Bait colour in winter

Lumeymorris

I very rarely catch on bright hookbaits!

Other than fishing over Vitalin, I can count the number of fish I have caught on a bright toppered bait without using any fingers, thumbs or toes.

I suppose the exception was a couple of weeks at Thwaite; one week the going bait was Dynamite Green Zing, the next I caught on sweetcorn, with a fake one to pop it up, the week after the fish wanted Pineapple N-Butyric.

Nearly every fish I have caught on has been on ordinary colour baits, brown or red. My 'go to' garlic and spice pop-up is either dark red/burgundy or plain pop-up mix colour, my food bait is dark brown or brownish red. 

1 minute ago, Highy said:

Ive been using WHITE Nash Coconut Creme for abiut 9months now and nothing else...think its just the fact of WHITE i prefer...

How well have you caught?

The reason I ask, White Chocolate and Coconut Cream, in white, not a single fish for me!

I went right off using any sighters/toppers at all due to the birdlife usually spotting them before the fish do, more so in the winter when the water is crystal clear...... But this was on a shallow lake no more than 8ft at it's deepest.... I used to use half a Nash choc/white 10mm popup on one water, really just to balance the bait a little, but caught a few on it.... Same with DT Baits Strawberry and cream, which was flouro pink and 15mm...... I rarely buy pop ups anymore. For a white sighter I carry a few polystyrene bean bag filler balls, which are mixed sizes, very buoyant and can also be used to adjust the buoyancy of any cork ball pop ups I've made. For any other colours It's usually a piece of rig foam...... The bird life can be incredibly frustrating on a couple of lakes I've fished, so I even resorted to using black rig foam in an attempt to actually hide the bait and just rely on the food signal as an attractor........ If I do ring the changes and go for a bit of colour (if the birds are pestering someone else for a change), then I'd have to say that white and flouro pink are the two I prefer, no real reason, other than I've caught on these before.......:)

1 minute ago, Dannygooner said:

chopped down

I've always found that to be a good tactic, shaving a bit of the skin off will help release flavours/attractors quicker..... I think the real acid test for colours is to use a non bait item, as you can never be sure whether they are attracted to the colour or the different types of bait being used. I think Avid do some plastic coloured toppers/bait stoppers. I'm sure there's a science behind the colour thing, with light levels etc being taken into consideration. I've never gone down that route , as fishing is complicated enough for me. Even though I discount colour in the main (apart from Spring time), there's probably something in it, just can't be arsed to research it enough, so I always feel like I'm just guessing, probably why I don't read so much into it, like others do.

5 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I very rarely catch on bright hookbaits!

Other than fishing over Vitalin, I can count the number of fish I have caught on a bright toppered bait without using any fingers, thumbs or toes.

I suppose the exception was a couple of weeks at Thwaite; one week the going bait was Dynamite Green Zing, the next I caught on sweetcorn, with a fake one to pop it up, the week after the fish wanted Pineapple N-Butyric.

Nearly every fish I have caught on has been on ordinary colour baits, brown or red. My 'go to' garlic and spice pop-up is either dark red/burgundy or plain pop-up mix colour, my food bait is dark brown or brownish red. 

If I remember correctly, isn't red the first color to vanish in water? Over in the US, we have some brands(cajun line is one) of line that come in a red color, boasting that they become nearly or totally invisible so deep down in the water.

I'm wondering if one reason you do well with those boilies, besides the obvious food value, is some of them being red or reddish in color, and possibly being nearly or totally invisible in the water, and that carp are finding them mainly or purely by scent, they are far less likely to spook the carp then hi-visibilty baits, and even baits more naturally colored, but still fairly visible.

10 minutes ago, TnCarper said:

If I remember correctly, isn't red the first color to vanish in water? Over in the US, we have some brands(cajun line is one) of line that come in a red color, boasting that they become nearly or totally invisible so deep down in the water.

I'm wondering if one reason you do well with those boilies, besides the obvious food value, is some of them being red or reddish in color, and possibly being nearly or totally invisible in the water, and that carp are finding them mainly or purely by scent, they are far less likely to spook the carp then hi-visibilty baits, and even baits more naturally colored, but still fairly visible.

Some good points there. I think distance and depth come into play. In really deep water where UV light can't penetrate then certain colours will become less visible and almost blend into the background. I'm pretty sure that  blues are the first to do so.

Found this last year, clearly shows flouro green, flouro pink, and orange stand out, shame there wasn't a white one..... Remember though , these depths are at 150ft.

