Frozen Boilies

frogy

Hi everyone, I've always used shelf life boilies but want to give frozen a go. There's a company near me which do their own baits, you get them fresh in 5kg bags and you have to freeze them yourself so was going to break them down into say 5 x 1kg bags. Anyway to my questions, how long before fishing do you have to take them out of the freezer and how do you 'look after them' during a trip and can you refreeze any unused boilies? Also I've heard of 'air-drying' freezer baits but don't know what that is so if anyone can explain then that would be great.

Thanks.

Personally I will never refreeze boilies, thawing, refreezing, water (ice) expansion and shrink changes the consistency of the bait, changes the protein, vitamins and minerals etc.

The time i get baits out of the freezer is quite literally as i walk out of my door, although some baits can be best 3 days out of freezing as the enzymes kick start the bait. You'll know this, they'll start going sticky, then a white fuzz will appear on them.

Keeping baits during a session, i normally pour them into a bucket, with a handful of rice. The rice just draws in a bit of moisture.

You may find this useful:

like Gordon I never refreeze bait but ill use it the next night towards prebaiting a swim so it never goes to waste

I usually take mine out the freezer 2 hours before pour them into an airdrying bag and hang them up in my shed this way I don't get nasty boilie juice on my boot carpet

and don't worry if when you take them out the freezer and they've gone all mottled and a patchy in colour as this will fade and got back to a normal colour after a short while

I usually take mine out about an hour before I leave for the lake (it's only a shortish drive!).
By the time I get there and am ready to start using them, there's normally enough thaw to have occurred to be able to push a baiting needle through them. If not, just hold a few in your hand for a couple of minutes and you'll be good to go.
Don't worry about them still being a bit frozen if you are firing some out as freebies, they will be completely thawed out after being in the water for 5 minutes.
I have absolutely no problem with re-freezing any unused baits when I get home, as long as I have kept them in the shade and they haven't started "sweating". 
If I am popping them back in the freezer, if I have some "glug" of a similar base mix, I sometimes add a little of this to the bag and give them a shake. The freezing/thawing process will draw this into the baits and give them a bit of a boost for next time.

I'll only refreeze once. Normally they go in at the end of the session or like today, early morning when the lake is empty on my way to work.

I take them out a day before, defrost them in a bucket with some liquid attractor so they draw in it (water soluble one may I add) and then before I leave I coat them in salmon oil. To be honest I've been known to leave them in the bucket for a few days, they go nice and sticky as the enzymes start to work their magic. Dont think I've air dried for a long long time. 

Everyone has their own opinion and method. Best thing is to talk to the bait company and see what they recommend. 

Most shelflifes are absolutely horrible in my opinion unless made fresh without preservatives. I would NEVER use anything whatsoever that has been sitting around for weeks in flash packaging on a shop shelf. All this will change soon enough with new legislation but the fact is that shelf lifes have been far too unregulated for far too many years and are seriously bad news for both fish and the whole ecosystem.

Frozen ALL the way, apart from a few SHORT TERM shelf lifes from a decent company who has been at it for a very long time before all these pretenders came along and egos with their flash marketing

9 hours ago, Lee Kashan said:

Most shelflifes are absolutely horrible in my opinion unless made fresh without preservatives. I would NEVER use anything whatsoever that has been sitting around for weeks in flash packaging on a shop shelf. All this will change soon enough with new legislation but the fact is that shelf lifes have been far too unregulated for far too many years and are seriously bad news for both fish and the whole ecosystem.

Frozen ALL the way, apart from a few SHORT TERM shelf lifes from a decent company who has been at it for a very long time before all these pretenders came along and egos with their flash marketing

OR any short term shelflife using natural preservatives... but you wont find many about

They're out there mate just gotta dig

My bait company uses zero preservatives for shelf lifes

If the topic is of interest to somebody who wants quick access to these baits, Nash stabilized use, I'm informed, zero preservative

I don't trust the rest of the typical tackle shop shelf lifes, might be wrong but that's the way it is. 

48 minutes ago, Lee Kashan said:

They're out there mate just gotta dig

My bait company uses zero preservatives for shelf lifes

If the topic is of interest to somebody who wants quick access to these baits, Nash stabilized use, I'm informed, zero preservative

I don't trust the rest of the typical tackle shop shelf lifes, might be wrong but that's the way it is. 

Nash stabilised. don't make me laugh. The frozen version is active according to them. So how do you stabilise something so active...without any preserves and without changing the bait in any way at all (their claim) Doesn't add up. 

To make a bait shelflife you need to preserve the active ingredients somehow, so if your bait company really doesn't use any preservatives then surely it uses no active ingredients. No fishmeals, nothing that will go off, nothing beneficial to the fish at all.

or do you mean preservatives as in, unnatural preservatives? Because to find a 100% natural preservative for a long term, even short term, shelf life would turn the industry on its head. 

2 minutes ago, greekskii said:

Nash stabilised. don't make me laugh. The frozen version is active according to them. So how do you stabilise something so active...without any preserves and without changing the bait in any way at all (their claim) Doesn't add up. 

To make a bait shelflife you need to preserve the active ingredients somehow, so if your bait company really doesn't use any preservatives then surely it uses no active ingredients. No fishmeals, nothing that will go off, nothing beneficial to the fish at all.

or do you mean preservatives as in, unnatural preservatives? Because to find a 100% natural preservative for a long term, even short term, shelf life would turn the industry on its head. 

just seen on the other thread you use premier baits. Just taken this text from their website about their short term shelf lifes:

"Our Short Term Shelf Life baits are a real advantage for anglers with no freezer space, for trips abroad, and general convenience.

The bait is designed to have a shelf life of between 2 to 3 weeks if kept in a cool & dry place out of the sun. it may last longer but we cannot guarantee it.

With our clever production process, we use a very small amount of preservative, so they retain all the goodness and quality of a freezer bait. They are made with all the same ingredients as our fresh freezer baits, and are just as soluble, digestible, nutritious & attractive.

If you have some bait left over from e.g. a French Trip and it's near the end of it's shelf life, you can freeze it. But be aware that after you've thawed it out, it won't retain any of it's original shelf life.

All of our Short Term Shelf Life Baits are hand made, to ensure they are produced to the highest standard possible. 

Much better than some old shelf life readymade that’s been sat on the tackle shop shelf for a year before you picked it up!"

SO... they do use preservative... unlike your claim above that they use none.

Well maybe I'm wrong, fair enough

But I would rather have my shelf lifes (I only use very minimal amounts) to have a ''very small amount'' of preservative than a lot! 

And this quote is key: The bait is designed to have a shelf life of between 2 to 3 weeks if kept in a cool & dry place out of the sun. it may last longer but we cannot guarantee it.

Some shelf lifes, like they mention further on in the quote, are designed to sit on tackle shop shelves for YEARS

I know which I would prefer, and I believe that some of their baits (they have many) are preservative free

Anyway main thing is I love their freezer bait and have been doing fantastic on it, so I am in no way shy about plugging them (and have no selfish reason to)!

They don't need me to plug them they are one of the old school main suppliers and have a huge loyal following with no need for flash advertising