Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, admin said:

interesting... it's not on mobile... in your mobile browser select browser options (top right 3 dots) (see screenshot) and select "request desktop site" this will switch into the desktop mode, you'll see the option and when done, turn off "request desktop site".

Screenshot_20170205-161156.png

I've done that, but still won't give me white text on black background. Much easier on the eye in the dark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

On the unread content page, if you click on the bit that says when the last post was made (i.e. 36minutes ago) that takes you to the latest post 

I've always clicked on the bit by the side of the thread title (circled here in magenta(ish)); as indicated; is supposed to take you to the first unread post, this hasn't worked a few times, I'm just assuming I'm doing something wrong. I just know that I can't help when you get the "loading", but found if you press f5 on the keyboard it loads up straight away.


scrnshot.png

 

I've no idea what the difference is between the circle and the star :confused:

 

That's not a mobile shot by the way, just a carefully edited screenshot :)

Edited by ianain
Formatting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, carpmachine said:

Dunno whether its just an old computer blind fogey like me, but I preferred it how it was.

You could well get used to it Steve, just have to look at it slightly differently; everything needs to look and behave like faceache or twitcher these days :evil:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, carpmachine said:

I guess that's fashion not function, yuk.

Nail firmly helped in with an incredibly large mallet. The fewer the syllables and facts used the better along with a complete lack of relevance to anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots said that about the last update steve. Unfortunately, there is no choice than to run with this. The owners of this site don't build it themselves. 

Give it a few days or a week or so getting used to it and finding the shortcuts that work for you, you'll be grand with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, InteraX said:

I've done that, but still won't give me white text on black background. Much easier on the eye in the dark.

changing post/topic background colour has never been part of this theme, during the past 2 years. this is the upgrade theme to v4 of the commerical forum software, we were on v3 which is going out of support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carpmachine said:

Mate, you had it right in the old format, this is not an improvement, sometimes the truth hurts, put it back buddy, we don't like it.

we were using v3 of ipboard and it's going out of support in April.  unfortunately the upgrade to v4 was the only option we had to continue receiving forum software security updates and bug fixes. we also had to upgrade to v4 of the theme as it's only compatible with v4 of the software.

the is no downgrading, as v3 will be history from April.  we've got all the new features and enhancements by ipboard, there are a lot of improvements like fulll mobile compatibility.

the truth be it, unfortunately the choice wasn't ours to make, it was either do (upgrade) or die (wait to be exploited).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ianain said:

You could well get used to it Steve, just have to look at it slightly differently; everything needs to look and behave like faceache or twitcher these days :evil:

this is the problem with the software vendors now a days, they're moving towards social media experiences.. which is out of our control.... that's what has happened with the major upgrade we rolled out, which was mandatory in order to continue with upgrade support and protection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a member of a Golf forum and have been on there for donkeys years.

About 4 or 5 years ago, the format of the forum was changed. People were up in arms, they'd never get used to the new layout, couldn't find their way around etc. etc. etc.

A couple of weeks down the line and all was well again, peeps got used to it, and wouldn't go back to the "old" forum.

It will come. Just like that screaming run. Eventually

8)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Do like this new update, i do understand that we need to move forward with the times.  

But seems like we are going backwards as well move away from app based posting .

 

   Sadly going to miss tapatalk and its features. Especially that use other forms,  am positive not the only one here.  

And setup to use tapatalk only no web browsing .  

@admin is there away to add the tapatalk keys to the server so we can still use it or they not going to  allow that? If thats the case are you going to have a app designed for carp.com forum  ? 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, David_Ridgers said:

 

Do like this new update, i do understand that we need to move forward with the times.  

But seems like we are going backwards as well move away from app based posting .

 

   Sadly going to miss tapatalk and its features. Especially that use other forms,  am positive not the only one here.  

And setup to use tapatalk only no web browsing .  

@admin is there away to add the tapatalk keys to the server so we can still use it or they not going to  allow that? If thats the case are you going to have a app designed for carp.com forum  ? 

 

 

 

I think I will also miss a number of features from Tapatalk, some of which I have already mentioned, but I will list the most important things below.

  1. White text on black background - Especially at this time of year with the long nights, black text on a white background is going to have several impacts to us fishermen.
    • There will be a increase in light from the phone, affecting night vision and making the user a lot more noticeable when on the bank.
    • Phones using LED based displays (Samsung, Apple the major ones I know of) will use more power.
  2. The ability to collapse sticky posts in a topic to a single line in Tapatalk makes browsing topics easier. I don't have to scroll several pages before seeing recent content.
  3. The size of a thread in the GUI has increased compared to Tapatalk. This is resulting in much more scrolling.
  4. Tapatalk gives the first couple of lines in the most recent post in the Topic view, speeding up review times.
  5. The subscribed content view of Tapatalk only shows a single entry per thread, whereas the current 'Content I follow' view on the forum shows each entry within a thread, resulting on a lot more scrolling required to review the same content.
  6. My web browser now asks for permission to access 'take pictures and record video' and 'Record audio' when I add photos to threads. I can deny it each time, but it's annoying.

