Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Highy

New Rigs

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

hahaa, no. I thought this one up last year whilst sitting on my bivvy one night. As always, these rigs are out there for yonks before made public. Not claiming I invented it but in my world I hadn't seen it before. Basically a less clutter stiff hinge rig in my opinion. 

Happens a lot I think..... You tweak something to suit your fishing or bait or whatever, next thing, someone publishes something similar.... It always makes me chuckle when someone lays claim to a rig or method, publicly, and gives it a pet name...... There's a bloke somewhere , sitting and using next years latest fad, and has been doing so for 20yrs...lol....... I've always liked the look of that one Greeksi and only ever seen it on here, perhaps Mr Gray is a Carp.com voyeur..lol.

9 minutes ago, Big Common said:

Happens a lot I think..... You tweak something to suit your fishing or bait or whatever, next thing, someone publishes something similar.... It always makes me chuckle when someone lays claim to a rig or method, publicly, and gives it a pet name...... There's a bloke somewhere , sitting and using next years latest fad, and has been doing so for 20yrs...lol....... I've always liked the look of that one Greeksi and only ever seen it on here, perhaps Mr Gray is a Carp.com voyeur..lol.

I think the magazines are good at naming the 'latest' rigs. Kenny Dorsett probably didn't christen his critically balanced rig with the hair leaving the shank after 2 turns the KD rig. I am pretty positive that some mag did the dirt on that one!

Saying that, I'm sure it was Zenon Bojko or Rob Maylin who named the Helicopter rig, on the basis that the rig spun around the mainline, with the bomb on the end of the line, like a helicopter.

I used to be amused that a subject talked about on here, a month later made it into the various magazines, often in Rotary Letters, and some claimed to be original thoughts.

The original CarpWorld rotary's were original, but later magazines...

As said. Everyone makes the tweaks themselves and next thing it's the latest fad. 

The way I knotted my stiff material to braid was different at first. I then saw an article with Adam penning named "multi rig mk2" and now I use the same knot as him! Because it's better and tidier. That article came out early this year. Like January or something. Someone's been doing the stiff multi rig for years and years but never told anyone I bet. 

They all cruise the forums looking for content. Otherwise how are they deciding what to write about? They don't exactly have a suggestion box 

Hardly anything is ever truly new on the rig front. I was using variations of the stiff multi some years ago. In 2012 I had my first 40 on a stiff multi-chod thing that I thought I'd invented, a week later it popped up on the Korda website and shattered my dreams lol....

Same thing happened with what Korda call the mk2 chod (the one with a tiny boom)... I thought I'd invented something special but of course it had been around forever.

I very much doubt there's anything any one of us has come up with that hasn't been done and done again tbh.

Of all the fancy rigs I've come up with I always go back to the HSR. It just ticks all the boxes for me, it does everything.

On 17 October 2017 at 13:10, yonny said:

Hardly anything is ever truly new on the rig front. I was using variations of the stiff multi some years ago. In 2012 I had my first 40 on a stiff multi-chod thing that I thought I'd invented, a week later it popped up on the Korda website and shattered my dreams lol....

Same thing happened with what Korda call the mk2 chod (the one with a tiny boom)... I thought I'd invented something special but of course it had been around forever.

I very much doubt there's anything any one of us has come up with that hasn't been done and done again tbh.

Of all the fancy rigs I've come up with I always go back to the HSR. It just ticks all the boxes for me, it does everything.

My sliding/revolving rig with the rig ring free running up and down the shank, I remember reading something similar in one of Rob Maylins books sometime before 1994. I adapted it to my fishing.

It has the useful addition of being a resetting blowback style rig, able to be taken in even if the rig ring has been blown up to the eye.

When I started using and catching fish on it in 2008, for a short period it made its way into a couple of magazines as newest rig available, but has dropped from fashion again.

I do use various incarnations of Hinged rigs, as Multi rigs, 360, etc. The stiff boom ensures a tidy lay out, and the swivel or ring gives something that putty will stick to.

On my small local, it is the only pop-up rig that works, and I have tried others!