Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Hi all.

I've been fishing on and off for many years.

I've done all types of fishing over that time.

Course, shore, pike but never any carp so I fancied a new challenge and being based in the northwest it's a real challenge.

So I'm going to have a good search and read of the forum and if there's anything I can't find I will be asking questions.:D

46 minutes ago, finchey said:

Hi all.

I've been fishing on and off for many years.

I've done all types of fishing over that time.

Course, shore, pike but never any carp so I fancied a new challenge and being based in the northwest it's a real challenge.

So I'm going to have a good search and read of the forum and if there's anything I can't find I will be asking questions.:D

Hi Finchey...also based in the Northwest....mainly match fished until about 6months ago when i packed up n went into Carp game....complete change but the forum/guys on here offer awsome advice, helped me loads.

Good luck 🎣🎣

3 hours ago, Highy said:

Hi Finchey...also based in the Northwest....mainly match fished until about 6months ago when i packed up n went into Carp game....complete change but the forum/guys on here offer awsome advice, helped me loads.

Good luck 🎣🎣

Hi Highy.

Where abouts in the northwest are you from, you never know i might bump into you on the bank sometime and pick your brains.:D

I remember when I started last year, I was looking at different rigs, set ups & essential items I needed. For about 3 months it felt like Christmas with all the parcels arriving lol. I do get most of my small bits like hooks, putty, swivels etc from my local tackleshop. It helps them & they will order me stuff in which saves paying P&P. 

I look forward to chatting to you in the future & good luck on your next trip :)

Alarm upgrade & an over wrap for my bivvy is next on the list. Last winter was annoying due to condensation build up every morning. I upgraded alot of my winter kit this summer while the prices are low, so I should be more comfortable, fingers crossed.

Dont think i will be doing any winter carp...may try piking...

Lookin at some mini pits...NGT VS alarms with built in snag ears..dunno on rods yet maybe the Classis ngt carbon carp rods ?? Dunno why but i like most NGT gear but terminal is deffo korda n fox

28 minutes ago, Highy said:

Dont think i will be doing any winter carp...may try piking...

Lookin at some mini pits...NGT VS alarms with built in snag ears..dunno on rods yet maybe the Classis ngt carbon carp rods ?? Dunno why but i like most NGT gear but terminal is deffo korda n fox

I mix my winter fishing around my days off if I am working.

Last winter I would work 2 weekends out of 4, so I would get a day off midweek to make up for working the Saturday or Sunday. The single days I would spend pike fishing, the two nights I would drive to the lake straight after work and go carp fishing.

1 hour ago, Ghost hunter said:

I remember when I started last year, I was looking at different rigs, set ups & essential items I needed. For about 3 months it felt like Christmas with all the parcels arriving lol. I do get most of my small bits like hooks, putty, swivels etc from my local tackleshop. It helps them & they will order me stuff in which saves paying P&P. 

I look forward to chatting to you in the future & good luck on your next trip :)

My local tackle shop is quite expensive so I'm afraid most of tackle comes from flea bay.

Don't think I will be carping in winter.

I work most weekends so most of my fishing is midweek.

I will be piking in winter.:D

11 hours ago, finchey said:

My local tackle shop is quite expensive so I'm afraid most of tackle comes from flea bay.

Don't think I will be carping in winter.

I work most weekends so most of my fishing is midweek.

I will be piking in winter.:D

Ive never been pike fishing, though I have caught 2 in my lifetime. First one was quite funny me & a mate were float fishing & he had snapped off so I kept trying to cast over the line to get his float back, as I was reeling in I felt the line tighten & was into a fish, I thought I had foul hooked. Got it to the bank & it was about a 1lb jack pike with the hook firmly in its mouth. My hook must of been spinning on the retrieve & had caught the light & he went for it..

I love autumn/winter fishing its my favorite time of year. Plus its less busy so I can take the chance to prebait areas without people fishing my spots. I caught my pb common at 17.6 last winter doing this.

2 hours ago, Ghost hunter said:

Ive never been pike fishing, though I have caught 2 in my lifetime. First one was quite funny me & a mate were float fishing & he had snapped off so I kept trying to cast over the line to get his float back, as I was reeling in I felt the line tighten & was into a fish, I thought I had foul hooked. Got it to the bank & it was about a 1lb jack pike with the hook firmly in its mouth. My hook must of been spinning on the retrieve & had caught the light & he went for it..

