Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Kwoui

How much to chum?

Recommended Posts

I just bought myself 50 pounds of field corn to chum and I was wondering how much do I chum away? Do I take my slingshot and shoot 4-5 times or even more? How often during my fishing session should I re-chum the area? Should I chum every cast I make?

I've seen a lot of video/tutorial on how to make chum... but no one really explains how to use it properly. 

Thanks for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, carpmachine said:

Well, seeing as you are asking about chumming, you must be in the States, from what i have heard from your countrymen, you have loads of carp in your waters. Put a couple of bucketfulls ln and fish it the following day, feeding a couple of pound a cast.

I'm actually from canada.  UK part of the forum seems to be the only active one hence why I post here. You do make me notice, most video I see using chumming as a technique are from US folks, is chumming illegal in the UK?

Edited by Kwoui

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kwoui said:

I'm actually from canada.  UK part of the forum seems to be the only active one hence why I post here. You do make me notice, most video I see using chumming as a technique are from US folks, is chumming illegal in the UK?

Chumming is definitely a North American term; groundbaiting or prebaiting are definitely the UK terms.

 

You can basically bait up at the start of the session, then gauge how much is in there by fish takes, and top up as it runs out.

 

The thing is your river carp fishing is very different from the lake fishing. Do they turn up at a particular time, or do they just patrol up and down the length. 

It may be worth prebaiting a spot for a few days before you fish it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As above, but will add - the fish eat more in warmer weather and less when it's colder.

Introducing large amounts of bait in one go can lead to the fish spooking, so be prepared to put some in and wait for them to return.

Finding the balance where they get their heads down is part of the fun. This time of year (September), the fish will be looking to put some weight on to survive the Winter.

We have an adage here that says - you can put more in, but you can't take it out. It doesn't always help though when you're just starting out when trying to gauge how much to put in to begin with (handful - bucketful :confused:); but it is a learning curve, maybe pick a few swims and try differing amounts in each and watch what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

Kwoui, where in Canada are you?  

I'm from Montreal, Quebec.

 

5 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Chumming is definitely a North American term; groundbaiting or prebaiting are definitely the UK terms.

 

You can basically bait up at the start of the session, then gauge how much is in there by fish takes, and top up as it runs out.

 

The thing is your river carp fishing is very different from the lake fishing. Do they turn up at a particular time, or do they just patrol up and down the length. 

It may be worth prebaiting a spot for a few days before you fish it.

Well I started targeting carps 3 days ago, first 2 days I got skunked and on the 3rd day I landed two and hooked an other 2 that got off the hook unfortunately. Even tho I was not prebaiting, I think just the groundbait I use on my method feeder is starting to bring them in at the time I fish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So because I used the word "chum" instead of ground bait my topic gets moved to here? Doesnt matter where you live, a technique is a technique. Only thing that could change would be the laws, and I know them, I'm not hurting anyone posting in the UK part of the forun. This part of the forum is dead, nobody fish for carp around here. thanks a lot.

Edited by Kwoui

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, carpmachine said:

You are still welcome to join any of the other conversations, it is specific to your area, might get local advice, if you are fishing in Canada.

oh true, I'll get my answer after 1 month since last post on here is actually a month old. I guess I'll wait for the winter to come for my answers then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received a PM from the last USA poster thanking me for the help, if you have a question you can use any part of the forum, bait threads, rigs, or tactics, its just that your specific question related to fishing in an area we could only generalise in, try the other threads, if you dont start them, they wontbe area specific, we have guys from all over the world asking stuff.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, carpmachine said:

I received a PM from the last USA poster thanking me for the help, if you have a question you can use any part of the forum, bait threads, rigs, or tactics, its just that your specific question related to fishing in an area we could only generalise in, try the other threads, if you dont start them, they wontbe area specific, we have guys from all over the world asking stuff.

 

I beg to differ. You keep saying I'm "welcome" to use other parts of the forum. Yet, he only reason anyone knew that question had to do about north america is because I used to word "chum" instead of ground bait. The question isn't specific to my area, its specific to the specie I'm fishing. A specie that not many people fish around here compared to the UK. I guess I'll try finding a north american forum since we are obviously being discriminated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mate if i asked you how to chum in Bangladesh, could you answer, we have members from there but what is relevant and effective on our venues may not work there, if you look at the left hand column down the side, you will see your question in the topics, people will chat with you if they reckon they can help .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kwoui said:

So because I used the word "chum" instead of ground bait my topic gets moved to here? Doesnt matter where you live, a technique is a technique. Only thing that could change would be the laws, and I know them, I'm not hurting anyone posting in the UK part of the forun. This part of the forum is dead, nobody fish for carp around here. thanks a lot.

And they still didn't get it right, your pack-bait isn't groundbait; they don't use pack in England (pack and a puff is a US paylaker system) so it's confusing.  When you soak and cook your corn and toss that out, you'll be putting in groundbait, (pre-baiting or campaigning are good words here).  If you're fishing in the St Lawrence or one of the tributaries and already getting into fish you could be making everyone here jealous in short order.  Find some kind of padded unhooking mat with a smooth surface and a big net so they don't take any damage while visiting land, and make sure you're tackled up with a safe rig that won't leave a fish trailing anything but the rig itself if the line breaks (a running rig or sliding sinker is what I use).  Keep us posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, carpmachine said:

We dont always get it right Buzz, i remember you rapping my knuckles about channel cats, its a different world, i had never heard of channel cats, pity he took offence, love to hear from these distant colleauges, it refreshes my interest in proper fishing.

He'll be fine.  When you start looking stuff up on the internet the results can be literally all over the map.  With pack and a pick-up the only thing that allows the hook to be drawn in is a bead; pack and a puff uses a piece of breakfast cereal to provide the buoyancy.   It's an odd system, but it works down south.  I don't know if Kwoui is using the knotless knot or using anything for hookbait, but he's onto fish in a spot where nobody else is after them and should do well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017/09/15 at 12:12, Kwoui said:

 I've seen a lot of video/tutorial on how to make chum... but no one really explains how to use it properly.

I think it can be different for different rivers depending on size, current, structure, how many fish, etc.  I use one of the big blue enamel canners and fill just under half full with corn, then add water and additives to about 1" below the top, soak 24 hours or at least overnight then bring to a good boil, turn down to medium and let it bubble for 1 hour.  (At that point you should be just able to break it with your fingers, so it will string up on a hair rig easily or fit onto a hook.)  That's going to make about 3/4 of an 18L pail.  If you're fishing close enough to the bank you can throw some out with a scoop or several other methods including a piece of 1.5" abs pipe with a plug in it if you have any laying around, or you can buy or make a spod to throw it out.  The slingshot works, but won't get a lot out.  It's good for putting boilies out, and pretty accurate too.  Sometimes I'll put some in when I arrive and put the rest in a few spots when I leave, to prepare it for the next time, and sometimes I'll make a pail last 2 or 3 trips.  Judging from the success you've had so far I don't think you have to put much in.  I'd try to guess how far upstream to throw the bait so it hits the bottom around your hookbait and spreads down from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you find the fish you never need much bait to get their heads down

A quarter of a kilo will do just fine, often far less

Then top up after takes.. how much you top up depends on how many takes you are getting and how many fish you think there are

There is never any need to throw in vast quantities of bait in my opinion, it often backfires and spooks the fish and kills the swim if you pile it in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ianain said:

How did the match go?

It wasn't a match, just fishing for fun with friends. In the past two weeks I've caught around 15 carps. all between 10-15 pounds. My best night was 4 carps. Most nights I only catch one or two tho ( 3 hour sessions) and I've been skunked a few times. I'd like to catch more but we are there pretty much every night so the fish are probably wary. I plan on finding new spots to fish where I'll be pre-baiting without fishing for a few days then fish that spot and see if I catch more.

 

5 hours ago, Lee Kashan said:

If you find the fish you never need much bait to get their heads down

A quarter of a kilo will do just fine, often far less

Then top up after takes.. how much you top up depends on how many takes you are getting and how many fish you think there are

There is never any need to throw in vast quantities of bait in my opinion, it often backfires and spooks the fish and kills the swim if you pile it in

Thats what I have been told by the clerk at my local fishing store. His explanation was that fishing carps in rivers is different from lakes, in the river the carp never stop moving, you can only slow them down by baiting up an area and then they leave. If you get a run it means they are feeding so add more to slow them down some more.

Edited by Kwoui

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's a river try a heavy pack bait on a heavy feeder and use large heavy pellets as loose feed, not corn

And get your line pinned down at the rod end by a heavy backlead

If using a heavy backlead always make sure your indicators are heavy, but NEVER heavier than the backlead.. This last point is very important or you will get missed runs and dreadful indication

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/09/2017 at 04:06, Kwoui said:

I plan on finding new spots to fish where I'll be pre-baiting without fishing for a few days then fish that spot and see if I catch more.

How's the pre-baiting going?

Have you managed to spy any activity?

How many spots are you baiting up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/09/2017 at 17:11, Kwoui said:

So because I used the word "chum" instead of ground bait my topic gets moved to here? Doesnt matter where you live, a technique is a technique. Only thing that could change would be the laws, and I know them, I'm not hurting anyone posting in the UK part of the forun. This part of the forum is dead, nobody fish for carp around here. thanks a lot.

...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×