Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Carpbell_ll

Mainlines latest offering The Link

See mainline is nearly ready to release their latest bait called the link, it is a fish meal freezer bait and looks a lot like their red fish meal base mix, about time they brought out a rolled fish meal freezer bait. no doubt i will try it at some point, i'm a sucker for a good bit of marketing when it comes to bait. 

The release times of their baits is a bit off though, the Essential Cell came out at the start of summer, but works better in winter time, now a fish meal at the start of winter?

I like the name!!

Fished with them a few months ago, friend had them as prototypes. 

Still blanked, although it was on a my rock hard syndicate water. Stinky but you'd expect that. Mainline all the way for me

I jump between Sticky and Mainline, love the krill sticky do, it's all i use of theirs, Mainlines New Grange is a very unsung bait, i think it got over shadowed by by all the hype around the Cell. 

Used to use a Antarctic Krill boilie back in the mid 90s, don't know who made them though, got them off a bloke that was moving over to Barbel fishing and sold me his carp gear and a load of bait he had in his freezer, when i asked around after them, i was told they had to stop making them due to a Krill shortage? 

Mainline freezer baits do have a spongey feel and bounce, i find it a bit off putting myself as it also comes across as a lack of texture through out the bait, I know their essential fish and red fish base mix is used by a lot of the carp match anglers that use mainline, their red fish mix stands out a mile from their retail freezer baits.

A decent fish-meal (which IMO is the corner stone of any decent bait firm) is the one thing that Mainline have always lacked.

I'm pretty sure most of their recipes so far are 90% identical with slight modifications to the powder/liquid attractor package, that's why they all have that same texture. It'll be interesting to see what this new one's like.

Whatever we think about Mainline's bait, it is a fact that carp like to eat it and it's a fact that it's caught all of the hardest carp there is to catch.

I don't use it because of the price, there'a as good or better baits out there for significantly cheaper (IMO), but we all know it's a very good catcher of carp.

Is this why my local tackle dealer is selli g off its older stock...

5kg of any mainline (not cell) for £29.99

And he has filled a full wall of 'Sticky'

I love the Banoffe and Candy Nut Crunch(very similar to Sticky Manilla).

11 hours ago, Highy said:

Is this why my local tackle dealer is selli g off its older stock...

5kg of any mainline (not cell) for £29.99

And he has filled a full wall of 'Sticky'

I love the Banoffe and Candy Nut Crunch(very similar to Sticky Manilla).

Few of the anglers on the water i fish rate stickies manilla, might give it a go myself when i next get out. 

Tried this season with a mate Mainline Hybrid for a change over the Crayfish and Garlic by Shoreline we have been using for the past few years .

We are having some really great results on it , really great.

Bait is only as expensive as the lack off effort you put in to source it though.

Our bailiff has put me on to Active Bait Solutions.

I know that the Malarky has always been well regarded, but I'm looking at the Maple Cream Nut.

Local tackle shop are stockists and we have a tie in with them where we can get it for £6.00 a kilo (10kgs or more) which seems a bit of a bargain for such a well respected bait.

Just waiting for some freezer space to appear

:D

Edited by smufter

1 hour ago, smufter said:

I know that the Malarky has always been well regarded, but I'm looking at the Maple Cream Nut.

Both really, really good baits mate.

Smufter you chop and change baits like no one I've ever met! I'd struggle for confidence doing that, bait is the one thing you should have absolutely zero concerns with.

Between the Malarky and the MC Nut you have baits that will catch fish on any water at any time of year. You should stick with them a while mate, it's not possible to really get something going when you're chopping and changing IMO.

I am going to stick with these Yonny. Just been looking for a decent "nutty" bait for my water as apparently the fish prefer it. Bailiff uses ABS Maple Cream Nut and suggested going on to it. I appreciate what you are saying mate. and I have been chopping and changing a bit recently, just trying to find something that will give me an edge.

Edited by smufter

4 minutes ago, smufter said:

just trying to find something that will give me an edge.

You'll not find an 'edge' with any off-the-shelf baits buddy, but with the ABS you defo have a bait that catches carp! Good luck mate.

On 9/15/2017 at 10:21, yonny said:

You'll not find an 'edge' with any off-the-shelf baits buddy, but with the ABS you defo have a bait that catches carp! Good luck mate.

That's what I'd heard mate. As I say, our water has a tie in with a local tackle shop that will supply ABS baits at £6.00 a kilo for orders of 10kg or more. I'm just waiting for some freezer space to become available and will pop down and arm myself with some MC Nut. I'll stick with this one, promise!!

On 15 September 2017 at 10:21, yonny said:

I may disagree slightly with Yonny, but not in a negative sense. You may get an edge if you are first onto a new bait, and can introduce enough for it to be 'the first thing the fish find'.

