Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
smufter

What is your biggest "off putter" now that Autum is here.....

I'm not a great lover of fishing in the wind. Anything above about 10mph annoys me, I really do prefer flat calm days.

But my biggest "bugbear" now that Autumn is here is leaves. My lake is surrounded by trees. This time of year, when we tend to get high winds, you can guarantee that the next time I visit the lake it is going to be literally covered with dead leaves which have blown off the trees.

They really annoy me. It's pot luck if you can get your line to sink properly, and you end up with a trail of them attached to your line where it enters the water, slightest bit of breeze then and your alarms are beeping like crazy.

Simple thing, but really (really) bugs me.

21 minutes ago, smufter said:

I'm not a great lover of fishing in the wind. Anything above about 10mph annoys me, I really do prefer flat calm days.

I'm the complete opposite mate. I struggle to get excited when it's flat calm, no good for bites IMO. Give me a belting south westerly any day of the week.

5 minutes ago, Highy said:

Sun..rain..sun..rain..wind..rain..sun..snow.....on off conditions all the time.

In fairness I love it regardless of conditions. Everyone loves to watch them milling about on top in high temps with no wind but there's also something special about being tucked up in the brolly watching nature throw it's worst at you!

Doesn't have to be blisteringly hot for me. Don't mind overcast, don't mind rain. Just don't like the wind too much. But dead leaves floating everywhere really get on my wick

Autumn is my fave season of the year. As yonny said, sitting back and watching the leaves falling, the wind, the rain. Cant beat it. 

For me its the getting colder part of it, having to wear more layers, taking more clothes in case you get wet or too cold. But that's just because it makes my barrow heavier... Oh and taking more water for more tea! my kettle is almost always constantly on!

25 minutes ago, greekskii said:

sitting back and watching the leaves falling, the wind, the rain. Cant beat it.

100%. Nothing better than holding on to your hat with the rods in the zone watching mother nature having a pop at us! Gets me excited just thinking about it!

crunching through the fallen leaves on the way to your swim is the best sound. Bivvy wet and covered in hues of orange as the leaves fall over it. Cold, misty morning. Vegetation dying back both in the water and on the banks, potentially uncovering a spot or line angle previously out of the question. YES PLEASE.

I'd like to change my annoyance please. BIRDLIFE! All those overwintering birds starting to arrive. luckily not on a pit this year so doubt I'll have the tufties arriving in squadrons but I've had them before and will again. Bloomin things!

19 minutes ago, phil dalts said:

Waking up to a frost is amazing.

Agree, there's nothing quite as comfy as being wrapped up in the bag with just your nose and eyes poking out as the sun comes up on a freezing cold winters morning. When you know the only thing that you need to move for is a cuppa or the rod ripping off!

9 minutes ago, greekskii said:

BIRDLIFE!

Touche.... Just last year I jumped out of the bag in a T-shirt in minus 2 degrees to hit a blooming coot on a zig....... I let them off though, they normally give you more action than the carp do lol......

I'm with Phil Dalts here I love Autumn / Winter fishing. BUT...........I hate putting the bivvy into the car wet. Which inevitably happens sooner or later, oh and finding that your gas pressure has dropped to almost zero due to the cold.

Which reminds me I need to dig out that big red bottle and get it filled before I get caught out again.

BOF  :wink:

My biggest gripe has to be putting away wet gear.

When I was fishing Earith in the winter my Apotheosis bivvy was constantly damp and smelt of mould every week. I had no room to dry it out at home, so it was going away damp, and being set up still damp.:shock::o

Don't get me wrong, I live and love fishing, but wet muddy gear...

12 hours ago, Highy said:

That will be me this friday...doing 48hrs on a lake ive not been to with a friend from work for my 30th Birthday...doing Saturday to Monday..

Enjoy mate,

You'll be alright this weekend it's a good forecast.:D

23 hours ago, smufter said:

Jeez, you wouldn't have liked it last night them smufter, winds up to 75 mph!!!

Yeah it's been rattling around all night. Deffo wouldn't have been out last night.

I'm planning a trip out next Tuesday with my daughter. Looking at the forecasts, 1st thing I look for is the wind speed

As I say Yonny, don't mind the rain. I actually prefer fishing in it, as long as it is coming straight down!

1 minute ago, yonny said:

Jeez, you wouldn't have liked it last night them smufter, winds up to 75 mph!!!

Had a few of those nights, played fish holding onto the dogs and bivvy, had the wind come up so strong it turned the bivvy inside out and ripped it out the ground.

On 12/09/2017 at 08:16, smufter said:

This could explain a lot of your blanks mate.... for me the the bigger the gale the better the fishing . When the waves start rolling in on a big water my confidence goes up massively. 

Autumn is great. Had a walk round tonight to plop 1lb of bait in and not a soul on the lake. Not sure why that was, perhaps they've used up all the brownie points lately...... Wind hacking down one end, dead fall littering the banks, clumps of weed broken up and blown to one end. Planning a couple of nights next week around the new moon. Hoping the banks will be just as bare. You've just got to love the Autumn, it's like a fresh page in a book. Lets hope the fish play ball this year..... Last season the long awaited Autumn munch was over in the blink of an eye by the end of September on this lake.