Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jh92

Dogs and fishing

Recommended Posts

I've just introduced a mate of mine to White Cottage, and he has a Frenchie as a bivvy buddy. 

He bought him along for a 72 hour session the other week, what an absolute corker of a dog.

So well behaved, superb temperament and great character.

Steve, our bailiff, has a beautiful Collie named Jess. She's a right character, always wanting you to throw sticks for her, and if you do it the once, she won't leave you alone! She can hear a sausage roll being unwrapped from 300 yards away too!! 

I'd love a dog to take with me, but with the wife and I both working full time it rules it out for a few more years.

Edited by smufter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smufter said:

 

I've just introduced a mate of mine to White Cottage, and he has a Frenchie as a bivvy buddy. 

He bought him along for a 72 hour session the other week, what an absolute corker of a dog.

So well behaved, superb temperament and great character.

 

You sure it’s a frenchie smufter? That description couldn’t be further away from my frenchie 🤣😂 mines a little... (I best stop in my tracks I don’t want a ban) 

 

B30310F8-46DA-4FA0-A551-8FAFCC032D49.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait to get back on the bank, all this nice weather is driving me nuts. If I'm not working I'm with the pooch. Which is fine but being stuck in side all the time isn't. Really is starting to take its toll 😂 I can finally start taking her walks this Wednesday coming. But still have to wait another 3 weeks until she goes back for the lepto 4 jab.

I'm not sure if its a good idea to take her fishing until she's had the lepto 4 jab because most waters I know do have their fair share of rats lol. 

Another month and I'll be doing some fishing again. Killer 😂

Anyway here she is

20180528_075835.thumb.jpg.02c6b59e37a8603b0694d4f2abc9d77b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/05/2018 at 08:03, jh92 said:

I can't wait to get back on the bank, all this nice weather is driving me nuts. If I'm not working I'm with the pooch. Which is fine but being stuck in side all the time isn't. Really is starting to take its toll 😂 I can finally start taking her walks this Wednesday coming. But still have to wait another 3 weeks until she goes back for the lepto 4 jab.

I'm not sure if its a good idea to take her fishing until she's had the lepto 4 jab because most waters I know do have their fair share of rats lol. 

Another month and I'll be doing some fishing again. Killer 😂

Anyway here she is

20180528_075835.thumb.jpg.02c6b59e37a8603b0694d4f2abc9d77b.jpg

When I'm delivering the post a Staffie is one of my favourite dogs , most of them give you such a loving look , and the blue is such a cool colour .

🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/06/2018 at 12:37, crusian said:

When I'm delivering the post a Staffie is one of my favourite dogs , most of them give you such a loving look , and the blue is such a cool colour .

🙂

My old dog used to have a thing for the postman, for some reason she would go crackers every time he opened the gate and if she was in the garden, he would leave the post on the gate lol. Funny though because he met her a few times and she was good as gold, just wanted attention, but didn't like him coming in the garden lol.

 

The new pup is settling in great though, no more crying at night and no waking me up every few hours to go out. I fell victim to this according to the vet though. She would wake me up every morning at 4am, then again at 6am. I thought it was to be let out to go toilet, but the vet said shes doing it just to go out and there's no need to do it. So after a few nights of ignoring the 4am wake up call, she will sleep right through til 6am (when i get up)

Vets tonight for the lepto 4 jab, probably have to wait a week or two for it to take full effect. Then I'll be able to take her fishing all the time.. few hours every night after work, can't wait :D 

Do you think it's best to take her for a few short sessions first before we go try night fishing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jh92 said:

Do you think it's best to take her for a few short sessions first before we go try night fishing? 

Defo mate.

Mine was a bloomin' nightmare on the bank as a puppy. Wasn't much better as an adult tbf🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, yonny said:

Defo mate.

Mine was a bloomin' nightmare on the bank as a puppy. Wasn't much better as an adult tbf🤣

Not giving me much hope mate 😂

I'm hoping because she's still young and if we go enough she will get used to it.  She loves lying out on the back garden chilling so i just hope she's the same on the bank.. gonna take some chews and toys to keep her occupied (hopefully lol)

We'll try some short sessions on the river and canal to start with so if it does go south we can just pack up and try again the next day lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jh92 said:

Not giving me much hope mate 😂

I'm hoping because she's still young and if we go enough she will get used to it.  She loves lying out on the back garden chilling so i just hope she's the same on the bank.. gonna take some chews and toys to keep her occupied (hopefully lol)

We'll try some short sessions on the river and canal to start with so if it does go south we can just pack up and try again the next day lol.

