Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Gazlaaar

The Magic Of Fishing

It's some 30 odd years since I started fishing, in fact it's probably closer to 40. I started catching sticklebacks down the local Brook, moved onto rod and reel and caught silvers, some 20 years later I moved into the magic world of carp fishing and the rest is history. Despite all of the negative tripe that goes on all over social media I still get that same feeling as I did as a kid. I love fishing and if I'm lucky, I'll get another 30 to 40 years out of this glorious sport :)

3 minutes ago, ianain said:

Got to agree with those sentiments Gaz, and it's nice to hear when people get excited over catching a fish smaller than their PB like Greekskii's recent posts and captures.

I get excited by every fish I catch regardless of size or species, but I have to admit to getting orgasmic when catching very big specimens. 

1 hour ago, Gazlaaar said:

It's some 30 odd years since I started fishing, in fact it's probably closer to 40. I started catching sticklebacks down the local Brook, moved onto rod and reel and caught silvers, some 20 years later I moved into the magic world of carp fishing and the rest is history. Despite all of the negative tripe that goes on all over social media I still get that same feeling as I did as a kid. I love fishing and if I'm lucky, I'll get another 30 to 40 years out of this glorious sport :)

Totally agree with everything you've wrote there.  Going through the " apprenticeship " as it were was brilliant and a proper learning curve. I remember screaming when I caught a gudgeon all those years ago, it was "whopper". Still get as excited with a fish today. 

I've had more than my fair share of magical moments, and not all fish related either. Sunrises and sunsets are truly wonderful during the winter, waking up to a crisp morning where everything is covered in a thin layer of frost. Watching bats, kingfishers and swarms of tadpoles being rounded up by schools of perch. Listening to owls and foxes, seeing glow worms down in kent. 

Big Carp breaking the surface is a very evocative sound at night. Having a nice morning moment interrupted by the sound of a single bleep. Sometimes I just sit back and take it all in, take a deep breath and realise how lucky I am.

It's such a great sport to be involved with :)

I love fishing, carp, pike, chub, roach, bream and tench. I probably don't spend as much time as I should just fishing for silver fish, watching a float, but even that is exciting, you never know what could be next.

I started fishing in the 1970's when my Grandma bought me a Czech made solid fibreglass match rod, with a Ryobi reel, after a blank trip or two on the river local to Halesworth, I caught plenty of rudd from a local farm pond. From there I fished the River Dove, Thornham Estate ponds, and then moved, as my parents separated, to Barham, upgrading tackle by saving up and Christmas presents.

It was there that got me started after big tench, back in the 1980's a 9lb tench was a monster, and bream to the same, and I had caught a few of each, along with roach to 2lb, and chub to 5lb from the river, plus a fair number of pike to high doubles, and a 20lb pike, along with a fair few carp to 18.12.

I reckon I served a real apprenticeship, and I'm still wanting to learn more, because every water is different.

Fishing is not just a pursuit, its a lifestyle, its in my blood. When i'm not fishing i'm thinking fishing, always working out how to wangle the next trip, thinking my way into location of what I want to catch. Even a blank is a learning experience, albeit an annoying one!

I cant wait to take my little boy. I'll start him on the small stuff as I did. Let him progress in to carp fishing if he chooses. He may want to target another species, who knows. I want him to do it how I did, fish the rivers for roach and gudgeon, maybe some perch. Feeder fishing for tench and bream, picking up the odd carp. A bit of pike and perch fishing on the rivers, etc. 

I always get a joy out of fishing, regardless of what I catch. A low double in the depths of winter means as much as a 20 in the summer. I like to feel like I've earned the fish I catch by doing it right and putting the effort in... I was spombing out a bucket of bait in the pitch black last night. I couldn't even feel my fingers to change to a large spomb so it took twice as long! I prefer harder waters, with a bit of mystery around them but every fish is special.

I remember my first river carp, I was shaking with excitement for days afterwards. My first carp ever was a low double stalked from the back of a reed bed on a flat fished worm, I can remember it now. I can also remember my first pike from the river and the very first fish I caught in fact. a palm sized roach, caught on a worm on a bent gold picture nail tied to string tied to a long stick down a local park lake. Never looked back after that. I based my whole life around fish and fishing. 

Long live the magic. I hope it never fades entirely... it has faded for me on certain waters, and certain species...I'm a full time carper now, no inclination to fish for other species. Lakes lost to otter predation amongst other things. 

I've always taken him Hutch since he was a toddler,  sat on my knee catching from the farm pond , & trout fishing down our little stretch of river . this year was the first time I took him out & out carping though( 7 years old now ) .  he went to sleep in the bivvy that night still having not had a bite all day , his cousin had managed 3 fish . he had a run on his rod at about 1 am .... there was no waking him .. even though I was way over excited shouting " it's your Rod" over & over lol .

