and he helped....so now gone down to 2 rods regardless were i am now20170806_074252.thumb.jpg.289ef641cb6afccf1a2a22a51fedcf82.jpg

Personally, if I am or likely to be getting bites quickly I would go down to one rod - I really don't like having more than one fish to deal with at a time. It's down to the individual and their confidence / proficiency in handling more than one fish at a time. On slow waters, I'd happily use three - it's always been a dilemma for me as my thinking is that I will catch where I cast, otherwise what's the point in casting there.

Any how, that's my think on the subject.

When the wife got made redundant I went down to 2 rods.... then when she got a job she treated me to a pair of Dwarf 9' 2.75lbs rods... since then the Dwarfs have been my go to rods... just the two.. not looked back really... a tangle at tall trees where one fish wiped out the other 2 lines and lost me the fish were also a deciding factor....

To me it mostly depends on water rules and the lake itself.

Obviously if rules stipulate 2 rods then that is what I use, but on a local park lake of maybe an acre I use 1 or sometimes 2. Often I spend the time fish searching and stalking so it's 1 rod only, if I'm parked up in a swim settled down its 2 rods.

My main waters tend to be 3 rods though.

I am comfortable whatever I fish, knowing how to deal with various situations, takes on the middle rod (which can be fun), or multiple takes.

2 rods on the 2 acre pool, 3 on the 60 acre lake.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

As others have said, it depends on the lake.

If I'm in France, lake exclusive and plenty of room, I'll fish 3 during daylight hours, dropping back to 2 when it gets dark.

When it's "head down" time, all my rods will come in as I sleep like a log and don't want to put fish at risk.

On my club or day ticket water I'm quite happy fishing two. Unless the going gets really hard and I might put the 3rd out with a different set up on (i.e. a pop up or wafter as I tend to fish bottom baits).

3 rods. 

I step in to a swim and pre plan as mentioned by others. I know where my rods are placed and how I'll land a fish should I get a run on any of the rods. I fish two on buzzbars and the other as a single. Normally is down the margin. It helps ensure room in the swim to easily land fish. I also always have waders with me as if you can get in to land a fish it makes it so much easier to keep out the way of the other lines. 

Sometimes sh*t happens and it'll take out another or both the other rods. You just recast them. 

Only fish two of the rules state it or there's a lot of lines in the area already. 

The rule book from my lake says 2 rods....But after seeing the baliff constantly using 3 rods, I will use 2 during the day and if the lake is quite only 2 or 3 other people on...I will chuck a third out at night, on a zig, in a random place for a chance of a bonus fish........which last night was a lost carp AND a pike....which couldnt have been more then 2lb

I'm with Big Common on this, two rods on small waters, and three on big waters, (just as long as there are only a few other anglers around). 

BOF  :wink:

You have to look at your swim and determine what the situation requires. If you're in a tiny little corner fishing under a bush a single rod is your best bet, if it's a small swim on a busy water 2 rods might be the one, but if you have enough room to fish 3 rods effectively then using anything less is just foolish IMO, it is cutting your chances.

If I think I can get away with it I'll use 3, all day. I'll treat each of those with the same significance as the next i.e. I wont just hoy one in the margins as an afterthought or chuck it out on a single at a rolling tench. They'll all be carefully considered, placed on prime spots on which I have seen carp, baited to suit the activity I've seen. I treat each rod as though it's my only rod, at the end of the day it could be that rod that does your next pb.....

Three rods fishing effectively is what gives you the best chance of catching. In fact I just relaised that my session this weekend (see August catch reports) saw a fish on each of the rods.... 

51 minutes ago, yonny said:

placed on prime spots on which I have seen carp, baited to suit the activity I've seen

I'm doomed Yonny, doomed I tell you ! Having seen less than a handful of confirmed Carp sightings since I joined the place I couldn't cast out one rod with confidence yet.

:)

BOF  :wink:

Ive been using 2 rods so far this year, but come end of September when there's less people on the lake ill be back to using 4. 2 on spots, 1 in the marges & 1 ready to chuck at showing fish. The chuck anyway rod will be a more heavier set up this year incase the showing fish is a cat.