Dropping leads and it's impacts

Highy

I wonder what distance those lads could cast a ‘normal’ lead? I bet it’s over 200yards. But let’s say they can do 200. Take 60 yards off (30%) to get the 140 cast with the stone.

Now take the average angler. 100-110 yards with a normal lead?? Take the 30% off and you are left with a 70yard cast with a top end rod that the average angler probably wouldn’t own. 

If you start with a 200 yard cast on top end gear and take that 30% off for the stone. Then take another 20 yards off for the rod, you’re at 120 yards. That equates to 40%, which in turn, drops the average angler to a top cast of 60 yards with a stone! 

But not every angler wants to hit 140 yards so for yer average bod fishing his local 3 acre commercial a short chuck is the norm.... the only downside I can see is the lack of the stones density over a standard lead, so taking up more space in the lead bag...  gotta say that I'd be happy to use the "Stonze"  given the short chucks that I do... I'd question using them in bags to due to the lack of weight for the size....!

Lets face it how many of you ( honestly now) chuck 140-160  yards on a regular basis...? I'd wager not many, and in all  honesty, Terry Edmonds reckons you can knock 30 -50 yards off the average anglers estimations of his casting distance...  so your 140-160 ends up at about 90 -110 at worst or 110-130 max and if you reckon you can hit 200 yards I'd smile and walk away thinking your having a laugh....  or that you're name's Terry Edmonds:lol:

3 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

But not every angler wants to hit 140 yards so for yer average bod fishing his local 3 acre commercial a short chuck is the norm.... the only downside I can see is the lack of the stones density over a standard lead, so taking up more space in the lead bag...  gotta say that I'd be happy to use the "Stonze"  given the short chucks that I do... I'd question using them in bags to due to the lack of weight for the size....!

Lets face it how many of you ( honestly now) chuck 140-160  yards on a regular basis...? I'd wager not many, and in all  honesty, Terry Edmonds reckons you can knock 30 -50 yards off the average anglers estimations of his casting distance...  so your 140-160 ends up at about 90 -110 at worst or 110-130 max and if you reckon you can hit 200 yards I'd smile and walk away thinking your having a laugh....  or that you're name's Terry Edmonds:lol:

I quite agree with you on a few points there mate. The reason I put a spin on the results is because they were claiming that big casts can be made with them. No doubt about that but for the average angler, not so. Like you say, how many can actually hit 140 with a lead, never mind a stone! 

I certainly can’t hit 200 yards. Terry knows this personally :wink: he also knows exactly what I can cast, and more importantly, how far I can cast and hit the same line consistently (which is a different ball game to just how far you can whack it). 

4 hours ago, chillfactor said:

bit misleading tbh.

Agree, no mention of line bs either used on the test, could have been 6lb with a shock leader for all we know. 

I think a lot of guys had a go with these when they first came out quite a few years back. I would say that the average joe is using much better gear now (myself included) even at a budget in terms of mainline, line lay and tip recovery, ring sizing etc 

Not as good build quality  as top end gear, but much better than the average gear of 12/15 yrs ago in the main. So should be able to cast further with better accuracy in theory.

3 hours ago, bluelabel said:

Lets face it how many of you ( honestly now) chuck 140-160  yards on a regular basis...?

Mate, I struggled to hit 80yds on a water about 18mnths ago. Sounds pathetic, but I was so used to fishing short range, and punching 40-50yds with no technique, I just found it hard in any kind of wind to get the extra yards. Got it up to 100 yds now with a bit more practice and technique I'll be happy with 120/130 if I can get there. Found you've really got to put your gear to the test, which most people hold back on.

2 hours ago, B.C. said:

Agree, no mention of line bs either used on the test, could have been 6lb with a shock leader for all we know. 

I think a lot of guys had a go with these when they first came out quite a few years back. I would say that the average joe is using much better gear now (myself included) even at a budget in terms of mainline, line lay and tip recovery, ring sizing etc 

Not as good build quality  as top end gear, but much better than the average gear of 12/15 yrs ago in the main. So should be able to cast further with better accuracy in theory.

Mate, I struggled to hit 80yds on a water about 18mnths ago. Sounds pathetic, but I was so used to fishing short range, and punching 40-50yds with no technique, I just found it hard in any kind of wind to get the extra yards. Got it up to 100 yds now with a bit more practice and technique I'll be happy with 120/130 if I can get there. Found you've really got to put your gear to the test, which most people hold back on.

The only way I can hit big casts is regular practising. The number of miscasts until I get it right.

Ok, they hit 140 yards with decent rods, on a big water, but how many of us fish large 75 acre lakes?

Stick a Stonez on a normal rod on a normal lake, say 10-15 acres, and you can reach pretty much anywhere.