Whatever happens she'll love it mate, so will you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, jh92 said:

My old dog used to have a thing for the postman, for some reason she would go crackers every time he opened the gate and if she was in the garden, he would leave the post on the gate lol. Funny though because he met her a few times and she was good as gold, just wanted attention, but didn't like him coming in the garden lol.

 

The new pup is settling in great though, no more crying at night and no waking me up every few hours to go out. I fell victim to this according to the vet though. She would wake me up every morning at 4am, then again at 6am. I thought it was to be let out to go toilet, but the vet said shes doing it just to go out and there's no need to do it. So after a few nights of ignoring the 4am wake up call, she will sleep right through til 6am (when i get up)

Vets tonight for the lepto 4 jab, probably have to wait a week or two for it to take full effect. Then I'll be able to take her fishing all the time.. few hours every night after work, can't wait :D 

Do you think it's best to take her for a few short sessions first before we go try night fishing? 

Yes there are quite a number of dogs that go mad behind the letterbox , but when you meet them they are calm and friendly .

I guess the dogs are just protecting their owners / their " manor " . One dog owner thought it's because Posties deliver bills and the dogs pick up on their owners getting upset when they receive these bills ? .

Let's hope your puppy is better behaved than Yonny's , I'm sure I'm not the only one that's looking forward to the 'photos .

😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, yonny said:

Whatever happens she'll love it mate, so will you.

 

13 hours ago, crusian said:

Yes there are quite a number of dogs that go mad behind the letterbox , but when you meet them they are calm and friendly .

I guess the dogs are just protecting their owners / their " manor " . One dog owner thought it's because Posties deliver bills and the dogs pick up on their owners getting upset when they receive these bills ? .

Let's hope your puppy is better behaved than Yonny's , I'm sure I'm not the only one that's looking forward to the 'photos .

😊

Strange isn't it. I remember someone saying it's because there's all different scents on the letters in his bag and it confuses the dog. who knows lol

All went well last night, we can go fishing in 7 days time. Even got a small bedchair sorted for her 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/06/2018 at 06:36, jh92 said:

 

Strange isn't it. I remember someone saying it's because there's all different scents on the letters in his bag and it confuses the dog. who knows lol

All went well last night, we can go fishing in 7 days time. Even got a small bedchair sorted for her 😂

Scents , hmm , that's interesting .

Let the countdown begin , and you have a  much better puppy experience than Yonny .

😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, crusian said:

Scents , hmm , that's interesting .

Let the countdown begin , and you have a  much better puppy experience than Yonny .

😀

Thought the same mate, not sure how true it is though lol.

I'll let you know how it goes. Should be fine but sometimes she seems a bit possessed 😂

 

teeth.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jh92 said:

Thought the same mate, not sure how true it is though lol.

I'll let you know how it goes. Should be fine but sometimes she seems a bit possessed 😂

 

teeth.JPG

From what I read I'm led to believe that's what quite a few anglers on the forum look like if they don't get their regular "  fishing fix " .😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe it. Had our first session planned for today and we couldn't go. Yesterday the dog had of snotty nose, today was worse so took her to the vets and it turns out shes got a respiratory infection. Weeks worth of antibiotics and tablets for her to do and lots of rest, hopefully get out for next weekend. What a downer, luckily though shes doing really well and isn't that ill except a runny nose and a bit of a cough, the vet we're luckily because it's only the infection has only just started so we're treating it before it was really bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/06/2018 at 22:34, jh92 said:

Can't believe it. Had our first session planned for today and we couldn't go. Yesterday the dog had of snotty nose, today was worse so took her to the vets and it turns out shes got a respiratory infection. Weeks worth of antibiotics and tablets for her to do and lots of rest, hopefully get out for next weekend. What a downer, luckily though shes doing really well and isn't that ill except a runny nose and a bit of a cough, the vet we're luckily because it's only the infection has only just started so we're treating it before it was really bad.

Well that's a damn shame , hopefully when the infection is cleared up and you can finally go fishing the weather will have cooled down .

🐶

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/07/2018 at 15:00, crusian said:

Well that's a damn shame , hopefully when the infection is cleared up and you can finally go fishing the weather will have cooled down .

