Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ianain

Particle preparation guide

Since the old one was an image, which has fallen foul of the P.B. change in terms and conditions, please find a starter for 10:

Soak 24 hours cook 30 - 40 minutes
adzuki beans
black eyed beans
brazils
butter beans
hemp seed
kidney beans
maize
maple peas
peanuts*
tiger nuts

Soak 18 - 24 hours cook 30 minutes
chick peas
haricot beans
pinto beans
soya beans
tares

Soak 12 hours cook 20 - 30
barley
buck wheat
wheat

*peanuts must be tested for and free from Aflatoxins; do not use cooked peanuts.

The above are guidelines only, some will soak and cook quicker and some will require longer, if in doubt leave the finished particles in liquid after you have finished heating them for another 24 hours and you should be fine.

Particles can be bagged and frozen once they've cooled down.

Make sure you have a container that is large enough and that there is plenty of water on them whilst soaking as they can take up a lot of water and even double in size.

When cooking make sure that the cooking vessel is large enough as they can expand whilst cooking.

Edited by ianain
Coz I can and did

20 minutes ago, Big Common said:

Are you suggesting that you can just chuck them in CM ? Just wondered, as some years back, I was told a fish kill on Silver End Pit was put down to someone pre baiting with un-prepped , whole Brazil's. This was some years back around 1990. I'd asked one of the bailiffs at the time as to why the club had enforced a nut ban. And that was his answer....... I would probably err on the side of caution, and prep any nuts. I've used prepped Brazils and had them out for 24hrs, and they still ooze oils out in the margin when retrieved.... Could be that I was fobbed off by the bailiff on that water... I'm more of a boilie angler, but would always advocate to prep all nuts if you are going to use them,

unsoaked brazils float. Well all the ones I've ever bought have, and after soaking some will vary in buoyancy. Dont think you need to fish them in quantities when they are whole, crushed and chopped up is enough, just a handful. From boiling they just go softer so you can put a needle through them instead of drilling them out. A little mesh bag of shavings (from when you balance it) makes the perfect slow drop to straighten the hooklink out too.

6 hours ago, ianain said:

Since the old one was an image, which has fallen foul of the P.B. change in terms and conditions, please find a starter for 10:

Soak 24 hours cook 30 - 40 minutes
adzuki beans
black eyed beans
brazils
butter beans
hemp seed
kidney beans
maize
maple peas
peanuts*
tiger nuts

Soak 18 - 24 hours cook 30 minutes
chick peas
haricot beans
pinto beans
soya beans
tares

Soak 12 hours cook 20 - 30
barley
buck wheat
wheat

*peanuts must be tested for and free from Aflatoxins; do not use cooked peanuts.

The above are guidelines only, some will soak and cook quicker and some will require longer, if in doubt leave the finished particles in liquid after you have finished heating them for another 24 hours and you should be fine.

Particles can be bagged and frozen once they've cooled down.

Make sure you have a container that is large enough and that there is plenty of water on them whilst soaking as they can take up a lot of water and even double in size.

When cooking make sure that the cooking vessel is large enough as they can expand whilst cooking.

personally I'd recommend around 20mins for maple peas otherwise they turn to mush. Similar with maize. 

Thanks for this very useful reference thread started by Ian with additional input by CM , BC and Greekskii .

A question please , when you say " Cook " do you mean  bring to the boil , then turn down the heat to simmer , the cooking time starting from when you reduce  the heat to simmer ? .

:)  

1 hour ago, Big Common said:

I never boil particles as some are very starchy and end up as mush. I prefer to simmer and keep and eye on, bit like cooking rice. As long as I can squash between finger and thumb after the cooking process, then they are fine. Remember they will still be cooking in their own heat after they are drained. So I drain them when they are almost there. Think the times given are really a guide line, always best to give them a check and stir IMO.

Well put. Guidelines not a definitive how to. 

Make sure they are soft between thumb and finger. I tend to whack them in a bucket for a few days with the boiling water. They get extra cooking here as well. 

Things like nuts won't go soft between thumb and finger and don't need to be. I judge nuts on if they go a bit rubbery and translucent. I always bite one in half as a test. If they are on a par with your pre-cooked tiger nuts from a bait manufacturer you are good to go. 

4 hours ago, crusian said:

A question please , when you say " Cook " do you mean  bring to the boil , then turn down the heat to simmer?

