Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Lumeymorris

Using Leadcore leaders the correct and safely

Recommended Posts

Leadcore leaders not something I use a lot as is banned on many venues. So I don't really no to much about it and how to use it safely. All I know is that it can help keep everything pinned down and that you don't really want to have tight lines when using it as it can effect the way it lays lifting it off the bottom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are loads of leadcore threads around on here, and this is from someone who used to use leadcore.

 

Personally, I think there is no safe way to use leadcore, and despite what you have been told, it does not pin everything down to the bottom. It does not fall into every trough or dip, and if there are any raised stones it will stand out and off the bottom, even if fished slack.

If you have to ask the question, then the simple answer is steer well away from using it. Thing is, there are some who will advocate its use, yet that advice, even printed in the carp magazines IS NOT safe.

 

I spent a lot of time experimenting with it in the water, and on the bank looking to see if it does actually follow the bottom.

Any more than a 6 inch length can lead to tethering, as that is all it takes to wrap around a twig! It MUST NOT be fished any other way than a helicopter set-up, and even with that, any kinks or twists can prevent beads and your rig being ejected. There is a lot of fuss made over a system that drops the lead, yet as I think it, you actually need the lead on for it to be safe so the rig can come off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll join the club, Leadcore has no real advantages. Lead free leaders are available now which are much more supple to keep hidden and offer similar abrasion resistance. 

Im using avid outline fluorocarbon leaders this year and their abrasion resistance is very good too. Been in snags a lot and not even a mark on them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lumeymorris said:

you don't really want to have tight lines when using it as it can effect the way it lays lifting it off the bottom. 

IMO you can fish tighter lines with lead-core without it lifting than you can with any other leader material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Here we go another leadcore is the devil thread :D lol

By the end we will all be using mono straight through and running rigs - signing off!

Running rigs are the best though. Far superior bite detection.

Leadcore isn't the devil. I just believe the alternatives can be used just as effectively. On a river...yes to Leadcore!!

Edited by greekskii

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will use leadcore if i feel i need or want to ie Lake and rules dependant

cant remember the last time i cracked off or got broken up in nearly 40 years of fishing

tbh

if i was that worried i wouldnt throw a hook in the water

just fish as safe as you can with any method and it should be ok and you cant ask for more than that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

I've re read the original post and I still can't see where he asked for alternatives or pros and cons, just advice on how to use it.  But we all know how these threads go 🤣

I should think some are hesitant for fear of being chastised.

Lumey

If your going to use leadcore it' just like any other leader apart from the inner strip of lead. You can loop it either end the same and use any lead set up you desire. But as any leader, keep a close eye, for the lead inner piercing the outer braid, watch the loops don't get clogged, watch for frays and general damage.

If in doubt change it, but that goes for all leaders 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think like many things in life, we make a choice, not everyone will like that choice but it doesn't make anyone wrong. I've used leadcore for years and years and despite my reservations a few years ago, I still use it. I like it, I know how it behaves, I know the pros and cons and made a decision based on that.

It's very easy to be mislead in this game, I suppose nowadays I'm just all about, what ever suits you, unless something is obviously dangerous. The fact is, many of the leadless leaders have a tungsten weave which in most cases just isn't heavy enough to get the presentation I'm looking for. Leadcore does exactly what I want it to do, provides a relatively low lay on the deck and offers superb abrasion resistance.

Maybe I'm just getting old and stuck in my ways, but if it ain't broken, why fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gazlaaar said:

I think like many things in life, we make a choice, not everyone will like that choice but it doesn't make anyone wrong. I've used leadcore for years and years and despite my reservations a few years ago, I still use it. I like it, I know how it behaves, I know the pros and cons and made a decision based on that.

It's very easy to be mislead in this game, I suppose nowadays I'm just all about, what ever suits you, unless something is obviously dangerous. The fact is, many of the leadless leaders have a tungsten weave which in most cases just isn't heavy enough to get the presentation I'm looking for. Leadcore does exactly what I want it to do, provides a relatively low lay on the deck and offers superb abrasion resistance.

Maybe I'm just getting old and stuck in my ways, but if it ain't broken, why fix it.

Thing is I used leadcore for years, with no reservations, until  a lost fish that smashed me up above a leader, think it was 6feet odd from memory, where either the knot broke, or the gravel bar wore through the line. Since then, on that same water, one of the big fish was found dead tethered, attached to leadcore, and I have done numerous experiments, and also found tethered fish myself.