My next point, is totally in agreement with the above in that when Trigga was released and I went onto Earith, I was putting a couple of tweaks into the bait I was making from the normal base mix. It may only have been adding Liver Elite, Sweet Cajouser and GLM extract to it, but it did prove more of a draw than the off the shelf version.

Mainline baits have not had a proper main class fishmeal for ages, although some have got fishmeal in, although I can't remember off the top of my head which ones have according to the ingredients lists.

Most of their baits I think rely on Yeast as the attractor, then with the main 'smell', Cell being coconut.

I have noticed that all Mainlines baits ingredients have been very finely liquidised or ground, this does make for a soft bait that breaks down quickly. 

2 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I may disagree slightly with Yonny, but not in a negative sense. You may get an edge if you are first onto a new bait, and can introduce enough for it to be 'the first thing the fish find'.

My biggest problem is not being able to get to the lake as often as I'd like, maybe once a fortnight or so, and then it's only for short sessions (either 12, or 24 if I'm really lucky).

Most (not all) of the lads that fish there are using ABS MC Nut due to the tie up with the local shop and it seems to be the "going" bat I'm finding out.

I've got a few different good quality nutty baits in the freezer, as I say I'll persevere with those until I get enough space free to be able to stock up with the ABS.

1 minute ago, smufter said:

My biggest problem is not being able to get to the lake as often as I'd like, maybe once a fortnight or so, and then it's only for short sessions (either 12, or 24 if I'm really lucky).

Most (not all) of the lads that fish there are using ABS MC Nut due to the tie up with the local shop and it seems to be the "going" bat I'm finding out.

I've got a few different good quality nutty baits in the freezer, as I say I'll persevere with those until I get enough space free to be able to stock up with the ABS.

There in lies the answer, it's the going bait because everyone is using it so it's going to catch the majority of fish. I've mentioned before I know your water and am friends with a couple of members, one uses nothing but mainline shelf life banoffee and catches from there, I think we sometimes put too much emphasis on bait. I'd be tempted to go with the singles approach or small pva bags just trying to by a bite and maybe repositioning every hour or so fishing for a bite at a time 

6 minutes ago, David_gravesend said:

I'd be tempted to go with the singles approach or small pva bags just trying to by a bite and maybe repositioning every hour or so fishing for a bite at a time 

I'm fishing singles Dave, maybe with a stringer of 4 or 5 sometimes, but usually just a single with a few "cattied" around just for good measure.

Definitely not guilty of over baiting mate.

I'm learning a little bit more each time I visit, Steve the Bailiff is very helpful and is a desperate as I am for me to catch a fish lol!!

It's a tricky lake, that's for sure and the fish don't give themselves up easily. 

But I can't think of a nicer place to blank!

WCott.jpg

25 minutes ago, greekskii said:

If MC nut is the going bait then it may be worth ordering direct from ABS and having it tweaked slightly to your advantage. What @salokcinnodrog did with the trigga. Take an established bait and make it better. You may find you catch more fish. 

Tweak it in what way????

3 hours ago, smufter said:

Tweak it in what way????

Buy some base mix and roll your own with a personal touch. I think the only way you can have a real edge, bait wise, be that psychological or actual, is to be the only guy on a lake using a particular bait... Trouble is you need to take time rolling and also regular visits to get some in the lake between sessions.... But when you do, it comes together... I'm inclined to think that it's the regular short bait up trips that really give you an edge. As much as, if not more, than the bait that's going in... You just get more tuned in.

The guys at ABS will point you in the right direction as what will suit the bait. 

I don't know the bait but maybe having it darkened? Higher level of some nut meals will do that naturally. Lower the maple cream and add a hint of toffee or caramel? Maybe up the salt content? 

Plenty of options. 

A mate has just got the link. Sposed to be a brown colour, slightly tweeked from the red we were trying a few months ago.

Biggest problem is getting to the bank to give it a go?????

On 9/17/2017 at 06:36, salokcinnodrog said:

You may get an edge if you are first onto a new bait, and can introduce enough for it to be 'the first thing the fish find'.

Yes, I do agree with that Nick, but you really have to commit to get that working.

On 9/17/2017 at 06:45, smufter said:

That's my problem too mate, 2 nights in every 14 just isn't enough to get my bait established properly, although I do make sure there's plenty put in before I go home.

20 hours ago, greekskii said:

The guys at ABS will point you in the right direction as what will suit the bait. 

Yes they will. They will roll specials for you too, they make it very easy. My mate was using the MC Nut for a season with added scopex, he smashed the place on it. ABS recommend their own tweaks or you can tell them your own and they'll make it up for you. Great firm.