Dropping leads and it's impacts

Highy

Every tackle manufacturer video I have seen over the past 6 months or so seems to have advocated NOT dropping the lead for the sake of it, nearly all fish are landed with the lead on.

IMO they are addressing the issue and rightly so.

I drop leads and have to look at myself first and foremost to make sure I only do it where I deem it necessary.

I think fair enough if your after anything 25lb plus..you may have to drop ure lead but at moment im on commercials...yeh they have em to mid 20's but biggest so far is 16lb...just to get familiariseation with carp tackle from years of match tackle...

Hi kev...ive mainly watched korda vids n all nearly use dropping the lead even upto 5oz when using it on rivers (will be the force of flow)..alreet if there sponsored..all have 1k leads i bet.

Yeah but watch the very latest stuff from Fox and the others and you'll see a definite move towards keeping the lead on - which is good to see.  Korda haven't done their annual freeby yet.

If there is no heavy weed or snags there's no point in dropping the lead, and I am guilty of doing it simply because lead clip set-ups are on the rods when I get there and I like playing fish with the lead gone.  They are making the effort it seems and so shall I from now onwards.

I will use lighter leads when not dropping to minimise the chances of the fish throwing the hook due to the weight itself. 

If I fished a venue where you had to drop the lead, I'd be off somewhere else to be honest.

I much prefer to fish a running rig. If set up correctly, (and you can't really go wrong to be honest), there is absolutely no way that a fish is going to be trailing a lead around behind it in the event of a break.

I've just started using lead clips due to my lake rules stating that I must use rig tubing, but I don't like them. Too much clutter for me.

I have just ordered a pack of these https://www.kenttackle.com/korda-korda-run-rig-rubbers.html so that I can incorporate my rig tubing securely and will be swapping back to running rigs on all rods as soon as they arrive, hopefully before my planned session next Tuesday. Little dob of superglue where the tubing enters and I'm good to go, and will feel a lot more confident

Edited by smufter

On 25/08/2017 at 10:39, cyborx said:

ha!! just worked out the potential cost in £ of that lot too, average price on the bay for 1x3oz camo lead is £2.00, so that little lot would be £24,000.00. :shock::shock::shock:

lot of profit for Kev and crew init

You need to speak to the guy I use mate (dont leads) I pay between 55p and 75p per lead and you can get them in pretty much any colour/coating you like 

Interesting read Nick ... you have to think something has to change at some point in the near future. 

Long term it will pollute it's lead after all 

I don't tend to drop that many leads over a season ... think it's around 3 or 4 this year so far & I've had plenty of fish . but will still be looking at alternatives, might go back to plasticine for short range stuff .

Can't remember who the member was but he mentioned how many leads he dropped on a session using the cog system & it shocked a lot of members . So can see where the articles figures come from. 

14 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

Interesting read Nick ... you have to think something has to change at some point in the near future. 

Long term it will pollute it's lead after all 

I don't tend to drop that many leads over a season ... think it's around 3 or 4 this year so far & I've had plenty of fish . but will still be looking at alternatives, might go back to plasticine for short range stuff .

Can't remember who the member was but he mentioned how many leads he dropped on a session using the cog system & it shocked a lot of members . So can see where the articles figures come from. 

Strange thing is I only lose leads when I get a crack-off or snap-up, and managed 3 a couple of weeks ago in one session:oops:

We can't know how many or how much lead gets dropped in the course of a year, but has estimate of 100tons is a lot of lead! Especially when you think I reckon most anglers use 3oz leads, so 100tons divided by 3oz is actually over 1000000 (1million) leads.

I keep making the point about litter and pollution, just because you can't see it, it doesn't mean it's not happening. Throw a can on the ground is littering, pollution. Throw a can into the lake is littering, pollution, but you can't see it. Now consider that's your lead!

Tackle manufacturers need to address the problem and stop encouraging anglers to drop the lead as well, Nash and Korda are the first that spring to mind!

