Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
salokcinnodrog

Trying too hard?

The topic that CM started about 'Sheer Luck' got me thinking.

I have struggled on Nazeing the past couple of years, and so try to analyse what is going wrong.

My current thinking is that I am not giving it the attention it deserves, not enough time, on the bank and at the venue, not enough feature finding, not baiting or fishing consistently, however I have caught a few decent fish. 

I'm also thinking that may be I am going for a couple of particular fish which are both at least 7lb than my current largest fish, compared to regularly catching. Part of that is I don't want to move onto the North until I have caught one or both of those two fish, as I don't think many of the others would beat my PB.

Do you sometimes think you try to hard to catch a particular fish, or even try to hard on a venue?

Wow that is a very hard question to answer. I see it is completely down to the individual on what they want to catch from each venue. I do suppose there is the chance of getting completely fixated by one or 2 fish and becoming obsessed with catching them, but i dint see that as trying too hard its obsessive.

I think life is too short to really get hung up by 1 or 2 fish but thats just my feeling there are many an angler that has lived on a water for that 1 bite a year. 

Gaz

Hard one for sure. 

I think you're only trying too hard somewhere if it's taking over and you get tunnel vision to areas of previous captures for certain fish or just using certain baits. 

I got sucked in by a swim on a club pit. My spot was being cleared out twice a week when baiting. I did 34 nights in there in a row without a carp. Just a tench and a pike. Why? Because I knew they were visiting as I'd seen them rolling on it. But whatever wasn't right wasn't right for me to get a run. I should have moved on but I became determined it would happen and it would be worth the wait. It never did and it almost ruined the lake for me entirely. 

Who was the guy that did 15 odd years after Mary and then finally caught her at her biggest weight? Or was that basil? Either way, was he trying too hard? Probably not, sometimes it's not your time to catch a certain fish until the carp gods decide.  

Hello Nick 

Before I attempt to post an answer to your question , are you enjoying your fishing ? .

Are you not tempted to find a water closer to home , as if I'm reading your post correctly you feel " guilty " ( if that is the right word ) that you should be doing better , but due to the travelling involved as you say you don't really have enough time ? .

I guess for me if I wasn't catching and couldn't realistically see myself catching then I would pull off a water unless I just loved being there , but then I am not as target driven as some on this forum ; I believe that for some the thrill of the " chase " is what makes them happy , but then they're weirdos ! :D .

I hope this rambling makes sense .

:)

17 minutes ago, crusian said:

Hello Nick 

Before I attempt to post an answer to your question , are you enjoying your fishing ? .

Are you not tempted to find a water closer to home , as if I'm reading your post correctly you feel " guilty " ( if that is the right word ) that you should be doing better , but due to the travelling involved as you say you don't really have enough time ? .

I guess for me if I wasn't catching and couldn't realistically see myself catching then I would pull off a water unless I just loved being there , but then I am not as target driven as some on this forum ; I believe that for some the thrill of the " chase " is what makes them happy , but then they're weirdos ! :D .

I hope this rambling makes sense .

Still enjoying my fishing, most of the time. Sadly there is nothing locally that floats my boat, or has fish to beat my largest with the exception of SWP, or maybe NS Fisheries, The Nunnery or West Stow, which are both a 30mile drive from mine, so half the Nazeing distance.

I would love to spend more time on Nazeing, but its the travel (petrol) costs, which would be the same or less as spending day ticket money on the Water Park. In fact I fill the car up with juice and its 400miles on a tank, which is less than 2 nights on Suffolk Water Park.

I also enjoy the freedom and space of Nazeing, which is not available on SWP!

I'm partly annoyed this year since April in a couple of losses, a hookpull, and a snap-off, either of which could have been anything from 20-45lb.

I don't think I have gotten fixated on a particular bait, I've used a few Test baits which I know work (having used them on other waters) as well as my own special pop-ups.

I know my rigs work, I've caught on them, on Nazeing and elsewhere.

Maybe its annoyance that I've seen others catch when I have blanked.

Just my head spinning I guess.

27 minutes ago, carpmachine said:

Lifes too short mate, enjoy your fishing, people climb mountains because they are there, the rest of us think them crazy, i am with you on this one.

I wonder if it's because you and I are roughly the same age CM that we are " on the same page " on this one ? .

27 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Still enjoying my fishing, most of the time. Sadly there is nothing locally that floats my boat, or has fish to beat my largest with the exception of SWP, or maybe NS Fisheries, The Nunnery or West Stow, which are both a 30mile drive from mine, so half the Nazeing distance.

I would love to spend more time on Nazeing, but its the travel (petrol) costs, which would be the same or less as spending day ticket money on the Water Park. In fact I fill the car up with juice and its 400miles on a tank, which is less than 2 nights on Suffolk Water Park.

