School fishing club

Pete Springate's Guns

4 minutes ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

As a Teacher in an Independent mixed School, ages 3-18, I’m keen to explore the possibility of a fishing club as an extra curricular activity. Any members on here have any experience or advise on how to progress?

Ta!

Nice to see someone trying to put something back in to fishing and get youngsters fishing:D

Couple of questions for you:

Do you have a local commercial fishery?

Is there a local fishing club nearby?

They could be worth contacting to see if they can put some days aside for you with the youngsters. Also local tackle shops to see if you can get discounted or donated bait and tackle.

At one of the local schools to Ipswich I know one of the teachers takes a group of lads out both along the free stretches of the river chub fishing and to Alton Water for days and afternoons out. He also teaches them about nature so they really enjoy the bird watching and nature at the same time as fishing.

If you go onto facebook and look for Alton Water Angling he is a member of that FB group and may be able to give you some tips.

1 hour ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

As a Teacher in an Independent mixed School, ages 3-18, I’m keen to explore the possibility of a fishing club as an extra curricular activity. Any members on here have any experience or advise on how to progress?

Ta!

That is an amazing idea, I wish that available to me when i was at school :lol:

I work at a school and take some of the students fishing every once in a while.  Due to the nature of the students I can only ever take two at a time.  I am lucky as I have a small fishery 10 mins drive away that allows me to teach the kids for a few hours.  I also have a small pet and angling shop a short walk from the school who help me out with bait requests at short notice and stuff.  So as Nick has already said you will need a friendly venue and if you can get any help then all the better.  The school will have to cover all the Risk Assessments and you will need to ensure that any help you get need to be CRB checked before contact with your kids.  Years ago at a different school I would take a small class of lads for an after school fishing club and if the weather was rubbish then we used to watch videos and discuss tactics.  All aspects of the angling disciplines were covered and the lads got quite good at tying their own rigs.  Casting lessons can be given on the school field and I even took them through a full 48 hr session set up lesson on the field once which they found really useful.   If you get enough interest then you should check out Les Webbers Angling Projects down near Wraysbury.  They have a fully functioning lake and lodge that is all enclosed and the kit can be supplied by them too.  All you need is transport, food, bait and adult helpers.  PM me if you need any specific help. 

Thanks for the positive replies fellas! Some really sound advice there. I’ll certainly get in touch with the Angling Trust.

Ideally it would be great to have a group of kids who were all into their Carp fishing; I’d certainly be confident of coaching them myself whereas it’s many years since I’ve done any general coarse fishing. There are a few young guys I teach who are really keen Carpers.

There are a number of commercial fisheries in the area, though I’ve no personal experience of fishing them. 

I’ll do some research with a view to starting something in the warmer weather.

Thanks again!

When I was at school (early eighties) we had a school fishing team and had a great time on the school match trips, they were weekend matches and we would go and stay over night with one of the other school teams before the match, this got us out of lessons on a friday and a trip in the school minibus ( smoking was allowed once we were out of view of the school lol , great time's , loads of fun and to be honest I think the teacher (who's name I can't remember) loved it too .