Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Hi guys just a quick question, what are your thoughts about using different freebie boilies to your main hook bait ones? I've heard several different views from people I fish with, some saying they will only use the same and others who say its all food and will get the carp munching in your hook bait area so will use different ones with no problems.

Just wondered what you all think? Thanks. 

I usually use the same hookbait as my free boilies, with an exception of the pop-up when I fish a snowman bait.

It can be that some boilies, if 'overused' may have the carp avoiding, or sucking and blowing them to check very carefully, so a different hookbait may be worthwhile, as I don't think carp can channel thought into avoiding something different, although they may switch to avoiding all  boilies.

What type of bait you are using can be a factor as well; attractor bait, food source etc.

ive fished over premier baits randoms before and its not stopped me catching. sometimes i think it can give you an edge, especially on maybe tricky waters as the baits are all different sizes, shapes and flavours so throwing a lot of confusion to the carp, at least thats how i see it. that said 99% of my fishing is done fishing the same hookbait as my freebies. come to think of it im catching quite well fishing over 2 baits at the moment. my current bait and also my chosen winter bait which im putting in with my fishmeal to get them on it. 

I tend to agree with what emmcee says.

However when you look on YT this sort of quetioning starts to niggle ya!

Check this video out, excellent underwater filming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El2AzwDb2uE

This video shows that the carp are very suspicious to unusual things, which i find odd! - so using the hook bait and bait of the same kind is better than using something different or which pops above the freebies. 

During my session on Sunday I was using ABS MC Nut as my hookbait and firing out a load of different flavoured boilies as freebies. I caught 3 mid doubles during my 5 hours, albeit foul hooked! But all were screaming takes.......

I think it depends on what each bait is offering and stock levels......... A loan fish can pick away at what it needs/likes over a spread of baits, where as imo a group of fish will compete and are more likely to just eat what ever is there before the next mouth does...... No different from using mixed particle really. It wouldn't bother me fishing over a mix of baits, as long as I knew these baits and had an idea of their track records.......... Think most of us have caught using an odd hookbait over something different.

22 minutes ago, Big Common said:

I think it depends on what each bait is offering and stock levels......... A loan fish can pick away at what it needs/likes over a spread of baits, where as imo a group of fish will compete and are more likely to just eat what ever is there before the next mouth does...... No different from using mixed particle really. It wouldn't bother me fishing over a mix of baits, as long as I knew these baits and had an idea of their track records.......... Think most of us have caught using an odd hookbait over something different.

Strangely, on Earith, despite trying various pop-ups as toppers, I could only catch using Trigga. If I fished particles, on most occasions, bream and tench would stop the carp coming into the swim, with one swim being an exception.

The only hookbait I could catch on was my Trigga.

Its actually very likely  that you catch over a different freebie to your hookbait, whatever the angler before you has put in the swim, and you fish on top of it. 

In Big Carp by Tim Paisley, he mentions a session on Waveney D/E lake. He was feeding a certain flavoured bait, but his hookbait was another flavour. The original Guava flavour had been heavily used previously, and carp were wary feeding on it, enough to avoid the hookbait. The new flavour though, with the Guava freebies, was enough to trip up a number of fish.

If you are fishing and feeding a food source bait, on campaign with pre-baiting, in most cases,  you want your hookbait the same as the freebies. That is your food source.

However, attractor baits, you may be relying on attraction only to get interest. I don't think that having in this case the same bait is so important. This is where an overflavoured different bait nay be better.

2 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

flavour had been heavily used previously, and carp were wary feeding on it, enough to avoid the hookbait

A good reason not to use flavours on a decent HNV bait.    

4 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Its actually very likely  that you catch over a different freebie to your hookbait, whatever the angler before you has put in the swim, and you fish on top of it. 

That's  a good point, along with naturals, another form of pre bait.

With that in mind, I guess we are fishing over something different to our hook baits more often than not.

Have absolutely no issues mixing up , it all about getting them feeding & if your like me making your hookbait more irresistible... be it with a stick or high attract pop up or something a little different  . Done well the few times I've been out this year with the boilie & tiger nut approach.  Feeding chops & fishing tigers on the hair, even caught me two 40lb catfish on a session a few months back .

Tbh can't remember the last time I cast out a plain boilie matching the feed :shock: