Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
fat4fish

garlic and fenugreek

8 hours ago, fat4fish said:

How much of each though?  I was going to try about 2 tsps of garlic and 1 1/2 tsps of fenugreek in 1 1/2 lbs of bait.

Unfortunately there are rarely hard and fast rules for additives outside of established [researched] additives, personally I would look to make at least three variations based on an established bait* when looking at something I thought would be an attractor**, as you are using two things it gets a little more complicated:

1 tsp of each

2 tsp of each

3 tsp of each

Then maybe 1:2, 2:1 etc.. Having the choice of three baits is easier to deal with on the bank, too many and you will find it difficult to find any difference or chose which one to use.

* All that I mean is something that has been used before and caught fish which I am looking to improve / tweak. I hope this makes some sense, but words of wisdom are: don't over complicate your bait and get tied up wondering how much and what to add etc., spend all of your effort into placing the bait in front of fish. A plain, bland bait will catch when fished well - a better bait may catch more but no bait will catch in the kitchen or your head.

** As opposed to something added to benefit the fish, e.g. adding something which contains a good source of vitamins and minerals; this can often be guessed or a straight calculation (depending on how good you are at maths :lol:)

I've had success using cloves of garlic in particles (or at least it didn't kill the swim), what I do is break a whole bulb into cloves, then lean on them with my palm to crush them and add them when I've finished boiling the particles so that there is still some heat (leaving skins on, but I do remove as much of the bulb paper as I can be bothered with). I haven't weighed them, but it's a bulb to a bucket (maybe 5Kg) so probably not a lot :confused: but the particles do have a slightly different sliminess to them.

I've tried powdered garlic in particles, but it didn't seem to have the same effect even though on paper they have more aminos for the same weight, maybe I've been too stingy :lol: or maybe the powdered versions from some places contain fillers / carriers?

I've had good success using 3 whole jars of fenugreek to a single batch of peanuts (2 at soaking, 1 after boiling).

Also 2 whole large bulbs of garlic to a batch of hemp, left to fester for 2 weeks prior to boiling. BE WARNED; do not boil (or even open the lid) indoors!

16 hours ago, Big Common said:

Have since learned that the garlic enzyme "Alicin" (not sure on spelling).. will produce sulphur

If my little chemistry set days are to be remembered (for the right reasons (I was such an angel :evil: )), sulphur (with I think hydrogen something else) had something to do with stink bombs (rotton eggs), which is a smell you often get when silt and detritus bubbles. Apart from that, I know nothing, especially when it comes to affects on fish.

2 hours ago, carpmachine said:

wasnt it hyrdrochloric acid and chips of grainite or marble, hydrogen sulphide was the result.

Not sure about the chips, but hydrogen sulphide sounds more like it, organic breakdown in water rather than inorganic :confused: suppose I should look it up :?

On 18/12/2017 at 22:14, carpmachine said:

long time ago Prof, i seem to remember something like zinc as well, it was a black mess that smelt awful

yeah zinc is a smelly one from what I remember.

On 10/12/2017 at 05:46, fat4fish said:

Anybody tried this is in a more traditional pack bait?

Garlic and Fenugreek are both attractors in their own right. Garlic is a feed stimulant. Used on fish farms when fish are ill and tanks need treating to ensure all the feed is eaten and medication isn't wasted. Fenugreek, im not too sure on the reasonings, something to do with digestion I believe. 

As Ian said, knock up some test batches with varying levels and see what works out best. I do know that you can overdo the Garlic though and it will become a repellent.