I love autumn/winter fishing its my favorite time of year. Plus its less busy so I can take the chance to prebait areas without people fishing my spots. I caught my pb common at 17.6 last winter doing this.

Pike fishing was my real passion for many years.

Me and my best mate used to fish every chance we got, winter autumn spring and summer.

From local ressys to Scotland and most of all the lake District.

Dead and live bait lures of any type from the biggest jerk bait to ultra light spinners.

I loved it then I got MARRIED, so fishing was put on the back burner.

Never really took it that series since, got into shore fishing quite a bit but that got expensive, me and the same mate where traveling to North Wales quite a lot, so there again sort of died a death.

I work vertically ever Saturday night and have done for the last 14 years, so I get a couple of mid week days of so I'm going to try again, my best mate is now a self employed plumber so I don't get chance to fish with him anymore, so it's just me so I'll see how things go. There's a lad at work who's in to his carp fishing a bit so I may have some trips with him, it will be day session's for me, nothing to serious.

I will see how it goes, I do love being on that bank though you can't beat it. Like you say winter and autumn are the best nice and quiet.

Here's to our next pb. 

6 hours ago, Ghost hunter said:

3 hours ago, finchey said:

Pike fishing was my real passion for many years.

Me and my best mate used to fish every chance we got, winter autumn spring and summer.

From local ressys to Scotland and most of all the lake District.

Dead and live bait lures of any type from the biggest jerk bait to ultra light spinners.

I loved it then I got MARRIED, so fishing was put on the back burner.

Never really took it that series since, got into shore fishing quite a bit but that got expensive, me and the same mate where traveling to North Wales quite a lot, so there again sort of died a death.

I work vertically ever Saturday night and have done for the last 14 years, so I get a couple of mid week days of so I'm going to try again, my best mate is now a self employed plumber so I don't get chance to fish with him anymore, so it's just me so I'll see how things go. There's a lad at work who's in to his carp fishing a bit so I may have some trips with him, it will be day session's for me, nothing to serious.

I will see how it goes, I do love being on that bank though you can't beat it. Like you say winter and autumn are the best nice and quiet.

Here's to our next pb. 

I used to do a lot of pike fishing in my teenage years, managed a pb of 20lb 6oz, but moved away more into carp when I left home. When I came back to Suffolk I stuck with mostly carp, but one day a mate and I got to the lake to find it was frozen. After a real bottom lip wobbler, we decided to go along the local river for a few pike. Over the rest of the season I managed a number of doubles, but gave it a rest when I started catching the same fish again. 

It got me back into pike fishing on local lakes, and after losing a definite 20 on a local, when the line chafed on a metal cable, a mate and I went back, and as his 2nd ever pike he caught it at 22lb, still with my trace from the previous week, We carried on on another venue where I was picking up doubles. After a blank weekend we tried the other lake and I caught my second ever 20 at 22lb6oz on a joey mackeral. Since then I've fished for uncharted pike on waters with no history.

Edited by salokcinnodrog
Typo

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I used to do a lot of pike fishing in my teenage years, managed a pb of 20lb 6oz, but moved away more into carp when I left home. When I came back to Suffolk I stuck with mostly carp, but one day a mate and I got to the lake to find it was frozen. After a real bottom lip wobbler, we decided to go along the local river for a few pike. Over the rest of the season I managed a number of doubles, but gave it a rest when I started catching the same fish again. 

It got me back into pike fishing on local lakes, and after losing a definite 20 on a local, when the line chafed on a metal cable, a mate and I went back, and as his 2nd ever pike he caught it at 22lb, still with my trace from the previous week, We carried on on another venue where I was picking up doubles. After a blank weekend we tried the other lake and I caught my second ever 20 at 22lb6oz on a joey mackeral. Since then I've fished for uncharted pike on waters with no history.

It sounds like the pike fishing in your part of the country is much better than up north, in all my years pike fishing my best was 27.7 next after that was a 24.7, had plenty of doubles but only the two twenty's.

But I just love being out there fishing that's what it's all about.:D

Edited by salokcinnodrog
Typo on quote, NG edited