Whilst I have found some similar settings to those in Tapatalk in the new mobile web GUI, the web GUI is a lot more cumbersome when used on a phone.

I understand the security implications associated with removing the Tapatalk plugin (I work in an IT department and have to patch a large number of systems monthly). However there is always a balance to be met between security and usability. With the current changes and peoples resistance to change, I think it's going to drive some users away from the site and onto other forums that are providing the Tapatalk plugin.

There was no notification of the update to the user base before the update or that Tapatalk was no longer going to be supported. Is there any chance you can let people know before the change next time. I would have been fired at work making any significant changes without notifying my users.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tapatalk was only implemented to resolve the short comings of the prior forum version (picture uploading), now this has been addressed in the major update, there is no need for it anymore and the rate it was being updated with fixes, it was getting silly on top of the forms own software updates.  The way it hooked into the forum backend wad a security concern, as we've had some issues of strange things happening, so the the simplest option was to keep it simple and remove any 3rd party dependencies. 

There is a drive to move to a mobile web, as the web standards evolve.

One of the key benefits of using mobile web, is once a change has been made everyone gets it at the next page reload, with apps, they're never updated and kept in sync.

The software upgraded out of the box, we got a lot of of the default settings a lot of you have complained as going backwards.... i've been finding the options and tweaking them.

Now the forum unread option will go directly to the first unread post, not last post, but first unread one... you might have missed 5 posts in a topic and it will now position it at the first of the 5 unread.  It was going the first post on the first page, now that have been reconfigured and take you to the first unread.

Moving from page to page hanging has been resolved.

The site is now on full SSL (https://) as this is a requirement from google for better SEO and soon browsers will give an insecure warning if not surfing over SSL, so this is now on by default.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, InteraX said:

I think I will also miss a number of features from Tapatalk, some of which I have already mentioned, but I will list the most important things below.

  1. White text on black background - Especially at this time of year with the long nights, black text on a white background is going to have several impacts to us fishermen.
    • There will be a increase in light from the phone, affecting night vision and making the user a lot more noticeable when on the bank.
    • Phones using LED based displays (Samsung, Apple the major ones I know of) will use more power.
  2. The ability to collapse sticky posts in a topic to a single line in Tapatalk makes browsing topics easier. I don't have to scroll several pages before seeing recent content.
  3. The size of a thread in the GUI has increased compared to Tapatalk. This is resulting in much more scrolling.
  4. Tapatalk gives the first couple of lines in the most recent post in the Topic view, speeding up review times.
  5. The subscribed content view of Tapatalk only shows a single entry per thread, whereas the current 'Content I follow' view on the forum shows each entry within a thread, resulting on a lot more scrolling required to review the same content.
  6. My web browser now asks for permission to access 'take pictures and record video' and 'Record audio' when I add photos to threads. I can deny it each time, but it's annoying.

Whilst I have found some similar settings to those in Tapatalk in the new mobile web GUI, the web GUI is a lot more cumbersome when used on a phone.

I understand the security implications associated with removing the Tapatalk plugin (I work in an IT department and have to patch a large number of systems monthly). However there is always a balance to be met between security and usability. With the current changes and peoples resistance to change, I think it's going to drive some users away from the site and onto other forums that are providing the Tapatalk plugin.

There was no notification of the update to the user base before the update or that Tapatalk was no longer going to be supported. Is there any chance you can let people know before the change next time. I would have been fired at work making any significant changes without notifying my users.

That's the thing i used other fishing forums with tapatalk its convenient the have all in one place . Ie vape fishing and others ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phil dalts said:

This is absolutely rubbish, scrolling all the time, Easier and quicker to post via tapatalk. If i had time to sit and scroll all day i would. Step backwards i feel, i wonder how many members you will lose as a result??? 

We looked at the tapatalk stats over the past 6 months.  

Reported by tapatalk, between 12 to 18 members a month used tapatalk to access carp.com, 12 in Jan, compared to the 22,523 which accessed the site via mobile device in Jan, prior to the mobile compliant upgrade.

Other facts like this forum is commercial software and the server needs to be leased, it's costs money.  Also tapatalk make their money monetising peoples traffic, which carp.com didn't get towards it's costs.

Forum security concerns via 3rd party software, as it hooked directly into the forum and had to be maintained frequently when bug and security fixes were patched.

Finally, it was only a temporary option as ip.board v3 was limited with regards to mobile functionality, and tapatalk helped people post their pictures via mobile.

Since the new forum is fully mobile compliant and has the same functionality as the desktop, and one less dependency to worry about and so as few were using it, It was decided it won't be returning.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, admin said:

We looked at the tapatalk stats over the past 6 months.  

