Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
finchey

Ready made rigs.

As a newbie have been looking on the bay at ready tied rigs chod and kd.

I thought maybe purchase a couple and use them for my fishing and then use them as patterns to make my own eventually.

Any thoughts on this idea.

Are there any worth buying or should I just avoid them and just make my own.

Hi Finch...me again...as i was a newbie thats wot i did but watching youtube and looking through the forum...i started off with just single hair..then double..tried ronnies..chods..d's..

Them are the only rigs i use but depending on location...other rigs may benefit...zig...heli..etc

Most of the guys on here have done Carp fishing for years...i was mainly match but converted around 6months ago...

🎣🎣🎣

To be honest making your own rigs is simple, painless and cheaper than buying ready tied rigs.

A standard coated braid hooklink material, a packet of size 8 swivels, a packet of hooks, maybe some shrink tube.

It is honestly as simple as tie a loop in the end of the hooklink material, then knotless knot the hook on, allowing your hair length, shrink tube if you want or need it for a kicker or line aligner, then tie on a hooklink swivel.

I'm ok with the simple hair rig.

Been making them on and off for years now.

It was mainly chod and kd I was after but I'll have a look at youtube and have a go at making some and see how they turn out.

I do enjoy making my own rigs used too do all my own sea and pike rigs.

5 hours ago, finchey said:

As a newbie have been looking on the bay at ready tied rigs chod and kd.

I thought maybe purchase a couple and use them for my fishing and then use them as patterns to make my own eventually.

Any thoughts on this idea.

Are there any worth buying or should I just avoid them and just make my own.

Hello Finchey

I've done just as you suggest i.e. I wanted to change from Bottom Baits to Pop Ups so I bought some   Stiff Hinge Rigs , and some Multi Rigs ; I then tried both rigs , decided on which I liked best and went out and bought the materials to make my own Rigs - then the Ronnie Rig came out , and I changed my mind ! .

59 minutes ago, crusian said:

Hello Finchey

I've done just as you suggest i.e. I wanted to change from Bottom Baits to Pop Ups so I bought some   Stiff Hinge Rigs , and some Multi Rigs ; I then tried both rigs , decided on which I liked best and went out and bought the materials to make my own Rigs - then the Ronnie Rig came out , and I changed my mind ! .

Hi Crusian.

Any recommendations as to which pre tied rigs.

26 minutes ago, finchey said:

Hi Crusian.

Any recommendations as to which pre tied rigs.

Hi Finchey

I just looked at who did which rig / used the materials I was already using i.e. Gardner Mugga Hooks .

You could try a Multi Rig , a Stiff Hinge Rig , a Ronnie Rig ( I think you have to add your own Hook Length to the Ronnie ) . The Multi Rig as you will see isn't too complicated to tie yourself , but the Stiff Hinge Rig is a bit more involved .

Then maybe when you try each Rig one may work better for you - converts more bites into fish hooked / better hook holds / more straight forward to tie / better suited to the lake bottom you are  fishing over . 

:)

11 hours ago, finchey said:

It was mainly chod and kd I was after but I'll have a look at youtube and have a go at making some and see how they turn out.

A kd rig is even simpler to tie than a standard hair rig? needs nothing extra or different.

Chods are an art to master, but you pick it up very quickly. Best way to do it is just have a go at making your own, make them over and over and you'll get it right in the end. Multi rigs are stupidly easy to tie and very effective.

34 minutes ago, greekskii said:

A kd rig is even simpler to tie than a standard hair rig? needs nothing extra or different.

Chods are an art to master, but you pick it up very quickly. Best way to do it is just have a go at making your own, make them over and over and you'll get it right in the end. Multi rigs are stupidly easy to tie and very effective.

12 hours ago, finchey said:

The picture I have pinched from Carpology's The Ultimate Rig Guide, is of a KD rig. You may even be able to read the development and set up instructions.

I have my own Sliding/Blowback rig which I use the majority of the time. The main advantage for me is I can change the hair to cover crayfish damage, or hair length. I usually use it with Snowman hookbait, a soaked wooden ball and a meshed pop-up.

As Greekski says the Multi-rig is easy, and again I have a few, which I have been playing around with with bottom baits fished 'kebab' style', wooden ball, meshed bait and a pop-up. 

I may may not be particularly adventurous when it comes to rigs, I don't need to be, but I do incorporate new things if I think it will be an advantage.

I used to tie my own and to be honest they looked crude and were largely a bit hit or miss... now I'm approaching 60 and my hands are starting to suffer with arthritis so for me Ready-Mades are the way forward... I saw that Korda are doing all sorts of rig styles now, so that'll suit me till they plant me in me box...

You can buy some cheap hooklink materials on ebay to practice with. Then when your happy use your decent stuff, thats what I do. Ive learnt a fair few rigs over the past year & the one I get results on is a standard uncoated hair rig for bottom baits & the multi rig for pop ups.

Its also a confidence thing too, ive started to make the ronnie rig & it doesn't sit well with me yet (maybe hook choice is wrong) but if I casted it out now id be constantly thinking about it instead of keeping my mind on fishing & whats going on around me.

1 hour ago, Ghost hunter said:

You can buy some cheap hooklink materials on ebay to practice with. Then when your happy use your decent stuff, thats what I do. Ive learnt a fair few rigs over the past year & the one I get results on is a standard uncoated hair rig for bottom baits & the multi rig for pop ups.

Its also a confidence thing too, ive started to make the ronnie rig & it doesn't sit well with me yet (maybe hook choice is wrong) but if I casted it out now id be constantly thinking about it instead of keeping my mind on fishing & whats going on around me.

Do have a link or a rough Idea in price.

I've seen some on there for a fiver would that be about the cheapest I'd get it for?

4 minutes ago, finchey said:

Do have a link or a rough Idea in price.

I've seen some on there for a fiver would that be about the cheapest I'd get it for?

You can buy maver Jurassic hooklink on ebay for 3:99 or 3 for a tenner. 20m spools & steam straight easy enough too.

Thats what I use to practice with.

Not long returned to Carp fishing after an 18yr gap - thanks to retirement I now have the time. At 61 and no longer 20/20 vision, I find the ready made rigs a godsend (I used to tie own). Not that expensive and readily available.

On 8/23/2017 at 10:18, bluelabel said:

I used to tie my own and to be honest they looked crude and were largely a bit hit or miss... now I'm approaching 60 and my hands are starting to suffer with arthritis so for me Ready-Mades are the way forward... I saw that Korda are doing all sorts of rig styles now, so that'll suit me till they plant me in me box...

Nothing wrong with the Korda ready tied rigs.

10 minutes ago, Big Common said:

I know what you mean about eye sight, I've started wearing reading glasses to tie up mine. And they are gradually taking that bit longer to do.

Getting old's wonderful isn't it?

Played 18 holes of golf yesterday afternoon, ache all over this morning. Working between 10-4 and then off for a 24 session at White Cottage.

I won't need much rocking tonight.