He's been coming with me since he was 6/7, before we started I went out and brought some basic float and feeder fishing kit, he's had some cracking fish on them, including a 5lbs Tench on his first bite on the float all those years ago, absolute magic.  Not sure about the extra weight on the barrow though :lol:

It's the mystery and magic of angling that appeals most for me, i think if i new too much about what goes on under the water i might l lose interest, one of the reasons i have avoided getting a Deeper or similar, that and i'm not sure i could read one, lol.

As for gudgeon, if they grew as big as carp we would all still be fishing for them.

Just a magic sport to be involved in.

How many people miss out on daybreak, sleeping under the stars, seeing the seasons change, watching nature in indifferent forms.

My kids have been dragged along since they were 2 & 3 respectively.  My son is now getting into lure fishing and was always straight over to the lures in the tackle shop.  Neither are totally into fishing but both just like being out by the water.

Promise them a McDonalds on the way and a BBQ whilst there and they will happily go anywhere! 

55 minutes ago, Big Common said:

Nicely put Gaz.

I'm sure there are many aspects of fishing that annoy us all, but there are far more to be grateful for. We all fish our own way, which is driven from our own experiences and results.

Mark Watson recently put up a post on Facebook asking "who is the best angler" his mentor replied with "the man who enjoys it the most"

I think that's absolutely right, it's too easy to get caught up in what others are doing, Lord knows social media is rife with bitter opinion. Some jealousy, some ludicrous, some just spiteful but all unnecessary. 

Trials and tribulations are to be had, questions will be asked, what ever path you choose, it's never the wrong path as long as you enjoy the journey.

We are all privileged in the things we see, the sounds we hear and the feelings we feel, I just hope each and everyone of us takes stock from time to time to realise how lucky we all are.

8 minutes ago, Gazlaaar said:

We are all privileged in the things we see, the sounds we hear and the feelings we feel, I just hope each and everyone of us takes stock from time to time to realise how lucky we all are.

absolutely right.

I had a moment a few years ago when everything is life was a bit on top of me so I thought 'F i!' and went fishing for 3 days. I switched off totally from everything going on and just revelled in being at the lake by myself for the entire time. I didn't speak to anyone for the entire time either! but I lay there on my bedchair looking out across the lake and just felt at one with the world. Not sure if anyone ever gets that. I came back totally calm and happy and sorted things out. I think nature is such a powerful thing that most don't understand.

1 minute ago, yonny said:

Lots. Those awe inspiring sights that we see see regularly, some folk NEVER see it. And they think we're mad?!!!!

Well said... the amount of people that "don't get it" but then you show them pics of sunrises, sunsets, the wildlife, etc. and they seem to start to understand. I dont think any angler goes fishing just to catch fish. Seeing a deer in the early morning mist or watching the sun glowing crazy shades of red/pink/orange is just incredible. 

I do think I sometimes take it for granted though, with a lot of my job being near water too. I practically see kingfishers everywhere I go! I also have thought the same "dont get it" about bird watching, then I was with a colleague who was really in to it and he told me the swans we were looking at were from Russia and the sinensis cormorant we saw was about 1 in a 1000 to see one. Again, made me really appreciate why people are in to it. 

6 minutes ago, greekskii said:

I practically see kingfishers everywhere I go!

Yeah.... it's a given spotting them in the Valley. Just on my last session I was sitting having a brew first thing and a weasel popped out of the reeds... we made eye contact, he gave me a funny look, and legged it, sharpish. When stuff like that doesn't seem out of the ordinary you know something is right!

My fave is defo seeing a mole swim. I've told other anglers about that and even they don't believe me!

26 minutes ago, yonny said:

My fave is defo seeing a mole swim. I've told other anglers about that and even they don't believe me!

When we were kids my cousin saved a mole from a storm drain, it fell in and was swimming around.  When he released it in the woods it disappeared into the ground quicker than anything.

fishing to me is a passion... not just a hobby.. the one thing that I have done continuously since  I was three and a half years old, when my  mum first put a little cane rod in my hand in Malta and we caught eels out of the Grand Harbour... I've seen wildlife every time I go fishing.... Not like the bloke who pitches up and then sits in his bivvy on his phone or tablet, waiting for a rod to rattle off while he's  updating his farceberk profile about the poo he's just had.... but going out and taking notice of what goes on around you...

