Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Lumeymorris

Using Leadcore leaders the correct and safely

It's very interesting Nick and I do agree in fish safety first and foremost of course I do.

I cannot remember loosing a fish due to a breakage/fault with the line - I'm generally on 15- 20lb line due to weed growth, the line and the fact that I'm not generally fishing that far out mean I do not crack off either.

I don't snag fish and there are no known snags in my current lakes, but if there were and I did get snapped off i can see where your coming from, I always have.

Been on tubing this year and happy with it, it is probably a bit safer but the fact that 15-20lb line is beneath means that the danger of snagging is still there with a lead clip set up.

We've said before that all setups carry a chance of causing tethering even a feeline.

I'm relying on the line not going fact.  Best thing I can do is use a lighter hooklink - but sometimes it's stronger than the leader and line - that's probably what should be looked at 😊

Edited by kevtaylor

9 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

It's very interesting Nick and I do agree in fish safety first and foremost of course I do.

I cannot remember loosing a fish due to a breakage/fault with the line - I'm generally on 15- 20lb line due to weed growth, the line and the fact that I'm not generally fishing that far out mean I do not crack off either.

I don't snag fish and there are no known snags in my current lakes, but if there were and I did get snapped off i can see where your coming from, I always have.

Been on tubing this year and happy with it, it is probably a bit safer but the fact that 15-20lb line is beneath means that the danger of snagging is still there with a lead clip set up.

We've said before that all setups carry a chance of causing tethering even a feeline.

I'm relying on the line not going fact.  Best thing I can do is use a lighter hooklink - but sometimes it's stronger than the leader and line - that's probably what should be looked at 😊

Crack-offs?

I've had a few, :oops:

Almost definitely trying to give it the biggun; some of the fishing on the lagoons is at long range. That reminds me, I must get some more 3.5oz leads!

I'm not sure if the pics i've put up show the width properly, but its around 300 metres wide I reckon, and to reach the middle running bar is one heck of a chuck, my limit is probably 130 metres and every now and again I mess one up. Not sure whats more embarrassing, the crack-off that goes up into the air, and drops around 20metres in front, or the one you see crash and splash just off the far bank.

Its a weird one, some areas are totally weed free, so you think leader is safe, yet other areas are weed city, especially behind Long Island and South Lagoon. Kind of a 'do you, don't you' conundrum.

Must admit I'm not that keen on leaders to be honest, but with 15lb line (Floroclear) I have been using the clear TFG Lokdown ones (https://www.totalfishinggear.co.uk/buy.cfm/carp-accessories/tf-gear-lok-down-leaders/39/no/59490) on the long chuck rod, one rod with tubing, one naked. The naked rod I have regularly had to snip the end of mainline nearest the swivel, and retie it. The run ring even causes abrasion on the line. Tubing rod gets checked, and doesn't need changing so often, but does occasionally. 

Guess what though, its the rod with the clear Lokdown leader that has produced the most fish. I do set that up with a run ring and a large rubber bead to stop the lead and run ring sliding down the hooklink swivel. The mainline to leader join is a 'spliced' loop, that the large bead and run ring will pass over. To join it to the mainline I put the end of the mainline through the loop, then Uni knot it back. I don't pull it tight until I have slid the Uni knot back towards the loop, and over as much of it as I can, basically forcing the loop shut by the knot.

I should add, I keep on saying how much I hate using leaders full stop, if there is any weed nearby, forget them. I do only use these leaders in clear water areas, and rather than chuck them out into the mainlake if its weedy, it does go down the clear margins, or to clear areas. 

Sounds good Nick

After a few chats on here recently I'm probably going to get some rig marole tubing it looks ace.

I've tried the nash which is great but a nightmare to thread when wet.  Was doing mine and my mates in France coz he gave up.  Found the Korda stuff good and easier to thread, bit thicker but the rig marole looks like it doesn't split which has happened with the other two.  Looks heavy to - yonny recommended it.

With regards to the leadcore chat I always say keep it short like 1.5 - 2ft that suits what I'm doing.  I've changed to leadfree but always found the ESP leadcore to be really good.

Problems I had with one brand was the lead inner breaking into sections which is very bad if beads are to be passing over the leader, so look out for that.  Again I'm getting the rig marole linkteq think that's right - looked amazing! 😊

Lead setups - helicopter and clips both have good points and potential dangers so make sure you use the components that are meant to go together instead of patching things together.

Edited by kevtaylor

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 21:05, salokcinnodrog said:

Crack-offs?

I've had a few, :oops:

Almost definitely trying to give it the biggun; some of the fishing on the lagoons is at long range. That reminds me, I must get some more 3.5oz leads!

I'm not sure if the pics i've put up show the width properly, but its around 300 metres wide I reckon, and to reach the middle running bar is one heck of a chuck, my limit is probably 130 metres and every now and again I mess one up. Not sure whats more embarrassing, the crack-off that goes up into the air, and drops around 20metres in front, or the one you see crash and splash just off the far bank.

Its a weird one, some areas are totally weed free, so you think leader is safe, yet other areas are weed city, especially behind Long Island and South Lagoon. Kind of a 'do you, don't you' conundrum.

Must admit I'm not that keen on leaders to be honest, but with 15lb line (Floroclear) I have been using the clear TFG Lokdown ones (https://www.totalfishinggear.co.uk/buy.cfm/carp-accessories/tf-gear-lok-down-leaders/39/no/59490) on the long chuck rod, one rod with tubing, one naked. The naked rod I have regularly had to snip the end of mainline nearest the swivel, and retie it. The run ring even causes abrasion on the line. Tubing rod gets checked, and doesn't need changing so often, but does occasionally. 

Guess what though, its the rod with the clear Lokdown leader that has produced the most fish. I do set that up with a run ring and a large rubber bead to stop the lead and run ring sliding down the hooklink swivel. The mainline to leader join is a 'spliced' loop, that the large bead and run ring will pass over. To join it to the mainline I put the end of the mainline through the loop, then Uni knot it back. I don't pull it tight until I have slid the Uni knot back towards the loop, and over as much of it as I can, basically forcing the loop shut by the knot.

Nick I have been using Tiger line for a few years now, I haven't once needed to shorten the line through abrasion by the swivel etc.