9 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I only lose leads when I get a crack-off or snap-up, and managed 3 a couple of weeks ago in one session:oops:

This weekend just gone I borrowed a large spomb off my mate as I only had the small with me. I cracked it off and lost it for him when the line somehow wrapped round the tip ring lol... never happens when no-ones looking does it lol.....

7 hours ago, Big Common said:

Surprised no ones come up with a cost effective alternative to leads.

I did see something somewhere about a potential biodegradable alternative but I can't remember for the life of me where I saw it.......

I think until someone comes up with an alternative and makes it cheap enough it will be a problem. I cracked off twice in a session a couple weeks back. First crack offs in as long as I can remember. I also lost a couple of leads due to fish getting in the lily pads at the weekend. 

I think now a lot of the leads used are coated in plastic, it kind of stops the lead polluting to some extend until it is exposed. Not an excuse but surely the coating has some impact on how much/quickly the lead is polluting the environment as it must slow it down dramatically as the water cant actually touch the lead, it touches a hard plastic coating (but thats a pollutant too I guess)

6 minutes ago, greekskii said:

I think until someone comes up with an alternative and makes it cheap enough it will be a problem. I cracked off twice in a session a couple weeks back. First crack offs in as long as I can remember. I also lost a couple of leads due to fish getting in the lily pads at the weekend. 

I think now a lot of the leads used are coated in plastic, it kind of stops the lead polluting to some extend until it is exposed. Not an excuse but surely the coating has some impact on how much/quickly the lead is polluting the environment as it must slow it down dramatically as the water cant actually touch the lead, it touches a hard plastic coating (but thats a pollutant too I guess)

I would say as you have, that the plastic is also a pollutant, and there is traces of plastic found in every or nearly every creature in the world.

I noticed that although I use coated leads as we probably all do, the coating on some cracks and peels off. A hard hit on a gravel bar is enough to crack it. I recently 'repaired' some with my lighter where I had to reseal them. 

The brass loop must also break down, again is that pollution?

Just because you can't see it, it doesn't mean it's not pollution

image.jpeg

4 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I would say as you have, that the plastic is also a pollutant, and there is traces of plastic found in every or nearly every creature in the world.

I noticed that although I use coated leads as we probably all do, the coating on some cracks and peels off. A hard hit on a gravel bar is enough to crack it. I recently 'repaired' some with my lighter where I had to reseal them. 

The brass loop must also break down, again is that pollution?

Just because you can't see it, it doesn't mean it's not pollution

image.jpeg

just like everything underwater. It's hidden so who cares. Attitude of the general public and the powers that be. That's why they bury nuclear waste in the sea.

I've only had the korda and fox leads coatings break on me. I now use textured coated leads and some standard coating and the coating is much thicker. Not had exposed lead for a few years now on my leads. They are also miles cheaper at 55p a hit. 

As said, not an excuse to not care but just pointing out the lead pollution will be slower due to coatings. I'll happily use an alternative as would 99% of anglers if it was available at the same cost. Whoever figures it out will be very rich

• 2 months later...

Probably a bit of an emotive one here but I've just been reading comments on the new fox heli drop off video where people are really slating dropping leads due to environmental impacts. 

Now I get it. Lead is toxic. It will destroy the environment. But I don't see any bare leads anymore unless it's for marker work. I think 99% of leads used that may be dropped are coated. This coating takes longer than any of our lifetimes to degrade. Thus containing the toxic lead and stopping it leaching in to the environment. Or am I seeing this wrong? 

I've removed old rigs from snags where the hooks have rusted and the lead and coating is perfectly in tact. 

I cannot see the lead leaching through the plastic coatings used nowadays..so I don't actually see the major problem here. Other than leads in the lake bed, covered by silt very quickly. 

Thoughts? 

