Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Richard713

Solid Bags

Recommended Posts

Looking to start using solid pva bags. I've only ever used lead clip systems however so I'm just wondering what bits and pieces will be best for getting me started. I realise I'll need an inline lead along with some kind of leader. Ready tied leader or self made etc. I know I'll need a supple hooklink. Just looking for some help and pointers so I buy the correct end tackle really. 

I've only really got knowledge of lead clip systems and rig tubing, a bit lost when it comes to leaders etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Richard713 said:

Looking to start using solid pva bags. I've only ever used lead clip systems however so I'm just wondering what bits and pieces will be best for getting me started. I realise I'll need an inline lead along with some kind of leader. Ready tied leader or self made etc. I know I'll need a supple hooklink. Just looking for some help and pointers so I buy the correct end tackle really. 

I've only really got knowledge of lead clip systems and rig tubing, a bit lost when it comes to leaders etc.

You don't have to use an inline lead, honest:wink:

 

I use run rings, with solid bags, and no leaders, although braid or coated braid hooklinks do help.

 

Lead clips with solid bags can discharge the lead, but run rings don't.

 

Hookbait in bottom corner, put freebies in bag, then hooklink, more free pellets, then lead. Lick and twist around mainline or tubing if you use it.

 

Try this :

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus Rich its like you read my mind! I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday. after looking at some videos and some articles, You can do with with a lead clip no problem, the problem you face is that you cant pre make the bags unless you have some sort of loop to loop knot. Not a massive issue really unless your like me and only fish after work through the night before going back to work. I made 2 bags and they are already on my rods (rods are marked up as i know where im fishing) so i can just chuck them when i arrive, Then will just use mesh for the rest of the night should i catch.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A question for the solid bag users; does it bother you that when you get done by mr carp (which IMO happens a hell of a lot) your original presentation is lost? I've used and caught on bags many times over the years but IMO once a pick-up is attempted and the carp aint hooked you're basically praying that the soft braided hook link is still presented as intended?

It's really turned me off bags with pretty much any bait other than those you know the carp will nail themselves first time (maggots and worms etc....).

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, yonny said:

A question for the solid bag users; does it bother you that when you get done by mr carp (which IMO happens a hell of a lot) your original presentation is lost? I've used and caught on bags many times over the years but IMO once a pick-up is attempted and the carp aint hooked you're basically praying that the soft braided hook link is still presented as intended?

It's really turned me off bags with pretty much any bait other than those you know the carp will nail themselves first time (maggots and worms etc....).

Not really for me, simple reason being I have seem silver fish move the rig, the hook and bait away from the contents of the bag. If I have got the whole feeding situation and baited area right the boilie is picked up as 'oops I missed one'. 

I normally fish a whole bag as over a baited area, not usually  on its own.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, yonny said:

A question for the solid bag users; does it bother you that when you get done by mr carp (which IMO happens a hell of a lot) your original presentation is lost? I've used and caught on bags many times over the years but IMO once a pick-up is attempted and the carp aint hooked you're basically praying that the soft braided hook link is still presented as intended?

It's really turned me off bags with pretty much any bait other than those you know the carp will nail themselves first time (maggots and worms etc....).

I use solid bags but have never liked the idea of putting the lead and all in the bag, i use a combi rig so getting that in a bag probably wouldn't happen, what i do is fill the bag with bolie crumb and a squirt of liquid, then close it tight making the shape of the bag similar to an icing bag. Thread the rig through and attach to the lead, works well once you get used to casting it, you will never get the long distance as a traditional solid bag rig, but i prefer it and it gives a lovely presentation of the rig, don't like the PVA netting for a stick mix.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm more worried about the way the rig sits after it's been moved rather than whether it's still with the bait from the bag guys.

12 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I have seem silver fish move the rig

All the more reason to be concerned IMO.

11 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

it gives a lovely presentation of the rig

See I think if a decent carp even swims past the rig the resulting water displacement will mean that presentation will be lost?

I guess what I'm saying is I struggle to stay confident using rigs with no re-setting properties. I've tried stiffer materials in bags but they just tend to kink up and look a bit pants.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, yonny said:

I'm more worried about the way the rig sits after it's been moved rather than whether it's still with the bait from the bag guys.

All the more reason to be concerned IMO.

See I think if a decent carp even swims past the rig the resulting water displacement will mean that presentation will be lost?

I guess what I'm saying is I struggle to stay confident using rigs with no re-setting properties. I've tried stiffer materials in bags but they just tend to kink up and look a bit pants.

To me that is what the hair rig is for, to allow the bait to be sucked in, it has reset itself. I try to make my hairs so that the hair won't tangle on being moved.

A braided hooklink can be fished tight (although why would you intentionally pull back to straighten it?), slack, coiled or loose. If the bait is moved, as it is sucked in, the hooklink being braided, it can turn round on the bait being taken in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna give em a go 2moz on my local lake got some NGT 80x100 mm long ones.....BUT found out last night ..even thought its only 5min drive..he has gutted his old match pond knocked through to his speci and made it massive specimen pond...introduced catfish n sturgeon..

