Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Gazlaaar

Fishing Comparison

I know miles had a lot of issues up Horseshoe getting that fenced due to access fir other wildlife , But obviously got permission in the end, But with no doubt extra cost. 

I'm sure you know how much these flood modelling reports cost Vic .... very expensive & you need very deep pockets .

I've come up against it on more than one occasion trying to make more out of my land , if you have enough money your get around it if not like me you won't. 

Yeah flood modelling is a joke. Most of the time though you don't need it for fencing as long as it's designed properly. Otter fencing more problematic as it's a lot more wire than say stock fencing or your easy two string barbed wire cattle fencing. But as long as it runs adjacent to the river and follows the course and is more than 8m back from the river bank the need for flood modelling should be negated. 

It depends on if the lake is designated for anything. Don't know much about horseshoe but here in the nene valley, RAMSAR (highest designation in Europe) sites have otter fencing. Why? The designation is for overwintering birds and nothing else. If it's for water voles. Would be a problem. 

Working with the authorities or a consultant (again cost here) from the start instead of doing it yourself is the way forward. Local fisheries officers will help you out. Likely FOC. 

They have just done some flood work in a park near me, a place called Coundon Fields, when it floods it don't affect any houses, just wrecks the football pitches so they built a nice pond with run off to the nearest brook, they used the soil to build some big mounds all looks nice, they even put a sign up saying no fish will be stocked and asked locals not to put any in as it may cause an invasive species problem, give it five years or so and the place will be packed with Koi dumped out of garden ponds.

14 hours ago, bluelabel said:

Want big gudgeon...? Try the River Wallington in Portsmouth... fished it three times and had gudgeon to nearly 4oz8) pull yer arm off they do...  got record breakers in there....!

hey blue, my point was that at one time you could have done that in MOST uk waters, at one time you could have bagged up over 100-150 gudgeon in a couple of hours on any of the waters by me, now its a mission to find two on the same stretch of cut.

They build houses on flood planes then when they flood they blame it on man made climate change. 

As for fishing then and fishing now. It was it was, and it is what is.

Otters will only find a natural balence when the do gooders stop interfiering which isnt going to happen. Only one way to deal with otters and that is on the sly. Simple as. Although i do beleive more and more that its a minority of otters that cause majority of the problems.

21 hours ago, cyborx said:

so, you find it just as easy to find er! lets see, 🤔 gudgeon, loach, ruff, eels, stream lamprey, minnow, stickleback, perch, crucians, smelt or shad? 😂 😂

Yep, Gudgeon ,Eels , Minnows, Perch, Crucians , no harder than 40 years ago , as for smelt had them i believe in my dropnet catching Crabs for bait and Shad off the boat , never seen a Lamprey, only ever caught Stone loach in my landing net looking for them along with our Freshwater Crayfish.

The rivers and streams i fish , i fish mainly for Dace , Roach, Chubb ,Grayling and Barbel, still the same although Otters are having an effect, private lakes and ponds for perch and Crucians 

We had otters in the town stretch of the river Welland two years ago now, the river it's self is not at all large or deep but you could easily spot small roach knocking around in there, but now it's completely empty of both roach and otters, just a few sticklebacks dotted around, I'm guessing that the otters have moved downstream and will keep going until they find more food, it's shame because those roach must of moved downstream as they out grew the river at this end and helped to populate the river further down...