Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Steve, the Bailiff at our place, is a decent bloke.
Always stops for a chat and offers his suggestions, mainly to do with bait presentation and spots to fish.
The lake is notoriously difficult and the fish are very rig shy, so any advice he can give me is welcome.

Whilst chatting the other week he noticed that I wasn't using rig tubing. It states in the rules that I should be using it, but I had somehow missed this when I first read them.
I have never used rig tubing before in my life, and had no idea. But he explained why it should be used, and how it might (might) improve my chances of catching one of these rig shy fish.
He could have got "funny" over this breach of rule, despite my ignorance, and I did in fact offer to pack up for the day as I obviously didn't have any tubing on me and didn't want to break any club rules.
But he gave me the benefit of the doubt and allowed me to carry on fishing, satisfied with my promise that I would be properly kitted out the next time I fished, which I was.
Prior to casting out the next time, I showed him my new, revised "tubed up" rig and he gave it the thumbs up. "The perfect set up" he said, which made me feel quite good if I'm honest.
I still blanked, but it was nice to get his approval!!

Edited by smufter

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 13:40, commonly said:

Too far from my rods.

15043558864731497716821.jpg

All photos make distance look further than it really is, looking at the foliage and the track i would not have a problem with this .

The EA rules i believe state ; Rods are to be no further than 10 feet apart , but im unsure as to whether it has a rule on how far YOU can be from your rods .

If i am wrong can someone post a link 

1 hour ago, dayvid said:

The EA rules i believe state ; Rods are to be no further than 10 feet apart , but im unsure as to whether it has a rule on how far YOU can be from your rods .

If i am wrong can someone post a link 

i do believe that the rules state 3mtrs max between your rod butts, no mention of an actual distance from your rods tho, just states " It’s illegal to leave a rod and line in the water unattended or over which you don’t have sufficient control ".

i have only come up against the 20ft rule where it was applied by the club, and club bailiffs? Pfffftttt!!

most clubs in my experience (unless specifically carp orientated) are headed by the old and decrepit, every club i have looked at in my area have a stipulation that committee members have to be members for at least 10 years before being considered for a position on T't committee and 15 for a chair position and ALL members shall act as club bailiffs, as i said, club bailiffs? Pffftttt!!

only ever got asked for my license once by an EA bailiff and that was when HE was fishing and i was just scoping out the water, i showed him mine and then asked to see his.

he replied that i dont have the authority to ask as he had showed me his EA Id but as i pointed out, if he didnt show then i was well within the law to assume that he was poaching and as there was a cop shop nearby it would be a matter of minutes to fetch a bobby who WOULD have the authority, called me very much 'up front' or sommat that sounded like that :wink::lol:

26 minutes ago, cyborx said:

i do believe that the rules state 3mtrs max between your rod butts, no mention of an actual distance from your rods tho, just states " It’s illegal to leave a rod and line in the water unattended or over which you don’t have sufficient control ".

i have only come up against the 20ft rule where it was applied by the club, and club bailiffs? Pfffftttt!!

most clubs in my experience (unless specifically carp orientated) are headed by the old and decrepit, every club i have looked at in my area have a stipulation that committee members have to be members for at least 10 years before being considered for a position on T't committee and 15 for a chair position and ALL members shall act as club bailiffs, as i said, club bailiffs? Pffftttt!!

only ever got asked for my license once by an EA bailiff and that was when HE was fishing and i was just scoping out the water, i showed him mine and then asked to see his.

he replied that i dont have the authority to ask as he had showed me his EA Id but as i pointed out, if he didnt show then i was well within the law to assume that he was poaching and as there was a cop shop nearby it would be a matter of minutes to fetch a bobby who WOULD have the authority, called me very much 'up front' or sommat that sounded like that :wink::lol:

Have had the three meter rule quoted to me before, my rods were on single banksticks, as i do. park ranger mentioned it even though my rods were less than 1.5 meters apart, measured it with my landing net handle after he had gone, he was just letting me know :?

On the distance away from the rods I think the EA go with the ten second test, as in being able to get to the rods with in ten seconds.

Still a bit annoyed about it. I had a couple of fish in close. 

I have bailiffed a syndicate, so am fully aware of the behind the scenes chores. 

I cant help feel this one(bailiff) had been hoping to get in that swim as the rest of the lake was rammed, he'd never seen anyone bivvied up there before & rather than listen to reason, put his foot down.