Carp to 30lb

Cats to 60lb

Sturgeon 25lb+

I want the carp but not so sure on the other 2 creatures ??

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Highy said:

Gonna give em a go 2moz on my local lake got some NGT 80x100 mm long ones.....BUT found out last night ..even thought its only 5min drive..he has gutted his old match pond knocked through to his speci and made it massive specimen pond...introduced catfish n sturgeon..

Carp to 30lb

Cats to 60lb

Sturgeon 25lb+

I want the carp but not so sure on the other 2 creatures ??

Might find the carp go quite now the cats have been introduced, Thats what i have found on waters. I have caught a cat on carp gear, Loved it mate. I will do some proper cat fishing at some point so dont worry! Just pack some forceps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, yonny said:

Interesting, how do you go about doing that Nick?

Shrink tube continued down the shank, and not stripping the coating off the braid on the hair apart from a small hinge where it leaves the hook

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/09/2017 at 11:07, Big Common said:

If you ram the swivel right in it can lock up. I don't use in lines much these days. But when I do, I'm looking for an instant bolt effect, so a tight swivel doesn't bother me. If you want some movement on the lead end of the rig, then a ring swivel is one option you can try.

I've just bought some fox inline leads and korda ring swivels. I can push the swivel into the online lead but it is rather tight. I'm just concern it might not be safe ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Big Common said:

You can always pinch the swivel eye with some forceps, just a tad to make it slightly oval in shape. Or if you are dropping the lead and your leader is running on the outside of the lead to a tail rubber you can trim the thin end of the tail rubber, and take a bit off the insert before you slide it on and don't push it right up tight..... TBH I dislike tail rubbers and opt for a softer silicon sleeve which makes it easier for the lead to dislodge. If you don't have any, then trim the tail rubber right down so about 5mm of the thicker end is left. A quick head shake, should see this dislodge the lead easily. Be careful to cast accurately or you'll lose a few leads. Doesn't hurt to double bag it on a tricky cast, will give you a bit more time if you need to retrieve and recast.

Thanks for the advice. 

What's your thoughts on the below images. I've taken out the hard plastic sleeve supplied with the lead and used a korda tail rubber which seems to fit perfectly inside the lead with the swivel in the end. Not sure if this is something anyone else has tried? When I put my rig on the swivel and shake it a little the lead pulls away do not does seem alot safer than the hard plastic supplied with the lead. 

20170916_152013.jpg

20170916_152035.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/09/2017 at 00:17, Richard713 said:

Looking to start using solid pva bags. I've only ever used lead clip systems however so I'm just wondering what bits and pieces will be best for getting me started. I realise I'll need an inline lead along with some kind of leader. Ready tied leader or self made etc. I know I'll need a supple hooklink. Just looking for some help and pointers so I buy the correct end tackle really. 

I've only really got knowledge of lead clip systems and rig tubing, a bit lost when it comes to leaders etc.

I've fished these for yrs and have great faith in them   start with a safezone leader from korda cut the ring off the end so you just have the swivel 2 1/2oz drop off lead push the swivel into the end off the lead run the leader over the outside of the lead I use a bit of rubber sleeve over the back part of the inline lead I find it holds it perfect but on a take it drops the lead as soon as mr carp trays any funny business.   Tie up a 3inch hooking with 20lb braid size 4 wide gaps fang or crank an jobs a good un    hope this helps    use a ground bait in the bag you can flavour it loads of attraction only food is your boilie or what your using

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/09/2017 at 19:01, Richard713 said:

Thanks for the advice. 

What's your thoughts on the below images. I've taken out the hard plastic sleeve supplied with the lead and used a korda tail rubber which seems to fit perfectly inside the lead with the swivel in the end. Not sure if this is something anyone else has tried? When I put my rig on the swivel and shake it a little the lead pulls away do not does seem alot safer than the hard plastic supplied with the lead. 

20170916_152013.jpg

20170916_152035.jpg

That’s exactly how I set mine up it’s a good system 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/09/2017 at 19:01, Richard713 said:

Thanks for the advice. 

What's your thoughts on the below images. I've taken out the hard plastic sleeve supplied with the lead and used a korda tail rubber which seems to fit perfectly inside the lead with the swivel in the end. Not sure if this is something anyone else has tried? When I put my rig on the swivel and shake it a little the lead pulls away do not does seem alot safer than the hard plastic supplied with the lead. 

20170916_152013.jpg

20170916_152035.jpg

I like the look of that, I'm gonna give that a go with the tail rubber in place of the supplied hard plastic.

I've just started trying out solid bags, I'm making them using the Fox Rapide system, its a bit fiddly but pleased with the results.

What's the optimum length of rig to use in a bag? 3 - 5" about right?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Absolute Bobbins said:

I like the look of that, I'm gonna give that a go with the tail rubber in place of the supplied hard plastic.

I've just started trying out solid bags, I'm making them using the Fox Rapide system, its a bit fiddly but pleased with the results.

What's the optimum length of rig to use in a bag? 3 - 5" about right?

 

I’ve used a 3-5inch but have also used a 3inch pully rig to good effect 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...