🐶

Yeah mate she's getting a lot better though, decided instead of doing a few short sessions to start with, we're going for a 48 hour instead. On a res near me it's dog friendly that has a basic lodge a swim that you can rent for an extra £5 a night, so going to get that for 2 nights. Reckon she will love it. She uses a crate at home so I'll bring one with (got a collapsible one) for if she doesn't settle well at night, she knows the crate is her safe place lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the day off so took the dog fishing for the first time... nightmare lol. 

When we arrived at the lake I got the barrow loaded, hooked the dogs lead on the side and off we went. We had to cross a bridge which she cant walk across because the bottom is like a grid and her feet would fall in between so I sat her on top the barrow, wheeled across and got to our swim. It was going well until I pegged her lead down while I tried to set up, she didn't like being tethered and not being able to get to me, I had to get her to sit, give her a treat, set the rod up, another treat, cast out, treat, set the alarm, treat, and repeat for the second rod. Anyway I got there in the end and finally sat down, the dog had other ideas, as soon as I sat down, she jumped off the chair and started chewing the bark, didn't think that one through. She got bored after an hour so jumped back up on her chair and chilled for most of the day, but she had her moments where she got back down and chewed the bark again. I went to get it away from her and she managed to slip out of her harness...twice. Called it a day after at 5pm, packed up and made my way back. When I got to the bridge I put her on top the barrow to cross it and she thought it would be a good idea to try and get off, she slipped down the side and got her leg caught on the bungee strap, luckily she wasn't hurt. Got across in the end, got to the car and went home.

Few lessons from today I've learned is

Take solid bags already made and attached to a leader

Take lots of chews so she's interested in them instead of stuff on the ground

Choose swims easier to get to

Don't go in swims that have bark in.

Get a smaller harness

A fish would of been nice but at least it can't get any worse lol.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jh92 said:

Few lessons from today I've learned is

Take solid bags already made and attached to a leader

I was fishing with a mate a few years ago, he had a beautiful rottweiler called Bear (rip). He was lining up to cast a bag, hit it, and couldn't cast. Turned round and Bear was chewing away on the bag lol, he wasn't hooked thank God!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/07/2018 at 18:45, jh92 said:

Had the day off so took the dog fishing for the first time... nightmare lol. 

When we arrived at the lake I got the barrow loaded, hooked the dogs lead on the side and off we went. We had to cross a bridge which she cant walk across because the bottom is like a grid and her feet would fall in between so I sat her on top the barrow, wheeled across and got to our swim. It was going well until I pegged her lead down while I tried to set up, she didn't like being tethered and not being able to get to me, I had to get her to sit, give her a treat, set the rod up, another treat, cast out, treat, set the alarm, treat, and repeat for the second rod. Anyway I got there in the end and finally sat down, the dog had other ideas, as soon as I sat down, she jumped off the chair and started chewing the bark, didn't think that one through. She got bored after an hour so jumped back up on her chair and chilled for most of the day, but she had her moments where she got back down and chewed the bark again. I went to get it away from her and she managed to slip out of her harness...twice. Called it a day after at 5pm, packed up and made my way back. When I got to the bridge I put her on top the barrow to cross it and she thought it would be a good idea to try and get off, she slipped down the side and got her leg caught on the bungee strap, luckily she wasn't hurt. Got across in the end, got to the car and went home.

Few lessons from today I've learned is

Take solid bags already made and attached to a leader

Take lots of chews so she's interested in them instead of stuff on the ground

Choose swims easier to get to

Don't go in swims that have bark in.

Get a smaller harness

A fish would of been nice but at least it can't get any worse lol.

 

Well you certainly had a session to remember Jh92 ! .

Sounds like you'll be spending more on treats than on boilies .

I have to admire your positive attitude , it will be so rewarding when it all comes together .

😀🐶

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/07/2018 at 14:54, crusian said:

Well you certainly had a session to remember Jh92 ! .

Sounds like you'll be spending more on treats than on boilies .

I have to admire your positive attitude , it will be so rewarding when it all comes together .

😀🐶

Yeah mate, this weather is a bit of a killer though, hopefully it cool down a little bit soon and i'll be able to get back on the bank with her. To be fair though, it's gave me time to take her for walks around different lakes and look at some swims for us :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×