I also enjoy the freedom and space of Nazeing, which is not available on SWP!

I'm partly annoyed this year since April in a couple of losses, a hookpull, and a snap-off, either of which could have been anything from 20-45lb.

I don't think I have gotten fixated on a particular bait, I've used a few Test baits which I know work (having used them on other waters) as well as my own special pop-ups.

I know my rigs work, I've caught on them, on Nazeing and elsewhere.

Maybe its annoyance that I've seen others catch when I have blanked.

Just my head spinning I guess.

Well at least you are not falling into the trap of incessantly  changing your rigs and bait .

Does it come down to location , location , location , or is it just not " your time " , if there is such a thing ? .

Try a 40 year wait for my first 20 and a 14 month blank..... thats when you question what the blinking flip you are doing.... if you are trying so hard that you stop enjoying  your hobby, there's summat wrong...  I took a step back to evaluate what I wanted... redefined my priorities thought   .... it...! and started fishing for smaller fish...  then the first 20 came along.... as soon as I took the pressure off myself everything fell into place

My trials and tribulations on my particular water are well documented on here. I'm still yet to catch a fish from there, but things are looking up.... I had my first run a couple of weeks ago!! Maybe I've cracked it at last lol!!???

The place has had me questioning my tactics for over a year. I've even questioned my sanity. But I'm learning, bit by bit.

There isn't a fish in there that will beat my pb. The biggest one swimming in there will come close, but it won't beat it. But that's not why I am there. 

I love the place with a passion. I could not think of a nicer place to spend my time. It's my bolt hole, away from the rest of the junk I have to put up with during the working week.

The bailiff, (Steve), comes around and sits with me. He is willing me to catch a fish. Out of the 70 members on there, nothing would give him greater pleasure than to see me catch one.

The secretary didn't think I was going to rejoin this year. Steve said to her "I bet he does". He can see that despite my lack of results, how I love being there.

5 minutes ago, B.C. said:

Great you've had a take too mate, massive encouragement I bet? .... 

It sure was mate.

It was like a "light bulb" moment, that's the only way I can describe it.

Out again on Tuesday for a day session. Tying up some new rigs today, going to try some Fluoro hooklengths just for a change. Haven't used them for yonks and they "might" just give me an edge with these easily spooked fish.

I'm using n-trap at the moment in silty black. My lake is silty, but with a carpet of dead leaves on the bottom and these are various shades of brown, including "light" brown....so I'm thinking that the black ntrap might not be ideal.

I'm hoping that the fluoro might be slightly better in this situation.

I've had some 15lb Soft Ghost in the bag for a while. About time I gave it a try! I might just use it on one rod to see if it makes a difference.

Edited by smufter

22 minutes ago, smufter said:

I'm using n-trap at the moment in silty black. My lake is silty, but with a carpet of dead leaves on the bottom and these are various shades of brown, including "light" brown....so I'm thinking that the black ntrap might not be ideal.

Personally don't think it makes much of a difference. Everything is camoflagued on the bottom. Black,green,brown they are all normal type colours to the fish. Dead fronds of weed on top of light coloured silt? Black on light brown. With the dead leaves there will be an array of colours on the bottom. I'd say black was the best option as it won't stand out much at all. Whereas a weed green colour will. 

2 minutes ago, greekskii said:

Personally don't think it makes much of a difference. Everything is camoflagued on the bottom. Black,green,brown they are all normal type colours to the fish. Dead fronds of weed on top of light coloured silt? Black on light brown. With the dead leaves there will be an array of colours on the bottom. I'd say black was the best option as it won't stand out much at all. Whereas a weed green colour will. 

See what I mean about overthinking?????

Just thought that a clear fluoro hooklink might be less noticeable than 10" of black coated braid.

Still going to have a bash with it, but as I say, on one rod only.

It' "might" (might) make a difference. And like the Tesco ad says.............. "every little helps"

8)

Always room to overthink things mate. Everyone does when the blanks pile up. 

You got a run in winter which is always a hard thing to do on your water by the sounds of it. Doing something right. 

I think the 'trying too hard' varies. Personally my trying too hard comes from the time and effort I put in to somewhere. I'm happy and confident in my rigs, bait, approach. 

Less of the jigsaw you need to put together the more you can focus on things like watercraft, location, what's going on there and then. 

Ive found the definition of "trying too hard" though. There was an angler who late last year, arrived for a few nights fishing to find the lake iced over. Instead of turning around he watched it for 8hrs to see where it thawed first. He then proceeded to fish said area and empty the lake of the 30s & 40s. Amazing angling but trying too hard imo. Go home and stay warm with the family. 

