Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
frogy

Pigeon Conditioner

Hi guys, what is the best way to prepare pigeon conditioner please? Some people tell me to soak for 24hrs then boil but others say they use the cool box trick for 24hrs. Also i've been told to add molasses, how much would you put say for every kg of conditioner and at what point?

Thanks.

57 minutes ago, frogy said:

best

Best????? They all work for some, soak and then boil first as it's easiest and less prone to error if you're not sure.

Molasses: I doubt many measure, so a slug would be my best guess; start simply though is my advice so leave it out.

18 hours ago, frogy said:

Hi guys, what is the best way to prepare pigeon conditioner please? Some people tell me to soak for 24hrs then boil but others say they use the cool box trick for 24hrs. Also i've been told to add molasses, how much would you put say for every kg of conditioner and at what point?

Thanks.

Pigeon Conditioner is all small seeds, so does not need boiling per se.

I pour boiling water over the pigeon conditioner, in a bucket,  enough to cover it with a few centimetres of spare water and seal the bucket lid. After a couple of hours I check, in case I need to add some more water. 

Two ways to add molasses, and as Ianain says, what is a measure?

I sometimes leave a slug or layer on the bottom of the bucket, then pour the pigeon conditioner on top, then do the water, or sometimes I soak the pigeon conditioner, then with extra water I pour molasses in to the bucket. 

I've have been using a mixture of red band and vitalin this season to help keep the spots in the weed clear that i have raked/fished.

Similar to Nick, i put the red band in a cool box and cover with boiling water and then chuck the lid on. I add a small amount of sea salt and chilli flakes when i pour the water over the mix (not sure why really but must of read it somewhere). I do this 48 hrs before i want to use it.

I'm not sure about the molasses. I've never added anything but the salt and flakes, as i've always wanted the aniseed smell to come through from the pigeon mix.