I keep saying if there is any weed or snags, then dump the leader of any kind.

 

15 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

don't think there's many members left on here that use it Gary  & the ones that do replying would be like ground hog day :lol:

 

I agree, it is a bit like groundhog day, but my view is, the more people are aware of the pitfalls and risks, and the more advice given, the less chance of it ending up getting messy.

 

I don't like leadcore loops on the mainline end, can be too big for a bead to go over.

 I did use a needle knot, a mix of the leadcore tightening up on itself, and a Uni knot gripping into leadcore where the end section of lead has been removed. By lighter blobbing the end (while its on the needle), you stop any fraying. I have seen people who didn't blob the end, have the leadcore fray and the line just pulled through, coming free from the leader.

Must admit, I didn't see the question of asking how to use it in the OP, I read it as how it works, or not, so gave my version of why I don't think its safe, which is how I read it.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, yonny said:

Check out Rig Marole Linkteq @Gazlaaar. If you use lead-core you'll be amazed at this stuff!

Looks very supple, I have tried a number of products over the years, avid pin down, solar contour, fox submerge and I just went back to ESP. I do use a helicopter presentation but I use the solar quick change heli swivel, and quite often move the top bead up the leader dependant on what's out in front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lumey

One thing I had forgotten to mention

A breakage near enough always occurs at the back of the knot on the mainline, so keep checking that and immediately above. Run the line through your fingers, you'll feel if there's any damage. I use a simple loop to loop knot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Gazlaaar said:

Looks very supple, I have tried a number of products over the years, avid pin down, solar contour, fox submerge and I just went back to ESP. I do use a helicopter presentation but I use the solar quick change heli swivel, and quite often move the top bead up the leader dependant on what's out in front.

Got the avid it's good stuff, really like the ESP stuff though got loads of that, the rig marole stuff looks pretty amazing 😊

Lots of choice

Edited by kevtaylor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Looks great stuff 

The Linkteq is incredible lads. Miles heavier than lead-core, miles more supple, a genuine and big step forward. Bit hard to splice but you get used to it. You've got to try it, seriously!

9 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

the tubing looks ace to 😊

That's what I use where lead-core is banned (it's what I use down the syndi Kev). Also brilliant, brilliant stuff. I used to HATE tubing but the micro stuff with the steel weaved through it is almost enough to convince me to stick with it full time! In fact if I hadn't found the Linkteq I would have replaced normal lead-core with the tubing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Gazlaaar said:

I should think some are hesitant for fear of being chastised.

Lumey

If your going to use leadcore it' just like any other leader apart from the inner strip of lead. You can loop it either end the same and use any lead set up you desire. But as any leader, keep a close eye, for the lead inner piercing the outer braid, watch the loops don't get clogged, watch for frays and general damage.

If in doubt change it, but that goes for all leaders 

Sorry Gaz,

I really don't think it is safe with 'any lead set up', it is only possibly safe with a helicopter lead, and even then...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any rig/set-up is a potential death rig. The safest set-up is the one that lands the fish.

If a carp gets in the snags, for me it doesn't matter if you're fishing 45 lb lead-core or 15 lb mono, the carp aint gonna snap either of them. You're relying on them to tear the hook out. Simple answer is don't let a fish get in the snags.

The only dangerous thing about most products that are said to be potentially dangerous is the user IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Sorry Gaz,

I really don't think it is safe with 'any lead set up', it is only possibly safe with a helicopter lead, and even then...

That all depends whether you believe on dumping the lead or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gazlaaar said:

That all depends whether you believe on dumping the lead or not.

No Mate, even dumping the lead with leadcore on a pendant or inline set up the trailing leadcore leaves enough weight to prevent the hook being ejected. With no weight on a rig other than the hooklink, or short length of mainline, carp are able to get rid of the hook in the event of a smash up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's your opinion Nick but you push it as fact and you're not always right none of us are.

Saying only 6in of leadcore or less could possibly be safe is taking this to extremes to prove your point, 6 inches of leadcore and a twig - it cracked me up.  Who uses a 6in leader? What purpose would it have? 

Fish ditch rigs all day long with leads and not with leads

So many members hold back on these threads because they all pan out the same- whoever talks the most wins through submission 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×