Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Carp spawning is generally triggered when three major factors are favorable, water temperature, length of daylight, and water level.  Favorable water temperature is reached when it approaches about 60 degrees Fahrenheit; favorable water level is reached whenever the depth of the spawning area (shallow, grassy/weedy areas) reaches about 2 to 3 feet.

Does anyone know what the favorable length of daylight is?  

Thanks ~

Cactus Jack

1 hour ago, Texas Jack said:

Does anyone know what the favorable length of daylight is?  

Our fish usually spawn around May/June time in the lakes, probably slightly later in most rivers..... Based on that and considering our longest day is mid June when daylight hours are approx. 5am til 9.30 pm. you would be talking around 15/16 hrs of daylight. This is for "lake fish" in the UK.... 

Nature IMO, has no set rules, you can gauge a rough idea, but only the fish will know when it's time to spawn, they may go two or three times depending on how successful their first attempt goes. Different strains may spawn at slightly different times. The bigger fish, on the lakes I fish, will tend to go slightly later for some reason. I'm talking, the biggest dozen or so fish, perhaps a week or two after the main group have done their thing.

If you are talking river fish, then it would make sense that the submerged grassland would make a good nursery for the fry to hold up in out of the flow and away from predators. In our small lakes, they tend to just go for it, and if water levels are low you quite often see them spawning out in open water, probably over a gravel hump or bar, where the shallower water warms up quickest.

Good tip that I learned off here is, that, if you know of any spawning grounds, then at this time of year, heading towards Spring, the fish won't be too far away from these areas. This gives you something to go on, if fish sightings are hard to come by.

Will Have to disagree with you a bit there BC , there is a set rule that carp go by & that's lake temperature.  The water temp has to be around 18 c or above give or take for a good  few days before they will spawn or the eggs will simply die . 

1 minute ago, chillfactor said:

Will Have to disagree with you a bit there BC , there is a set rule that carp go by & that's lake temperature.  The water temp has to be around 18 c or above give or take for a good  few days before they will spawn or the eggs will simply die . 

Fair enough Chill, what I meant was that it's hard to pin it down, those conditions may occur in April, May, June etc.... watched them last year and for about 3 weeks they looked ready, all grouped up and a few half hearted attempts to go but kept hanging on. Like you say, the temp could have been hovering just under the 18c , there was the odd shower during this time. When they eventually went for it, they were going for 5 or 6 days, proper at it. Was expecting a few casualties, but luckily there were none spotted.... (Didn't know about the 18c rule, cheers for that)

Do you think that could be the main reason why not many make it? A slight drop in temps and all the eggs die before the fry hatch?  I'm always surprised at how few smaller carp are in a lot of lakes, even though they seem to spawn well each year... A lot will get predated on as fry or fingerlings, but just wondered if not that many hatch in the first place?

Could well be these days mate as the temp is up & down like a yo yo . The prolonged warm spells seem a thing of the past . 

I noticed smufter mentioned that spring is on the way .... well the last 5 years I've been winter fishing in April & into March, will be interesting to see if this years different as we have had a colder winter so far . But only last week it was double digits on the thermometer so its still up & down like a yo yo as we speak .

All my bees were out the other day thinking it was spring wasting important energy foraging for non existent pollen the weather patterns these days do play tricks on the wildlife including our carp .

I think ours have been going off earlier and earlier each year.  We used to have until end of July or at least mid-July before they started in the river and that's been changed for years.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.