21 minutes ago, B.C. said:

Some good points there. I think distance and depth come into play. In really deep water where UV light can't penetrate then certain colours will become less visible and almost blend into the background. I'm pretty sure that  blues are the first to do so.

Found this last year, clearly shows flouro green, flouro pink, and orange stand out, shame there wasn't a white one..... Remember though , these depths are at 150ft.

Great video, interesting the way the depth affected some of the colors, some in ways I wouldn't have expected.

One thing I think also needs to be considered is water clarity, as that certainly effects light penetration into the water.

2 hours ago, B.C. said:

Think Nash bought out a purple bait not that long ago.

I know nash used to make purple monster squid, from what I’ve heard it was a wonder bait and caused massive uproar when they discontinued it. 

Also whychwood do the dpf mono coated in flouro line (I’ve used it) which is purple can’t say to much about it though....as we all know I never really catch much so can’t say weather it helped or hindered as I still didn’t catch much whilst using it  😂

5 minutes ago, spr1985 said:

I know nash used to make purple monster squid, from what I’ve heard it was a wonder bait and caused massive uproar when they discontinued it. 

Also whychwood do the dpf mono coated in flouro line (I’ve used it) which is purple can’t say to much about it though....as we all know I never really catch much so can’t say weather it helped or hindered as I still didn’t catch much whilst using it  😂

The DPF line is rubbish. Binned mine after putting up with it for about 10 months. If you google it, you'll find loads of people moaning about it. The idea behind it is that purple disappears under water. What's the point of a purple bait then???? lol!!

Since starting on the estate lake in June I've caught 51 carp. One of those to a bright red pop-up, 3 on washed out pink and 2 with a washed out orange topper on a snowman rig. 

Ive tried the hi viz baits but they clearly don't fish as well as matching coloured baits. Sometimes they just don't like fancy them. 

fish with what you're confident in. unless every fish on the water is coming out on a specific bait and you're struggling. Then buy that bait and try it on a rod. 

47 minutes ago, spr1985 said:

I think disappear is the wrong wording personally,  I think it “blends in” or is supposed to and it’s maybe the same principle with a purple bait..... blend in but give off the attractor package and as (I think) bc said above encourages investigation without blatant visual presence 

Point taken but it's still rubbish mate!! I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole personally!

:shock:

3 hours ago, B.C. said:

Interesting that the purple one and black one take on a more solid appearance, offering contrast...... Think Nash bought out a purple bait not that long ago.

Nash Purple Squid I believe.

I had a tub of mini pop-ups of them, probably got them with one of my B&F orders, and I caught plenty of tench on them fished on a mini hinge rig.

Thinking back, another water I used to fish in the winter, again every fish we caught came on food source baits, even though we tried a hi-attract hi-viz bait on one rod. No previous introduction of the bait, Bruce's bait was a pellet, birdfood mix flavoured with strawberry, cream and bergamot, mine was that Biollix with cinnamon and peach. 

"Strawberry" seems to have been mentioned a few times on this thread..... Bit off topic, but has anyone used a strawberry as a hook bait?  Seem to remember an old Matt Hayes vid where he compared the reactions of fish when offered a strawberry and a Ferrero Roche separately (This was in a lake, not a tank)... Anyway, they were all over the Strawberry. I remember a mate catching an upper double on a blackberry fished under an overhanging bush. He'd ran out of bait, it was a "just one last cast" situation...:)

10 hours ago, Lumeymorris said:

does it have to be a bright hookbait altogether or will topping it with corn be enough?

You don't have to have either imo, but this time of year I do prefer something bright. I'll generally stick with bright hookers right the way through until bites start to dry up when I'll move to something similar to my feed. Last year they didn't dry up, I used pink and white all year.

13 hours ago, Dannygooner said:

Hi viz never caught me a fish to date and I've tried 

It's crazy how when we have no success on certain baits we tend to write them off. I can completely relate to it; back in the day for many years I didn't use pop ups at all as I never seemed to catch on them. Then when I eventually did I started using them more and more. It's very rarely I use anything other than pop ups now, the deck has to be like a granite worktop for me to consider a bottom bait.

You should persevere with the hi viz jobbies @Dannygooner. I couldn't tell you how many carp they've caught me, especially in winter and spring. Once you're confident in them you feel like you just need to see one single fish and you'll be in with a genuine chance by whacking a little bright smelly one on their head!