Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Kwoui

New to the forum and new to carp fishing

Hi everyone, Thought I'd introduce mysel!

I've been fishing on and off for a few years, at the start it was mostly for pike/bass/walleye using lures but this year I moved to stale line fishing with nightcrawlers. I caught pretty much every fish I can in the river close to me and carp is the only specie left. Seeing my friend catch one made me want to get in on the action, besides sturgeon they are probably the best fish to "fight" around here.

I just got myself a method feeder ( unfortunatly its not the one I see most people using, the only thing I could find in all the shops around here was a "spring" with a sliding weight inside it similar to the image bellow)  CCC_Black_Lead_Spring_Feeder_Large.jpg

Hopefully it still does the job.

I have a small question for your experienced carp angles. Is fishing with pack bait ( oatmeal/cream corn/strawberry mix) useless in a river with heavy current? I worry that my pack bait just gets taken away by the current and nulls the effect of the method feeder.

Thank you for your help

Edited by Kwoui

Welcome to Carp.com

Buzzbomb is your American fishing afficionado, so for fishing in North America he is the person to ask.

Your pack bait is effectively what we in UK call groundbait, so as it drifts down in the current it may be useful in drawing fish up.

The current on the riverbed is a lot slower than the surface, so it may wash some down. You don't want too light ingredients in your mix, and the method feeder will still attract fish. In fact, the drift will work in your favour I think

12 hours ago, Kwoui said:

I've been fishing on and off for a few years, at the start it was mostly for pike/bass/walleye using lures but this year I moved to stale line fishing with nightcrawlers. I caught pretty much every fish I can in the river close to me and carp is the only specie left. Seeing my friend catch one made me want to get in on the action, besides sturgeon they are probably the best fish to "fight" around here.

I just got myself a method feeder ( unfortunatly its not the one I see most people using, the only thing I could find in all the shops around here was a "spring" with a sliding weight inside it similar to the image bellow)  CCC_Black_Lead_Spring_Feeder_Large.jpg

I have a small question for your experienced carp angles. Is fishing with pack bait ( oatmeal/cream corn/strawberry mix) useless in a river with heavy current? I worry that my pack bait just gets taken away by the current and nulls the effect of the method feeder.

Thank you for your help

hi Kwoui and welcome,

our style carp tackle is as rare as hens teeth over there but if you look at Ebay uk you can find all the pukka gear and at the right price too.

this is the style that is widely used over here and at ten for £9.99 or if you prefer $13.34c.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-X-MOD-INLINE-CAGE-METHOD-FEEDERS-FOR-MATCH-CARP-FISHING-/162548643449?var=&hash=item25d8a77679:m:mFy7ZKKpEdixKExS_zBdQPQ

happy carping :lol:

14 hours ago, Kwoui said:

Thank you for your help

I think you can just mix your pack so it doesn't break down as fast, and maybe try one of the method cages with little holes in it so you don't lose it all right away. https://www.bigcarptackle.com/tackle/leads/method-feeders?SID=qro05ivjqfvr5g602td0aqbse3   

If you have a pill bottle and a drill you could make one pretty easily.

My thinking on current is that having a cone of bait and scent dispersing down-river from your pack or feeder is a good thing because there may be cautious fish picking up loose particles drifting down, and then working their way upstream to your hookbait.