Yes, one of a few mistakes I made in writing it; serves me right for trying to do it quickly and late at night after a couple on a school night.

Also need to change the "do not use cooked peanuts" :confused: should have read something like:

The preparation of peanuts by this method is intended when using unprepared / raw peanuts for soaking and boiling. The use of previously prepared (salted nuts, dry roasted etc..) should not be used.

Peanuts can also be called monkey nuts, ground nuts, goober or Arachis hypogaea and probably some other names.

Regarding the cooking boiling time of maples and maize, I've found they need longer and haven't ever over cooked maize, although I've let maples boil for longer and suffered the same fate as yourselves, I had written a load of guff about freshness and storage conditions of the particles but I edited it out as this was intended as a simple / quick guide; there are plenty of threads on here for enhancing and doing other things to particles, or refining the process - but a better experience based warning might be appropriate, I work on the theory that you can't re-soak after boiling - as a newbie it can be quite bewildering having ambiguous, misleading or simply too much information to go on (sorry crusian, and anyone else mislead by my ramblings and use of cook instead of boil :oops: ).

Re brazils (and other seeds (legumes, rhizomes, fruits etc.. )), hands up if I'm wrong, but nuts (technically fruits) etc.. start to change on a cellular level when they start to germinate, their cell walls start to break down releasing sugars and other nice things (energy) for it to grow into a big strong strapping plant / tree / shrub etc.. this is often triggered when they become moist replicating their natural environment of being dropped in the wild, shivering through winter and feeling those so lovely warm drops of rain in the spring time allowing it to shoot and leave. By soaking we start the reaction, and by cooking boiling, we speed up the already started chemical reaction (to a degree) making them nice and soft(ish) (partially digested by enzymes), each (long list of things used as a particle, but we'll call them a nut for now) nut will have changed by the soaking and boiling process, this will vary dependant on their make up and the length of time taken to soak and boil (nearly put cook :oops: ).

As usual I've waffled again so I'm sorry, although there has been some interesting input from all. Exchange "cooking" for "boiling".

Might need to edit a load of this again, we'll see :lol:

Edited by ianain
Told you!

Top work Ian. As we all seem to agree. You have to do it your own way by your own findings. We have some guidelines but experience is key. I prefer my maize a bit harder to avoid nuisance species. 

You then delve in to the realms of quality of what you buy. Hemp for example is a minefield. Soak for 24hrs and boil for 3hrs on a poor batch and you have a low split rate. Same timings on a good batch and you've decimated it. All a bit trial and error. Watch and keep testing it. 

Pressure cookers are brilliant for quicker boiling. But it's a fine line not being able to see the particles to check them. I once opened a pressure cooker after 15mins to find a mushy maple peas. 

At least the list started much longer than it is now!

Reality is that we fish according to the venue and the changes that occur throughout the season with the knowledge we have gained (good and bad); that to me is the key to angling, not using a method because its doing the business elsewhere but doing what we think will work - no one should be fishing the same way as they did on day one, it's constant change that keeps it interesting and keeps us thinking.

Each to their own though, it's about personal pleasure to me, and no ones a bigger personal pleasurer than me :lol:

12 minutes ago, ianain said:

it's constant change that keeps it interesting and keeps us thinking.

1 minute ago, Big Common said:

Couldn't agree more :)

That along with a good dose of banter, conspiracy theories, debunking / smirking at marketing claims and thread deviation :lol:

30 minutes ago, carpmachine said:

better than endlessly discussing ruddy hooks or lines, bring it on.

Those must be two of the least discussed subjects?

Hook sizes are certainly one of the most difficult for me, but it's where I bow to the experiences of better anglers; still think of them big hooks as gaffs :oops: But I suppose it's more species specific.

6 hours ago, ianain said:

Those must be two of the least discussed subjects?

Hook sizes are certainly one of the most difficult for me, but it's where I bow to the experiences of better anglers; still think of them big hooks as gaffs :oops: But I suppose it's more species specific.

I always use big hooks. a trade up between pick ups and landing fish. For me I'd rather land everything I hook at the cost of pick ups. But then again when you have 2lb bream hooked on size 4s popped up 2 inches with a 18mm/15mm pop up snowman you realise just how bad it may have been on smaller hooks and baits!