Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Highy

Dropping leads and it's impacts

Hi all..

653x434.jpg.69eca155522ef96fa28c5f0babe8d6d1.jpg

I know making a Drop off rig that will drop the lead on every occasion is the safest thing for the carp....BUT is it not expensive for all the leads.

If not i need some leads...i only have 7 in line leads and 3 clip leads.

🎣🎣

9/10 times i will fish inline leads with pva bag...but not dropp off...not been anywere that requires it yet...just me coz every video so far ive watched have all been about drop off leads and im like...cost of leads every time....or im tight fisted...😁😁

Edited by Highy
Spelling

Say ten casts during a day session, =10 leads at £1.50 a pop, 2 kilo's of boilies = £20, a day ticket  for a good water £15-20, fuel to get there say a tenner, soon mounts up.... not using drop off's saves  £15 on the day and for the future...  in most situations a drop off isn't required and is only advocated to sell leads.. I'll lightly push on a tail rubber, but no so I drop the lead, it's purely from a safety point of view so the lead doesn't get snagged and tether a fish...

It's ok for all the big names with sponsorship that say you should always drop the lead.

But they will be getting them all for free, if they were buying them at £1.50 a go do you think they would still be doing it? :D

20 minutes ago, finchey said:

It's ok for all the big names with sponsorship that say you should always drop the lead.

But they will be getting them all for free, if they were buying them at £1.50 a go do you think they would still be doing it? :D

Yes..... if the situation required it.

Dropping the lead all the time is not required. I use running rigs or helis for all my fishing. Heli set-ups have the atomic choppa droppa system on and the lead wont come back when I hook a fish (or its plugged deep in silt) comes back the rest of the time. My running rig set up can eject the lead if required in weedy conditions. 

Buy your leads from someone like DONK leadz on facebook. 55p each.

I have the problem at the moment of do I drop leads or not on the take due to lily pads. No lead means I can get a fish's head up and no lead to snag on the leaf part of the lily. However the lead wont eject when it gets snagged on stems or the leaves due to it not being like submerged weedbeds. Nothing to hold on to the lead and pull it free. This means I need to drop the lead on the take, which normally means reeling in without one fish or no fish. awkward decision to make. 

7 minutes ago, greekskii said:

I have the problem at the moment of do I drop leads or not on the take due to lily pads. No lead means I can get a fish's head up and no lead to snag on the leaf part of the lily. However the lead wont eject when it gets snagged on stems or the leaves due to it not being like submerged weedbeds. Nothing to hold on to the lead and pull it free. This means I need to drop the lead on the take, which normally means reeling in without one fish or no fish. awkward decision to make. 

If I understand your predicament correctly a Kord Heli-safe would do the job no?

27 minutes ago, yonny said:

I was using a version of them by another manufacturer a few years ago.

I'm the same, I do not drop the lead unless I absolutely have to.

I've found even in weed I get everything back on most occasions, and I'm not always sure it is the lead that has snagged up. I have had massive bundles of weed wrapped around the top of tubing, leader knots, even just lead clips or run rings. The shape of most leads allows the weed to slide over them!

In my view, it is totally wrong of tackle manufacturers to advocate polluting our waters, even a tiny bit, by dropping the lead every take.

Littering is littering, you wouldn't (or shouldn't), throw a can on the ground or in the lake, it's effectively fly tipping or littering. Just because you can't see it in the water dropping the lead is the same.

5 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I have had massive bundles of weed wrapped around the top of tubing, leader knots, even just lead clips or run rings.

I hate that.... when you're trying to land a fish with weed caught round the knot/tubing and you can see the fish behind the clump of weed.... so you can't reach the fish with the net and have to get the weed off by hand..... just horrible! Not fun.

am using the fox drop off run rigs. Very effective. Sometimes in light weed you still keep the lead. I've come to the conclusion that wading out solves all the problems. and using as small as lead as possible. 

16 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I've found even in weed I get everything back on most occasions, and I'm not always sure it is the lead that has snagged up.

Remember playing a fish that felt oddly heavy. wrapped up in my line above 6ft of leader was a thin branch around 1m long. Luckily it wasnt a big fish or from a hard water so I didnt mind almost losing it trying to untangle the branch so I could land it!! I tend to find the leader knot always pics up a good ball of weed too.

On 8/23/2017 at 09:05, Highy said:

Hi all..

653x434.jpg.69eca155522ef96fa28c5f0babe8d6d1.jpg

I know making a Drop off rig that will drop the lead on every occasion is the safest thing for the carp....BUT is it not expensive for all the leads.

If not i need some leads...i only have 7 in line leads and 3 clip leads.

🎣🎣

imo dropping the lead is a no no. i have not yet come against the situation where it would be better/safer for the lead to be gone, even while zigging. but then i haven't quite mastered that yet :lol:

now bear in mind that this is ONLY my opinion, BUT!! 20 blokes round a popular lake that has a bit of weed, all set up to drop lead on the take and all using 3oz leads, ideal day and all take a modest 5 fish (rare i know but bear with me) now this is a busy lake and full for say three days a week and 40 weeks per year. NOW!! here we go 20x3ozx5x3x40=36000oz of lead = 2250lb = 1020.5 KILO of lead on the bottom of the lake in one year, now i know that figure is a tad far fetched but i wouldnt want even 1/10th of that in my lake, and that is only one year.

bad for the Eco system but Good for the tackle shops, i throw out the challenge for anyone to convince me otherwise :wink:

Just now, Highy said:

Ive never done/tried so far yet...still a beginner learning for last 6 months..🎣🎣

last time i purchased leads i got 20x 2oz and 20x 3oz, i put 5 each into my rucksack and the rest in the shed.

i have in my rucksack 12 months on 5x 2oz and 4x 3oz (lost a 3oz due to a crack off that sailed over a farmers field lol) and 15 each still in the shed, so my record so far is 1x lead in 12 months and that missed the lake so no danger there eh :lol:

14 minutes ago, cyborx said:

last time i purchased leads i got 20x 2oz and 20x 3oz, i put 5 each into my rucksack and the rest in the shed.

i have in my rucksack 12 months on 5x 2oz and 4x 3oz (lost a 3oz due to a crack off that sailed over a farmers field lol) and 15 each still in the shed, so my record so far is 1x lead in 12 months and that missed the lake so no danger there eh :lol:

I can remember looking for a 4oz cracked off lead at a casting competition, attached to a bright orange shock leader.

Bear in mind the average casting distance I think was around 200yards, we followed the direction of the crack-off and walked half a mile, to the boundary fence and didn't find it. A crack-off can travel a heck of a lot further than a normal cast!

15 hours ago, Highy said:

Cyborx....never thought like that....alot of lead 😲😲😲

ha!! just worked out the potential cost in £ of that lot too, average price on the bay for 1x3oz camo lead is £2.00, so that little lot would be £24,000.00. :shock::shock::shock:

lot of profit for Kev and crew init