I don't ever think there will be any definitive answer until something starts going wrong. You could well be right, i have pulled in old rigs that still have the lead attached and the leads always look fine. I just worry when heli/rotary/silt rigs are used in conjunction with leaders. That all comes down to your belief system, I don't like dropping leads, I honestly don't think there is any need, well I'll put it another way, I've never felt dropping a lead would benefit me or compromise a hooked fish.

But as for lead seeping through its plastic coating, we can all get a bit pedantic about it and say, the wire will rot out, or maybe part of the plastic coating has worn through or whatever. Beings as everyone is always telling us plastic bags from our local supermarket will be around for a million years,,I don't think lead seepage will be a problem, for now anyway.

At the same time plastic itself is a problem in our environment. Plastic breaks down to a tiny degree, but is more environmentally damaging because of its long term NOT breaking down. Almost every creature in the world has been found to contain plastic particles in its bloodstream, from eating it, or from eating other animals etc that have eaten it.

I use coated leads, and the number of leads where on hitting gravel, or dragging back across gravel, the plastic coating gets damaged or on occasions splits and comes right off; I regularly go over them with a cigarette lighter flame, remelt and restick them!

there is always another implication, one that anglers seem to not be aware of and should be.

that is the legality of the practice of 'dropping the lead'.

it is illegal (under the environmental permitting regulations 2010) to pollute (anglers), promote/allow polluting of (fisheries) and also as in the case of all major tackle manufacturers actively encourage pollution of fresh water environments.

here is a link to pallatrax site that raises some concerns aired by pallatrax themselves with a link to an open letter from Mark Lloyd of Angling Trust and Fish Legal that explains the legality of the practice that every angler should be aware of.

i remember airing my views on this in another thread and the letter just reinforces my then comments with complimenting quantities too.

https://www.pallatrax.co.uk/dropping-lead-pressing-issue-time/

24 minutes ago, Big Common said:

I try to meet it in the middle. I only really want the lead to drop if a fish is on and I'm weeded. So I've been using the little "c" clips, whatever they are called. They will open up and discharge the lead at 3 or 4 lb pressure... There are stronger versions that take about 8lb to open, for people that want to cast distance..... I have yet to lose a lead , either playing a fish or casting, but have only really started using them from when the weed started to break up a bit....

I do wonder how many hundreds or even thousands of leads are at the bottom of some lakes. But as mentioned, I'd hope that the coatings would be enough to stop any leakage. Bearing in mind they will sink into soft beds and be covered further over time with more silt......

Some long term testing would be needed, imo, with some conclusive findings, other wise it's just guess work as to what level of pollution they may be causing. I dare say that a lot of gravel pits would have had all kinds of rubbish in them when they were filled in (long before any regulations), plus all the pollutants in the atmosphere and water systems that can eventually be washed into any fishery....... We do tend to worry too much on some things. Who knows, perhaps the fish and the micro organisms are evolving to cope with such things, it's us that are wrapped in cotton wool  most of the time these days. Nature just tends to get on with it imo...... 

Walked past a dozen or so shooters today, wonder how much lead they discharged on the land? Will it eventually wash into the water system? Who knows, but it's bare shot, uncoated and often sprays into the lake or nearby bushes... They've been doing that for a very long time on that land. Long before the pits were dug and fished.

all that as may be but the main concern to me is it is illegal to drop the lead, and i would suspect that the penalties would be quite high if caught by the right (bolshie) EA bailiff.

2 minutes ago, Big Common said:

From what you quoted earlier Cyborx, then I reckon that it is illegal ..... You are the first person I know that has bought up the legality of it..... I'm amazed really that no one has mentioned this before.... I've never seen it in a rule book and certainly no right minded money grabbing tackle firm kordaford to mention such things :D

i have to ask tho Big,C did you click the link to pallatrax then follow the link to a pdf file? if you read it in full you can see that the angling fraternity are being held to account for polluting the environment, i also (reading between the lines) get the impression that action will soon start to be taken 😟