Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Hi everyone has anyone got any tips for keeping the gas bottle warmer during these cold winter nights?. I've got a cover for it but its usually got so cold overnight that the gas trickles out in the morning which is a pain when you're gagging for that first brew in the morning.

Thanks.

35 minutes ago, frogy said:

Hi everyone has anyone got any tips for keeping the gas bottle warmer during these cold winter nights?. I've got a cover for it but its usually got so cold overnight that the gas trickles out in the morning which is a pain when you're gagging for that first brew in the morning.

Thanks.

It's always a problem in the winter with gas bottles. Have a look for a cheap petrol stove for winter use. .. I used to fill a small thermos with hot water from my last brew up in the evening, before I got a Coleman. This can be used straight out the thermos, or heated quicker to boiling point on the low gas in the morning. Dave's right, the covers don't do a lot . By far the best thing to do imo, is get a petrol stove for the coldest weather. They kick out loads of heat too and can be used as effective heaters, when placed in the doorway. :)

1 hour ago, frogy said:

Thanks.

Try using an isobutene gas for winter. It should be good down to -10 whereas normal butane is only good down to 0.

I think Jetboil gas is made using isobutene.

Get Butane/iso-butane/propane gas canisters, rather than plain butane propane mix.

Simple tip; never boil more water than you need. 

I do laugh (and cringe) when I see 'go petrol stove'. After issues with Coleman stoves on the bank I will never ever use a petrol stove on the bank again. I had a Peak1 stove fail on the bank. It refused to open the valve, despite being properly serviced. After taking it apart, servicing it on the bank, it eventually sprayed me with petrol. Thank goodness my Mrs had the foresight to tip a bottle of water over my face and head.

Add to that, carrying a spare gas canister in the rucksack is easy, extra petrol is more awkward, needing a fuel can explicitly, plus the added risk of petrol on the hands as you fill up.

2 hours ago, cyborx said:

i just roll a spare canister up in my fleece and take it to bed with me, believe me it works :wink:

I get my dog to keep the spare canister warm, saves getting cold feet on one in the sleeping bag.