No ea rules other than you must be in control of the rod. 

Until next time i guess

45 minutes ago, cloud9 said:

Bolt can do 100 meters in under 10 seconds,.............

Lol, I have also been told  a rod has to be in reaching distance of where you are sitting at all times, not from a EA officer though, seems to be a bit of a gray area, i know carp anglers have been fined before, for being asleep and having rods out with no bite alarms.

Edited by Carpbell_ll

A  statement from the EA on previous convictions

“We will not prosecute sleeping anglers.” That is the message from the Environment Agency after widespread panic arose following a controversial court case.

Earlier this year, Essex-based rod Greg Holbrow was caught napping while fishing at his local Green Lane Fishery by bailiffs and given a court summons for the crime.
During the trial at Chelmsford Magistrates he failed to lodge a plea and was found guilty of fishing without a rod licence, leaving his rods unattended and failing to provide his name and address upon request. He was ordered to pay a total of £647 in fines and costs.

The move led to anglers raising concerns that the incident could set a precedent, potentially putting thousands of carp and specimen anglers who fish long sessions in danger of facing prosecution.

But the EA have now moved to allay those fears and revealed the exact reasons for the punishment.

A spokesperson for the government body said: “When approached, he was asleep in his van and failed to wake for 15 minutes. The bailiff tapped on his window, said hello and deliberately tripped his bite alarms to rouse him. When Mr Holbrow did awake, he failed to state his name and address to our bailiff, which is also an offence.

“We will not prosecute anglers simply for being asleep when fishing. Many anglers will take a nap but will respond immediately when they have a bite, often with the help of a bite alarm,”

Officials from the Angling Trust approached the EA to help reassure anglers and Fisheries and Enforcement manager Dilip Sarkar is delighted at the news. “It is clear that this angler's conduct was totally unacceptable on every level and got his just desserts,” he said.

“There is clearly nothing for responsible anglers, and carp anglers in particular, to be concerned about, which is as it should be.”

Taken from the Angling Times.

3 hours ago, dayvid said:

All photos make distance look further than it really is, looking at the foliage and the track i would not have a problem with this .

Looks a good 25 yards to me, from bivvy to rod. If you are fishing to weed, you are effectively snag fishing. There's no need to be that far back, just set your brolly up side on, just onto the track.

This is a public forum with lots of people looking in and reading these posts. Youngsters will think that it's ok to fish like that if people start condoning it. A fish can move a yard or two before you get a bleep. You need to be closer so that you can watch your tips and lines. As long as you are quiet and still they won't spook.... Had them feeding in the edge loads of times 4 to 5ft away.... Really exciting way to fish for them, especially when you can watch them close up....... 

10 hours ago, Big Common said:

Looks a good 25 yards to me, from bivvy to rod. If you are fishing to weed, you are effectively snag fishing. There's no need to be that far back, just set your brolly up side on, just onto the track.

This is a public forum with lots of people looking in and reading these posts. Youngsters will think that it's ok to fish like that if people start condoning it. A fish can move a yard or two before you get a bleep. You need to be closer so that you can watch your tips and lines. As long as you are quiet and still they won't spook.... Had them feeding in the edge loads of times 4 to 5ft away.... Really exciting way to fish for them, especially when you can watch them close up....... 

this post may be just a tad off topic but it do need saying, whilst i and many others would agree that this is a pretty open and popular forum it is also a place where personal views get aired every day.

just flicking back a week will highlight posts that are a LOT more controversial, such as the need for intelligent adult supervision when letting your youngster out on the bank with fishing tackle, after all would you let your kids go play with what can be compared to a loaded shotgun?

my personal thoughts on the OP are that personally i just would not fish that spot, that would be my choice but only because i like my bivvy door to be no more than 6ft away from my rod butts and that is a feature that ALWAYS dictates my fishing.

other than that i would not see a problem with fishing that spot at that distance on a short session as long as i was fishing the margin.

I cannot recall ever having any major issues with any bailiffs. But then I don't break any rules. Certainly not while they're looking anyway lol.....

On 9/2/2017 at 13:40, commonly said:

Too far from my rods.

It's tricky to see just how far that is in the photo. Whether it's safe or not depends completely on the what's in front of the swim which I do not know. Whether the bailiff is right or not depends on that and on the documented rule book.

I too am one for staying as far out of the way as possible but sometimes if there's weed or snags involved it's just not possible.