Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
carpmachine

Prebaiting, Thought for the day.

Hmm, the birds are starting to signal an early spring, but its still very cold, got piles of bait for prebaiting, usually start mid Feb, whatever water and rely on six weeks, so the birds are telling me one thing, and the temp tells me it will be a long winter, so seriously, should i hold back or not, instinct tells me to follow the birds, what do you reckon.

Long range forecast is for a cold Feb. Freezing overnight and some days wet and milder. Similar to last year. I had a result in early march through prebaiting. 

Personally I think the fish are getting hungry by end of Feb. They need to feed. 

Here’s a thought for the day for you all; inspired by the last couple of posts. 

Prebaiting. 

Is it selfish to pre bait a lake for? Even more so, if like Steve and others, including myself at certain times, you don’t intend to fish for weeks. 

5 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

Is it selfish to pre bait a lake for? Even more so, if like Steve and others, including myself at certain times, you don’t intend to fish for weeks. 

Don't think so at all. You're doing your own thing. The fishcwre getting fed and being active. Someone may happen to drop on your spot by accident and have a good session. You lose all your time and money. It's a risk you take. That's why I don't think it's selfish. 

6 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

Prebaiting. 

Fair question, prebaiting on an open lake where guys are free to pick any empty spot should benefit them as well as me and the fish, nothing more selfish than a spod bod scaring the hell out of wary fish and ruining it for someone already fishing, especially as on our lake its the kiss of death, so as Vik says, each to his own.

8 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

Prebaiting. 

i think at the end of the day you just have to look at the reasons why you would be pre baiting, if your reason is to turn the fish onto feeding earlier in the season then no because everyone benefits.

if your doing it to intro a new bait, then again no as you need a prolonged period to even stand a chance to succeed.

if your doing it with the intent of 'marking your territory' and expecting other anglers to respect your spots??? then yes you are being deeply selfish and shouldn't be surprised when those other anglers pee all over your marks :lol:

Going back to CM's original post , although Nige's question was interesting , I would follow the birds they must have a survival instinct that tells them when Spring / better weather is due .

2 minutes ago, levigsp said:

I'm glad people don't think its selfish, as I've been prebaiting a lake for nearly 2 years once a week every week and I've never wet a line in it yet!

Haha! That’s some forward thinking there frank!!! 

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:12, nigewoodcock said:

Prebaiting. 

I don't think it's selfish, it's good planning. No different to walking the lake to get yourself a head start. Others can do the same if they want to, but most can't be bothered.... If there are a few fishing when I turn up to bait, then I hold back a bit, mainly not to advertise my spots....  I think there are a lot of lakes, where, without prebaiting, you are really up against it.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 09:07, carpmachine said:

Hmm, the birds are starting to signal an early spring, but its still very cold, got piles of bait for prebaiting, usually start mid Feb, whatever water and rely on six weeks, so the birds are telling me one thing, and the temp tells me it will be a long winter, so seriously, should i hold back or not, instinct tells me to follow the birds, what do you reckon.

The daylight hours are getting longer, regardless of temps. Should provoke a reaction from the wild life. I'd be putting some in, but keeping an eye on the temps, it's so up and down, but the intermittent 2/3 day milder spells are what I'd be aiming at for pre baiting.

i would always watch the wildlife, not just birds but the nut guzzlers too.

birds have been building nests since late jan in a stand of firs in my garden and the sqizzers are STILL burying pine nuts and the free offerings from feeders, that says to me that the animal world is a tad confused as they are also chasing each other in mating rituals.

i would say that the secret kingdom is maybe coming to life a little earlier this year due to the mild winter conditions and that may mean that the fish are on the move too.

9 minutes ago, B.C. said:

I don't think it's selfish, it's good planning. No different to walking the lake to get yourself a head start. Others can do the same if they want to, but most can't be bothered.... If there are a few fishing when I turn up to bait, then I hold back a bit, mainly not to advertise my spots....  I think there are a lot of lakes, where, without prebaiting, you are really up against it.

What would be your thoughts if you were fishing and a guy rocks up, stoves in 5kg or more, then walks off. Comes back a day or two later and repeats???

6 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

What would be your thoughts if you were fishing and a guy rocks up, stoves in 5kg or more, then walks off. Comes back a day or two later and repeats???

i dont think my thoughts would be relevant but you can bet that if i were there for a few days i would have at least one trap on the edge of his area. :lol:

realistically tho, i don't think you would see this paragon of angling etiquette dumping his load in the lake as like most of us he wouldn't want to advertise and wot you dont see cant hurt you :wink:

Edited by cyborx

2 minutes ago, cyborx said:

i dont think my thoughts would be relevant but you can bet that if i were there for a few days i would have at least one trap on the edge of his area. :lol:

Ha! That’s the way!!! Lol

we do have an unwritten rule on the lake that if someone is fishing, you leave them to it and refrain from baiting up unless you are fishing. 