As it happens, I have cast a 3 1/2 oz Stonez around 100, and yes I know it was 100 as it was checked against my marker rod, on a known feature and (it shames me to admit it), counted on distance sticks, 27wraps. The rods are a set of RH The Ones in 3.25lb TC and it was with P-Line Floroclear, not the best casting line, 16lb

Thats a set of £150 rods, on an £80 Shimano reel.

Probably top end of average priced rods. So it is definitely possible to cast them. 

I made the point earlier in the thread, put a Stonez inside a PVA bag, with the rig and rest of the end tackle, make a clean and tidy bag, make it aerodynamic, and there is your distance casting weight all sorted.

Pva  bags don't make good distance leads tnough far to much drag . 

You are also backing up that the vid you posted is misleading , if you can only cast a 3.5 stone 27 wraps , equivalent leads would be looking at 40 wraps (no leader )

Don't get me wrong think there a good idea.... But not for distance work as stated. 

14 hours ago, chillfactor said:

Pva  bags don't make good distance leads tnough far to much drag . 

You are also backing up that the vid you posted is misleading , if you can only cast a 3.5 stone 27 wraps , equivalent leads would be looking at 40 wraps (no leader )

Don't get me wrong think there a good idea.... But not for distance work as stated. 

Sorry Mate, 

I know a number of people who have cast loaded bags over 100yards. Been numbers of articles on it, in Carpology, Carpfeed, online and printed media:

https://www.carpfeed.com/fishing-advice/how-to/kev-hewitts-foolproof-guide-to-solid-pva-bags

24 minutes ago, The Roach Basher said:

I know a couple of lads who dont use leads at all...They just stick a pebble/stone in their pva bags and use backleads. This way, no lost leads or snags and weight/size/shape is up to you. Not recommended on small waters with anglers opposite though.

Yeah, this thread is food for thought. As mentioned earlier, how many anglers really do constantly fish at range?... Perhaps a compromise could be made by most of us by using lead free weights at shorter distances, if casting is a problem and a drop off system is needed .Distance fishing will usually incorporate a heli set up, which, the way I use them, the lead stays fixed anyway.

The method you mention above...... you may come unstuck if any undertow pulls your unweighted rig about, but I can see how it would work in some situations.

Edited by B.C.

haha!! just read all the ducking and diving on here ref the pallatrax stonez and had a good larf.

the vid was posted presumably to refute what people were saying, I.E. "you cannot cast any distance casts with pallatrax stonez".

nailed it for me,,,  pallatrax stonez can be cast 140 yards, end of.

i dont recall any mention of 'your average joe' or 'gotta have proper distance rods' or 'hitting the mark consistently' and yet all this and more has been brought up as 'proof' that it cant be done,, why?

all talk like this does is put people who COULD use them off using them because they are reading comments by people who should know better.

my finding is this, stonez are a workable replacement for lead weights but be warned,,,if you want to yark em over the horizon you will need to spend a grand on ancilliary equipment and casting coaching.

sensible use is advised :lol:

13 hours ago, chillfactor said:

That's using a leader & 10lb line though Nick we are talking level line casting , make a a massive difference. 

Don't know how many years I have been using bags and stringers, but on Earith there was a leader ban, on Taverham it was too weedy to use a leader, and on Brackens there were few casts across the lake, which was 100metres wide, but on each I would fish 15lb straight through with the lead inside the bag. I know on Brackens with 0.35mm line on my DL10000's I could hit 90metres, which was just short of the pads in front of Pad swim (no casting from Pads over them).

I am not the best caster, but I can keep it smooth and put it 100yards on Beastmaster's on my current rods.

Thing is this, you can put a Stonez a long way, no matter what. Anyone, and I mean anyone, with casting tuition, practise and good gear can put any ledger weight a long way. You do not become the best caster overnight and better gear makes it easier to do. Using budget gear will not necessarily allow you to cast the best. I would not trust a £60 rod to be casting long distance, I know there is quite simply a limit on the ability of the gear, and my ability to use it.

I can drive 125mph in a Ferrari, but I could not likely do it in a Nissan Micra. Quality of equipment is simply better😉

That is exactly the same as the point of the video, using good gear can help you reach 140 yards with Stonez.

• 2 months later...
On 23/02/2018 at 17:11, chillfactor said:

Well going to give them a trial .... no reason  not to use them for short to midrange . Will report back with an honest assessment of there long range capabilities.  

Screenshot_20180223-170551.thumb.png.84c24cd88fcf816c9c3cd92427132789.png

Well did manage to give these a trial this week for distance zig work. I struggled to get where I needed to be with them so had to go back to 4oz lead.  Just to much drag & wabble through the air,  could visibly see it slowing up . Looking back through this thread the test done used 10lb line & leader casting setup. Tbh I can't think of anyone I know who uses that for a fishing set up , so in real fishing situations I would say the 140 yard claim to be a tad misleading lol . 

• 3 weeks later...