I too fish all ways, not just Carping... A week ago I was fishing the Tiny River Wid in Chelmsford catchingMminnows and Roach... 8 weeks ago I was fishing the Wallington in Portsmouth, for monster Gudgeon... at the end of Jan I'll be fishing the Trent at Newark, and then Docklow pools for the weekend then Redmire in March... Then Docklow again, followed by Ashmead then... well I s'pose you get the picture, and interspersed with all these, there will be the pleasure sessions locally on my club waters... and every time I go, I see something to wonder at.... during the summer it's grass snakes swimming across our lakes, kingfishers, voles and all other sorts of wildlife.. on one occasion I was plotted up on the club lake and a herd of deer ambled past behind my bivvy snuffling in the long grass... you don't get that sitting in your bedroom getting wired at playing call of doom or grand theft assassin or whatever...  

2 hours ago, greekskii said:

absolutely right.

I had a moment a few years ago when everything is life was a bit on top of me so I thought 'F i!' and went fishing for 3 days. I switched off totally from everything going on and just revelled in being at the lake by myself for the entire time. I didn't speak to anyone for the entire time either! but I lay there on my bedchair looking out across the lake and just felt at one with the world. Not sure if anyone ever gets that. I came back totally calm and happy and sorted things out. I think nature is such a powerful thing that most don't understand.

Well said... the amount of people that "don't get it" but then you show them pics of sunrises, sunsets, the wildlife, etc. and they seem to start to understand. I dont think any angler goes fishing just to catch fish. Seeing a deer in the early morning mist or watching the sun glowing crazy shades of red/pink/orange is just incredible. 

I do think I sometimes take it for granted though, with a lot of my job being near water too. I practically see kingfishers everywhere I go! I also have thought the same "dont get it" about bird watching, then I was with a colleague who was really in to it and he told me the swans we were looking at were from Russia and the sinensis cormorant we saw was about 1 in a 1000 to see one. Again, made me really appreciate why people are in to it. 

It's one of the reasons I don't like having the infill panel on my brolly, I don't feel like I am connected to the water with it on. I really do like to emerse myself into my fishing. I used to read a lot of books while out on the bank, until I realised how much I was missing. It's like having two separate lives, my home and my fishing. Both just as important but both worlds apart.

13 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

Great thread. Very much enjoyed reading this one fellas. As a new angler, used to the hustle and bustle of working in the city, then spending my weekends in pubs or whatever, I felt I needed some time back amongst nature. Fishing has been like therapy. I don't have a care in the world when sitting by a scenic lake watching nature first hand. This autumn, my first autumn of fishing, has been a real thing of beauty. I was dreading the summer ending in regards to fishing, but it's been truly amazing. Watching nature change infront of you. Though I did almost get killed by a falling branch in strong winds last weds, I still went home smiling.  I get people think anglers are nuts, I once did. Now I understand its allure. 

There's still quite a few anglers who don't like winter fishing but youll get the best sunrises and sunsets of the year during the colder months. I tend to suffer through the warmer months, I just don't like the heat, come winter and I thrive :)

Biggest tip I can give, especially when doing nights in winter is be prepared.

Stick all of your luggage under your bedchair, it'll cut down the cold air circulating and coming through the mattress. Hot water bottle makes a massive different, a good think loose hoody with a large hood. Thermal base layer and thick joggers. Plenty of hot drinks, a good stove. I don't do a lot of eating whilst fishing and I'm very careful not to let the cold settle in, hence the old phrase "cold to the bone" it's difficult to warm yourself if your that cold.

I have recently purchased a mattress topper for my bedchair and it does make a difference. I don't sleep well in fleece lined bags, I just find it clings whilst moving round in bed so I got a Trakker Big Snooze Smooth, plus a Bedchair Cover. Thermal lined boots and just be sensible. Fishing in winter is all about being comfortable and dry, most of the waterproof/thermal garments just don't work so I have proper over trousers and jacket. Get familiar with the way you set out your shelter and before long you won't even need a headtorch to find stuff.

Contrary to belief you don't loose most of your heat out of your head, your just as likely to loose just as much if not more heat from any of your limbs so keep covered. I've fished in some pretty dire conditions and enjoyed pretty much all of it :)

7 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Just a magic sport to be involved in.

How many people miss out on daybreak, sleeping under the stars, seeing the seasons change, watching nature in indifferent forms.

My kids have been dragged along since they were 2 & 3 respectively.  My son is now getting into lure fishing and was always straight over to the lures in the tackle shop.  Neither are totally into fishing but both just like being out by the water.

Promise them a McDonalds on the way and a BBQ whilst there and they will happily go anywhere! 

7 hours ago, yonny said:

Lots. Those awe inspiring sights that we see see regularly, some folk NEVER see it. And they think we're mad?!!!!

My eldest daughter doesn't fish anymore, she has her own life, but she walks her dog along the river in Norwich. She has said numerous times, 'I may not be interested in fishing anymore, but I can totally understand why you go'.

Those kingfishers?

I can't understand why people say they haven't seen one. I was sat at the local park lake with Sky the other day, a kingfisher flew in front of us, and sat on a branch in the tree to our left, no more than 2metres away.