The few time i have pre baited on my Syndicate , i have always per baited away from the recognised spots.

That way the chances of anyone fishing over the work i have put in is very remote.

51 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

I wouldn't like it and I wouldn't do it if people were fishing. But plenty do it. You may not see them doing it if they are sensible..... The flip side is that you get the full timers putting just as much bait in throughout their 4/5 day sessions, very difficult to compete with that imo. Personally I don't chuck 5kg at a time in, it would kill it for a day or two at this time of year because of the stock levels. I've turned up 5 evenings in a row to put just 1kg of bait in before and decided not to because a lad was fishing. By day 3 I was getting to the point where his long session was affecting mine and everyone else's fishing, bait wise, by day 5, I thought sod it and put 3kg on a spot, ready to fish the next day. Quite a bit away from where he was fishing.

52 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

we do have an unwritten rule on the lake that if someone is fishing, you leave them to it and refrain from baiting up unless you are fishing. 

That's the way it should be imo... Easier to control on a syndi' where most people get along and often chat about how much bait has been going in..... Busy club lakes, people coming and going, hard to keep an eye on how much is going in. Probably half the reason for a blank, setting up on loads of bait for a 24hr session.

1 hour ago, nigewoodcock said:

Fish on his spot , the selfish pig , that'll teach him , especially if he's a lot smaller than me ! .

I was at the lake this evening after an early shoot from work, chatting to a member and putting the worlds to rite over both of our blank runs and up comes a a Bailif from one of the other club lakes (no tackle barring a baiting pouch tucked under his arm inside his open jacket) was quite free with info on another lake I asked about even showed me pictures of some of the beauty’s that he’d caught 😍. He then proceeded to tell me that a mate of his had done a week of 6am to 10pm sessions last year on the lake I was fishing today...I had to do everything in my power to prevent my jaw hitting the floor when he told me his mate had been pilling in 10kg a session!! I asked him if his mate was made of money and his response was “it just depends how much you want it”  each to his own where pre baiting is concerned I just do my own thing but 10kg a session on a 3 acre lake?? (Can I use this as my reason for blanking?)! The one thing that got be steaming from the ears in all of this is:- club rule = NO PRE BAITING ..........bailif with a baiting pouch and not fishing, and yes I saw him throwing handfuls in as he continued his walk tut tut tut......I gues he “WANTS IT” 

2 hours ago, spr1985 said:

I was at the lake this evening after an early shoot from work, chatting to a member and putting the worlds to rite over both of our blank runs and up comes a a Bailif from one of the other club lakes (no tackle barring a baiting pouch tucked under his arm inside his open jacket) was quite free with info on another lake I asked about even showed me pictures of some of the beauty’s that he’d caught 😍. He then proceeded to tell me that a mate of his had done a week of 6am to 10pm sessions last year on the lake I was fishing today...I had to do everything in my power to prevent my jaw hitting the floor when he told me his mate had been pilling in 10kg a session!! I asked him if his mate was made of money and his response was “it just depends how much you want it”  each to his own where pre baiting is concerned I just do my own thing but 10kg a session on a 3 acre lake?? (Can I use this as my reason for blanking?)! The one thing that got be steaming from the ears in all of this is:- club rule = NO PRE BAITING ..........bailif with a baiting pouch and not fishing, and yes I saw him throwing handfuls in as he continued his walk tut tut tut......I gues he “WANTS IT” 

There's always a few stroke pullers mate, as for putting 10kg a day in for 6 days, seems a bit ott to me...... Sometimes best not knowing what others are doing and just getting on with and enjoying your own fishing. If it's a good bait that's going in, then they will digest it quickly and be energised, if it's a bad bait then it will soon blow, so it's a win win situation..... That's how I would look at it.

39 minutes ago, B.C. said:

There's always a few stroke pullers mate, as for putting 10kg a day in for 6 days, seems a bit ott to me...... Sometimes best not knowing what others are doing and just getting on with and enjoying your own fishing. If it's a good bait that's going in, then they will digest it quickly and be energised, if it's a bad bait then it will soon blow, so it's a win win situation..... That's how I would look at it.

I couldn’t give a monkeys what anyone is doing mate I’m still happily blanking away......my turn will come 😉

Edited by spr1985