Reported by tapatalk, between 12 to 18 members a month used tapatalk to access carp.com, 12 in Jan, compared to the 22,523 which accessed the site via mobile device in Jan, prior to the mobile compliant upgrade.

Other facts like this forum is commercial software and the server needs to be leased, it's costs money.  Also tapatalk make their money monetising peoples traffic, which carp.com didn't get towards it's costs.

Forum security concerns via 3rd party software, as it hooked directly into the forum and had to be maintained frequently when bug and security fixes were patched.

Finally, it was only a temporary option as ip.board v3 was limited with regards to mobile functionality, and tapatalk helped people post their pictures via mobile.

Since the new forum is fully mobile compliant and has the same functionality as the desktop, and one less dependency to worry about and so as few were using it, It was decided it won't be returning.

 

 

Stats ay! Was that actual users or just people having a look?? You google something like reviews and carp.com comes up or maggot drowners forum etc . Actual users prefer tapatalk ( i do) plus 2 other guys i know of. Plus every other forum uses tapatalk

Security? Dont make me laugh, i dont enter my bank details so only thing would get hacked is my email. I can deal with a few spam mails. I NEVER have sensitive data on my emails.

Just ruined it really, some guys may just sit in front of a laptop but as you say people access it on mobile.

Lets hope facebook doesn't follow suit!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, phil dalts said:

Stats ay! Was that actual users or just people having a look?? You google something like reviews and carp.com comes up or maggot drowners forum etc . Actual users prefer tapatalk ( i do) plus 2 other guys i know of. Plus every other forum uses tapatalk

Security? Dont make me laugh, i dont enter my bank details so only thing would get hacked is my email. I can deal with a few spam mails. I NEVER have sensitive data on my emails.

Just ruined it really, some guys may just sit in front of a laptop but as you say people access it on mobile.

Lets hope facebook doesn't follow suit!!

 

 

Security as in protecting the integrity of the forum.. security exploits in the tapatalk code.... we've had issues before, we don't make it public.

We've enabled SSL (https:) by default for your security, also it's a recommendation by google as soon browsers will start issuing warnings for sites that aren't SSL enabled.

The decision has been made as only 12 members used it in Jan to access carp.com. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, admin said:

We looked at the tapatalk stats over the past 6 months.  

Reported by tapatalk, between 12 to 18 members a month used tapatalk to access carp.com, 12 in Jan, compared to the 22,523 which accessed the site via mobile device in Jan, prior to the mobile compliant upgrade.

Other facts like this forum is commercial software and the server needs to be leased, it's costs money.  Also tapatalk make their money monetising peoples traffic, which carp.com didn't get towards it's costs.

Forum security concerns via 3rd party software, as it hooked directly into the forum and had to be maintained frequently when bug and security fixes were patched.

Finally, it was only a temporary option as ip.board v3 was limited with regards to mobile functionality, and tapatalk helped people post their pictures via mobile.

Since the new forum is fully mobile compliant and has the same functionality as the desktop, and one less dependency to worry about and so as few were using it, It was decided it won't be returning.

 

 

Stats ay! Was that actual users or just people having a look?? You google something like reviews and carp.com comes up or maggot drowners forum etc . Actual users prefer tapatalk ( i do) plus 2 other guys i know of. Plus every other forum uses tapatalk

Security? Dont make me laugh, i dont enter my bank details so only thing would get hacked is my email. I can deal with a few spam mails. I NEVER have sensitive data on my emails.

Just ruined it really, some guys may just sit in front of a laptop but as you say people access it on mobile.

Lets hope facebook doesn't follow suit!!

Why has this brought my previous post back?????? Not good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, phil dalts said:

Stats ay! Was that actual users or just people having a look?? You google something like reviews and carp.com comes up or maggot drowners forum etc . Actual users prefer tapatalk ( i do) plus 2 other guys i know of. Plus every other forum uses tapatalk

Security? Dont make me laugh, i dont enter my bank details so only thing would get hacked is my email. I can deal with a few spam mails. I NEVER have sensitive data on my emails.

Just ruined it really, some guys may just sit in front of a laptop but as you say people access it on mobile.

Lets hope facebook doesn't follow suit!!

Why has this brought my previous post back?????? Not good

Sorry, I found Tapatalk cumbersome, awkward and a pain in the bottom, so went back to Safari. Even on my old mobile I have always found the site easy to use, long before the last update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked Tapatalk after I got used to it.   Accessing the site on mobile isn't quite as nice, and on mobile there's an extra button to push, menu - activity - all activity vs just opening it up and hitting timeline on Tapatalk.  I didn't like Tapatalk at first, but that changed, and in a little time this format will get better, and we will learn to use it better.  I probably won't be using my phone to check in as much, I just posted a picture of my December knife wound using my phone, and ran into a pop-up minefield, which is very rare on my phone, (extremely rare).  I'm sure that will get fixed right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×