Nick, I do not believe that you can try too hard, what's the saying " if at first you don't succeed, try try, and try again" 

I think people can over think things, change to many things when its not necessary etc, but actually try to hard , never!

If I am happy with my bait, my rigs and I'm not catching then I know its down to, location, timing, get those right and your laughing.

Having said that, if I went fishing and it didn't make me happy, I wouldn't go, life is far to short for regrets.

50 minutes ago, smufter said:

See what I mean about overthinking?????

Just thought that a clear fluoro hooklink might be less noticeable than 10" of black coated braid.

Still going to have a bash with it, but as I say, on one rod only.

It' "might" (might) make a difference. And like the Tesco ad says.............. "every little helps"

8)

Ring the changes mate you never know that little change of hook length might make all the difference and get you that first fish. 

Good luck with your second season hope you get the fish you deserve after all the time you've put in on there. :)

trying too hard? personally i have always been of the "effort equals reward", at least in most cases. i know on my old syndicate i definitely went stale. i was on the lake too long but 2 fish kept me there and i'd say kept me there 4 or 5 yrs longer than i should of. by that time time the lake had become a circus and weekend fishing was an absolute nightmare. for a lake that i loved in my first few years on there, i left hating the place which i never wanted due to the amount of good fortune, good friends and good memories i took from there. i don't know your fishing nick but trying to catch just 2 in a lake that holds however many fish will be hard, unless you get them in the edge and can see them. i may of gone down the same route on my old lake but in hindsight i should of stuck with the numbers game. surely the more you catch the more chance you have of catching the ones you want.

4 hours ago, levigsp said:

Nick, I do not believe that you can try too hard, what's the saying " if at first you don't succeed, try try, and try again" 

I think people can over think things, change to many things when its not necessary etc, but actually try to hard , never!

If I am happy with my bait, my rigs and I'm not catching then I know its down to, location, timing, get those right and your laughing.

Having said that, if I went fishing and it didn't make me happy, I wouldn't go, life is far to short for regrets.

There are too many posts I would love to quote in this thread, but I think its the location and timing that are bugging me. I definitely enjoy my fishing, just being out there is more enjoyable than being sat at home.

It's strange, but at home I need background noise, music or television, just to be able to do anything. Outdoors I can sit quietly for hours watching nature, looking for fish.

I mentioned last year about fish spotting and forcing myself to wake up earlier when I was fishing, or getting there earlier. I manage the wake up earlier, but arriving at the lake at 5am in summer is still too much.

I know my rigs work, I use those same rigs on various waters, they have worked there and at Nazeing, previous captures cover that on Nazeing. I know my bait is good, again, worked there, and other waters. That may be my 360 or D-rig which I use for pop-ups, or the sliding ring rig for bottom baits and snowman.

Therefore the hard part is the timing, which is probably really only the times that I can't fish between sessions. Work is the curse of the fishing class:?:lol:

Seriously I wouldn't want to be fishing full time, but I think that my work patterns and location at the start of the trip may be slightly out. I say slightly, because I have caught this year, and more than some of the more regulars. 

I have one slight reservation, and that may be bait size. I have caught on big baits, snowman, 18mm topped with a 15mm, or even a 24mm pop-up. It may be that the bigger fish prefer smaller (plastic) baits that people have used to avoid crayfish problems, whereas I went the larger wooden ball route. I can easily go to smaller wooden balls, no problem, in fact, that sounds like a plan.

13 hours ago, bluelabel said:

Try a 40 year wait for my first 20 and a 14 month blank..... thats when you question what the blinking flip you are doing.... if you are trying so hard that you stop enjoying  your hobby, there's summat wrong...  I took a step back to evaluate what I wanted... redefined my priorities thought   .... it...! and started fishing for smaller fish...  then the first 20 came along.... as soon as I took the pressure off myself everything fell into place

Hello Blue

When you started fishing for smaller fish was it in conjunction with using your beautiful cane rods and centrepin i.e. maximising the catching experience , and / or fishing a water(s) that like Smufter you just loved being there so the size of fish isn't crucial  ? .

Bit of both... I think my step back did coincide with the purchase of my MkIV ... I reverted back to club waters rather than the bigger commercials like Bluebell and Linear... the first fish on cane was like an electric shock... and the size of the fish really didn't matter... I still have a carbon setup (2.75 dwarfs and 4000 size baitrunners)  but I only use them occasionally... the vintage stuff gives me more pleasure these days, but then as a near 60 year old I suppose I'm allowed a little eccentricity....

The thing is, reading through this thread folk seem to be pouncing on really little things in the pursuit of bigger and bigger fish and if thats their bag, fair play... I suppose every percent of confidence helps... me.... nowadays I don't overthink anything... a line, a bait, a hook and all put in a place there might be a fish... if I get a bite, fine, if not, well I've had a lovely day out....