Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
banjojohn

The Mighty Pellet

Yeah ... another question * blush * 

I was using Halibut Pellets from Dynamite baits ... the 14mm Ones , and they come pre drilled for the hair , but every time I reeled in they had come off , no Idea why , definitely wasnt a bite ,

How do you keep them on apart from a band , and if the band is the only way ... how do you band yours ?

Many Thanks :)

6 minutes ago, banjojohn said:

Yeah ... another question * blush * 

I was using Halibut Pellets from Dynamite baits ... the 14mm Ones , and they come pre drilled for the hair , but every time I reeled in they had come off , no Idea why , definitely wasnt a bite ,

How do you keep them on apart from a band , and if the band is the only way ... how do you band yours ?

Many Thanks :)

I find the pre drilled ones are loose on the hair and in the water the boilie stop manages to fall out so what I use is a piece of fake maize pulled down tight to the boilie stop mate

Edited by jh92

1 hour ago, malcfish said:

how long are they out before you reel in. do you use pellet stops. or boilie stops.

Theres such a thing as a pellet stop ? :) I just used a normal dogbone boilie stop ,

400x300.jpg

1 hour ago, malcfish said:

how long are they out before you reel in. do you use pellet stops. or boilie stops.

I've actually cast out and reeled in straight away to check and it had come off :?

1 hour ago, jh92 said:

I find the pre drilled ones are loose on the hair and in the water the boilie stop manages to fall out so what I use is a piece of fake maize pulled down tight to the boilie stop mate

1 hour ago, carpmachine said:

Bit of a cocktail stick wedging the hair in the hole, also gives it a little bouyancy, you still need the hairstop.

Excellent Ideas guys , tightening the hole would be a good idea as the hair is very loose , Thanks so much :)

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Use the Extender or V shaped stops, I think Fox and Korda do them. Pull the halibut pellet tight onto them and it should get a grip on the stop.

I do have some of those but they never fit in the hole ... is the trick to pull it really tight ? I actually chisel a dent in the hole so it fitted flush , I'll try pulling it real hard now on a quick setup on the table , ( that sounded so wrong , ) and Thanks Sir :) 

Try dropping your pellet in a glass of cold water and time how long it takes to go crumbly, a couple or three hours probably, and then imagine all the small fish having a go at the surface. Its no wonder that your pellets don't make it back, I'd suggest wrapping them in Armamesh that should help keep them together for longer, and keep them on the hook.

BOF  :wink:

1 minute ago, bof1 said:

Try dropping your pellet in a glass of cold water and time how long it takes to go crumbly, a couple or three hours probably, and then imagine all the small fish having a go at the surface. Its no wonder that your pellets don't make it back, I'd suggest wrapping them in Armamesh that should help keep them together for longer, and keep them on the hook.

Old ladies stocking or tights mesh works just as well.

14 minutes ago, bof1 said:

12 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Old ladies stocking or tights mesh works just as well.

8 minutes ago, bof1 said:

Yes but you can buy Armamesh in a tackle shop, I'm not sure what you would have to do to get hold of an old ladies tights, and how she would react to you cutting holes in them.

I do think they are actually coming off as the holes are very big , but I do have 14mm arma mesh and like the idea of a wrapped 14mm pellet thats been soaked in krill , Thanks guys :) 

On 20 August 2017 at 20:33, Highy said:

315pieces-x-Stops-Carp-Fishing-Hair-Rig-Boilie-Bait-dumbell-Stops-Boilie-V-Hair-Stop-L499.thumb.jpg.f8dc32e3bdb7990b08fe80e2dbcb4f25.jpgOn pre drilled i use the big v boilie stop and pull over...👍👍

The smaller one work very nicely with meshed real baits where there are crayfish. I use a soaked wooden ball, a meshed bait and the the smaller stop pictured. While the Crays will get through the mesh, they can't remove the boilie stop, so I will still have a bait on the hair.

don't know if anyone mentioned these though?

https://www.avidcarp.com/Products/Imitation-Bait/SIGHT-STOPS

On 8/20/2017 at 18:53, banjojohn said:

I was using Halibut Pellets from Dynamite baits

You know Dynamite do a marine hali boilie right? They're really good mate, I spent two seasons on that stuff many years ago and caught a hell of a lot of carp on it.

You could just use a shelf life bait on the hair? Or they do pop ups too....

On 23/08/2017 at 14:05, salokcinnodrog said:

The smaller one work very nicely with meshed real baits where there are crayfish. I use a soaked wooden ball, a meshed bait and the the smaller stop pictured. While the Crays will get through the mesh, they can't remove the boilie stop, so I will still have a bait on the hair.

don't know if anyone mentioned these though?

https://www.avidcarp.com/Products/Imitation-Bait/SIGHT-STOPS

Thanks Salok ,

I do have the bright button hair stop , There good for surface fishing so you can spot the bait easier ,

So far I've not seen crayfish so hopefully there isnt any :) 

On 23/08/2017 at 14:17, yonny said:

You know Dynamite do a marine hali boilie right? They're really good mate, I spent two seasons on that stuff many years ago and caught a hell of a lot of carp on it.

You could just use a shelf life bait on the hair? Or they do pop ups too..../

That sounds ideal , Thanks Yonny :) Maybe they even do a base mix so you can use cork balls 

I use pellets a lot, fox pellet pegs are what you need, they are similar to a v-shaped boilie stop but they have a round profile so they help to block the hole in the pellet which slows down water ingress and helps them last longer on the hair, they work perfectly with a 1.5mm nut drill and you'll find them in the 'fox edges' range of end tackle in any decent tackle shop :wink: