Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
TheKingTench

Catching other species

I'm happy to catch all species, with the exception of crayfish. I don't just fish for carp, I spend time chasing roach, chub, pike, bream and tench.

It was a double figure bream, just over 10, on my carp gear, that got me to get the bream gear out to chase them on a local lake, where I had a couple more doubles to 12lb.

A 12lb tench on carp gear meant more than the 24lb carp I landed the same session.

I'd say its rare to catch pike on carp gear, but I have had a few, usually on a pop-up.

I have also had pike chewing marker floats, and leads, when plumbing the depth.

Well if I should accidentally catch a 2lb Roach or a 6lb Tench I wouldn't mind :) , but a slimy Bream that makes my landing net stink - nooo ! .

A stonking big Gudgeon would be good , I haven't caught a Gudgeon for probably over 40 years :( .

theres another side to the meaning of nuisance fish

I know this thread is about catching other species but the syndicate im on is swamped in silvers and no predatory fish

so what natural food there is in the lake gets hammered leaving the carp to survive on anglers baits to big to be had by the smaller fish

I like to fish for most anything. I've never really understood why anyone would want to limit themselves to one type of fish and never catch anything but that one species of fish. Even when targeting a particular species, I welcome anything that will take my lure or bait. Plus, I think catching a huge variety of species in one's life is a bigger accomplishment really than catching large specimens of only one particular species.

Here in the US, alot of people mainly target the "glamour" species, such as the black basses, walleyes, trout, muskies, striped bass, salmon, northern pike, and to a lesser extent, catfish, crappies, and, in some regions, white bass and sauger. But they are other fishes that are for the most part totally ignored and unknown to many, despite many giving a great fight, which is a shame.

Edited by TnCarper
Misspell

Used to love a bit of barbel at adams mill back in the day mkaa had the outer bank potters bar had the inner that caused some flare ups lol.

I belonged to both so had the best of both worlds.

so for me its

carp on carp gear 

and anything else by design 

a double figure bream fights rubbish on 5lb line let alone 12 lol

5 hours ago, framey said:

Used to love a bit of barbel at adams mill back in the day mkaa had the outer bank potters bar had the inner that caused some flare ups lol.

I belonged to both so had the best of both worlds.

so for me its

carp on carp gear 

and anything else by design 

a double figure bream fights rubbish on 5lb line let alone 12 lol

I imagine you just haul them in on 12lb line lol