Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Gareth

Cheating at Fishing

Hi everyone. I'm Gaz from Coventry. I've always loved fishing but to be honest, the extent of my skills extend to setting up a float rod and bagging up on roach and bream in the canal using the methods my dad taught me 35 years ago. 

Ive been out with a couple of friends who are seriously carpy and ive caught a few bangers. Problem is, they always set me up and I never seem to learn anything. 

I want to learn the skills to be able to tie a rig myself and go out on my own and have a decent stab at it. 

Looking forward to browsing the site, thanks for having me. 

Welcome to Carp.com.

Its nice to put your mates on good fish, so respect to your friends for their generosity.

To be honest, rig tying is as simple as you want it to be; a hook knotless knotted on, with a hair rig and loop at the end, and at the other, either a quick link or a (size 8 ) swivel, to tie it to your mainline. On the mainline side either a horrible lead clip thingy, or better a run ring and a bead, with your lead on that.

Then simply find the fish, or draw them in and cast, either quietly not to disturb them, or to wait for them to come in.

Sounds simple, but there are so many ways to do the same thing, and we are all different.

There is a few Coventry anglers on here 8) you will learn plenty of new tricks on this site the members ain't shy with their info. Once you get the hang of a knotless hair rig and the palomar knot you will pretty much be up and running, both are real easy. 

For tying rigs, "You Tube" is your friend. Lots and lots of useful information on there.

When I first started, the thought of tying a knotless knot filled me with dread, despite having been a coarse fisherman for donkey's years. It was a foreign language!!

But I watched a few vids and soon got the hang of it. Showed my daughter Lydia how to tie one, within 10 minutes she was tying her own like a boss!

Stick with the basics. Take no notice of all these "wonder rigs"... THAT'S where it gets confusing.

A simple running rig will catch you plenty of fish (providing they are there in the first place!).

Two knots worth learning are the aforementioned Palomar knot, or the tucked half blood. I tend to use the latter and have never had one let me down.

Any questions, ask away. We are one of the friendliest bunches of people on the internet.

I thought the Korda site really good for articles and instructions on Rigs. You dont have to use their kit. Dont get to caught up in going all "carpy", a flat method feeder rig has bagged me loads of carp up to 25lb. Have a look at what Harry Pratt was doing on "Carp Wars", might help your tranistion more whilst making you feel more comfortable.

14 hours ago, Gareth said:

I want to learn the skills to be able to tie a rig myself and go out on my own and have a decent stab at it. 

Do it mate, not difficult once you know how. You'll get any help and advice you need on here.

You'll get to the point you'll have fine-tuned your rigs so well you'll not believe you ever trusted anyone else's!

Worth learning how to tie the hinged stiff rig.... with different materials for the boom section it can be adapted to fish almost any fishable substrate and in terms of rig mechanics it's right up there with the most effective of all IMO.

Rigs are really easy to tie mate. There is no need whatsoever to get complicated jingle jangle on there in my opinion. Pick gear you like, do your own thing and stick with it. Don't listen to too much input and advice is my advice. Just think of them as overgrown maniac bream and bulk everything up accordingly. Nice bit of coated braid, sinker, sharp hook, and Roberts yer Fathers Brother

Welcome to the forum Gareth. Best advice, as mentioned is to keep it simple mate. You'll catch more fish by using watercraft to locate them, something that can't be bought in a jar. and something that comes over time.... Simple knotless knot rig for bottom baits or multi rig for pop ups are pretty easy to start with....... Don't worry about blanking, it's all pert of it. Try and learn something from each session and by this time next year, you'll be as confused as the rest of us..